Final Post - I Quit

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Well, I only lasted just shy of two years....

I've not driven since Christmas Eve, except for Saturday air. 3-4 hours a night doing local sort, making nothing. Hearing "just hang in there, you'll be making the big bucks soon" for a year. Between that and "the benefits, though, are great" I am SO tired of hearing.

The carrot & stick routine has become worn out. The dream is dead.

Wife & I spoke about this, and I realized that, if offered a full time driving position tomorrow w/UPS, taking me off the pre-load, I would not take it. Without exception, the drivers in our center are miserable. There is no management, just order takers from above.

I purchased a 34,000lb 24ft Box Truck (Freightliner) a month ago, and put a small add in the paper for local deliveries.

I have worked a full day, every day, ever since. And don't need a diad or the ritual BS. And have money to pay bills. And I'm happy.

I've seen posts where people bitch & moan before, where they quit, and the response usually is "well, some people can't hack it". Hack what? I was being paid peanuts to unload boxes for 3-4 hours a night, and to be on call the rest of the time for free. What crap. I've heard that some people can "hack" water-boarding torture, too, but why would you want to?

Feels good to be getting back to the real world.

Thanks to you all for your past help. I'll pray for you all.

Michael

I've heard that some people can "hack" water-boarding torture,

According to my son, water boarding is not torture.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Good luck Michael. Like Ovah said, come back and let us know how its going and that there is life outside UPS.

Always respected people who went out on their own instead of working for a big corp like UPS where no matter what you do, "Its just a job".

Re-Raise

Good luck in whatever you do. I have to admit it is hard not to think back about some of your posts from a year ago when you were so confident about your future at UPS.

Unfortunately the full-time jobs aren't there. Our center is running fewer routes now then they were running in 85 when I started as a preloader. Add to that the fact that drivers are staying longer before they retire and the "carrot" gets even farther out of reach.

What is the solution? I don't know. More volume or hopefully the collapse of Fed Ex. I have seen dozens of quality part-timers who would have made great drivers come to the same decision. They just couldn't wait any longer.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Good luck Michael. Like Ovah said, come back and let us know how its going and that there is life outside UPS.

Always respected people who went out on their own instead of working for a big corp like UPS where no matter what you do, "Its just a job".

So you do not respect people who work for a big corp? :biting:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have thought about doing exactly what you are doing and starting my own courier business in and around the Harrisburg area. Glad to hear it is working out for you.

PADriver5

I've not driven since Christmas Eve, except for Saturday air. 3-4 hours a night doing local sort, making nothing. Hearing "just hang in there, you'll be making the big bucks soon" for a year. Between that and "the benefits, though, are great" I am SO tired of hearing.

Wife & I spoke about this, and I realized that, if offered a full time driving position tomorrow w/UPS, taking me off the pre-load, I would not take it. Without exception, the drivers in our center are miserable. There is no management, just order takers from above.

I purchased a 34,000lb 24ft Box Truck (Freightliner) a month ago, and put a small add in the paper for local deliveries.

I have worked a full day, every day, ever since. And don't need a diad or the ritual BS. And have money to pay bills. And I'm happy.

I've seen posts where people bitch & moan before, where they quit, and the response usually is "well, some people can't hack it". Hack what? I was being paid peanuts to unload boxes for 3-4 hours a night, and to be on call the rest of the time for free. What crap. I've heard that some people can "hack" water-boarding torture, too, but why would you want to?

Michael

Good luck to you! Now here's my story....Luckily I am not wasting 2 years of my life to realize UPS sucks. I was told in my original interview I was being hired as a scheduled driver and will work everyday. After orientation and a week on the job, I am told I will be an extra driver with no guarantee of how much I will make. Well I got bills to pay and with no guarantee I can't take the chance. And why the heck would I want to sit by the phone and wait for the call to go work for peanuts.

I thought UPS was a prestigious place to work. Imazing what you find out after getting on the inside.

P

pickup

LTD - best wishes on your new career path.

some words of advice - many a truck driver has become an independent operator and have gotten burnt. The money starts flowing in and based on the first month of income start proudly telling everyone how much money they are earning(for example, they will simply subtract the cost of insurance and fuel from the income and state the remainder as their income). They then proceed to pay off back bills and live high on the hog for a while and then sh-t happens.

A fuel pump goes or the tires that seem good to you have become so bald that not even the Hairclub for men can save them. Make sure you are putting money aside for a maintenance account for the anticipated (and unanticipated) expenses associated with maintaining your truck.

Also, the question of taxes. Many an independent trucker with money flowing to them have played the game of not paying or underpaying taxes to Uncle Sam and got away with it for a while but sooner or later the taxman came a knocking and did not buy into their reasoning that the income tax was never ratified by the states or that undocumented supposed expenses of your business were tax deductions.

Oh sure, you have some more leeway than guys who get their entire income documented on a 1099. I assume you are taking some or many cash paying jobs and thus that should remain undocumentable. (Yes, I am advocating ducking taxes if you can). But remember everything paid by other than cash will most likely have to be treated as income. If not , the IRS has a chance to detect it.

Also, question of your truck. I am not going to research this but it sounds like your truck is a commericial truck based on the weight (I assume the 34,000 lbs would be the weight of the vehicle and the full load) and thus requires the operator to have a class b c.d.l (or a Class A will cover it) . Another hint, does it have air brakes? If so, then you definitely need a cdl B (Minimum) with an air brake endorsement.

If the weight is correct and you need a c.d.l. , you are supposed to comply with your intrastate laws governing the operation of your vehicle such as hours of service (log rules) Intrastate rules of hours of service are usually more favorable than the interstate ones but they still apply. Cover your butt, know the rules, and know if and when you are breaking them . You may have to carry a log book. The Pennsylvania D.O.T. are tough , knowledgeable, and fair but they don't tolerate ignorance. They also like to set up their inspections and portable scales at any given rest area along the interstate. It might be best for you to avoid portions of the interstates where there are rest areas whether or not you figure out your duties as an operator of a commercial vehicle.

If you are doing any trips to other states, then you are now an interstate trucker and pretty much subject to those same hours of services rules that
govern the interstate tractor trailer guys that pull the 53 foot trailers. I said Penn D.O.T. was fair. By comparison, Maryland's D.O.T. is not. Don't go into Maryland unless your t's are crosses and your i's are dotted. Interstate operations mean also you getting an IFTA sticker(International fuel trade agreement????). I won't explain what that is about. If you are going across state lines, I gave you enough to figure it out.

Best of luck L.T.D. But, I hope we do not see a posting from you in a few months about how your truck burnt down and you didn't have insurance for that or that your license was suspended and you didn't know about it. Your truck and your license are now more than before , your livelihood. Protect them both.

By the way, a freightliner that runs on diesel has a fuel water separator that is difficult to use(if they are still designed the way they were years before ) You can't see the level of fuel and water and the petcock is hard to close(seems to close but will leak and your engine will stop running with air in the line and the procedure to bleed the air is a b-tch_. If that is still the case, replace the fuel water separator(like many trucking companies do) with one in which you can see the level and has a much more trustworthy petcock. And use it . If you don't eventuallythe water will collect and rise in the reservoir and then start remixing with the fuel and go into the combustion chamber.

If you have a diesel vehicle, read that owners manual and find out if you have a heatplug(I don't know if that is the term but it is something that preheats the combustion chamber when you are starting on a cold morning). If you don't give it time to work(which you do by turning the ignition key but don't start up and wait 30 seconds), you can slowly damage your combustion chambers. Should be something in the manual about that and there is probably an indicator light for it on your dash.

I am tired, I ain't editing and aint elaborating. I gave you more than enough. Good luck LTD.

P.S. Don't screw around with hazmat, you ain't got the permits or insurance to cover this. At least I don't think you do.

PADriver5

LTD - best wishes on your new career path.

some words of advice - many a truck driver has become an independent operator and have gotten burnt. The money starts flowing in and based on the first month of income start proudly telling everyone how much money they are earning(for example, they will simply subtract the cost of insurance and fuel from the income and state the remainder as their income). They then proceed to pay off back bills and live high on the hog for a while and then sh-t happens.

A fuel pump goes or the tires that seem good to you have become so bald that not even the Hairclub for men can save them. Make sure you are putting money aside for a maintenance account for the anticipated (and unanticipated) expenses associated with maintaining your truck.

Also, the question of taxes. Many an independent trucker with money flowing to them have played the game of not paying or underpaying taxes to Uncle Sam and got away with it for a while but sooner or later the taxman came a knocking and did not buy into their reasoning that the income tax was never ratified by the states or that undocumented supposed expenses of your business were tax deductions.

Oh sure, you have some more leeway than guys who get their entire income documented on a 1099. I assume you are taking some or many cash paying jobs and thus that should remain undocumentable. (Yes, I am advocating ducking taxes if you can). But remember everything paid by other than cash will most likely have to be treated as income. If not , the IRS has a chance to detect it.

Also, question of your truck. I am not going to research this but it sounds like your truck is a commericial truck based on the weight (I assume the 34,000 lbs would be the weight of the vehicle and the full load) and thus requires the operator to have a class b c.d.l (or a Class A will cover it) . Another hint, does it have air brakes? If so, then you definitely need a cdl B (Minimum) with an air brake endorsement.

If the weight is correct and you need a c.d.l. , you are supposed to comply with your intrastate laws governing the operation of your vehicle such as hours of service (log rules) Intrastate rules of hours of service are usually more favorable than the interstate ones but they still apply. Cover your butt, know the rules, and know if and when you are breaking them . You may have to carry a log book. The Pennsylvania D.O.T. are tough , knowledgeable, and fair but they don't tolerate ignorance. They also like to set up their inspections and portable scales at any given rest area along the interstate. It might be best for you to avoid portions of the interstates where there are rest areas whether or not you figure out your duties as an operator of a commercial vehicle.

If you are doing any trips to other states, then you are now an interstate trucker and pretty much subject to those same hours of services rules that
govern the interstate tractor trailer guys that pull the 53 foot trailers. I said Penn D.O.T. was fair. By comparison, Maryland's D.O.T. is not. Don't go into Maryland unless your t's are crosses and your i's are dotted. Interstate operations mean also you getting an IFTA sticker(International fuel trade agreement????). I won't explain what that is about. If you are going across state lines, I gave you enough to figure it out.

Best of luck L.T.D. But, I hope we do not see a posting from you in a few months about how your truck burnt down and you didn't have insurance for that or that your license was suspended and you didn't know about it. Your truck and your license are now more than before , your livelihood. Protect them both.

By the way, a freightliner that runs on diesel has a fuel water separator that is difficult to use(if they are still designed the way they were years before ) You can't see the level of fuel and water and the petcock is hard to close(seems to close but will leak and your engine will stop running with air in the line and the procedure to bleed the air is a b-tch_. If that is still the case, replace the fuel water separator(like many trucking companies do) with one in which you can see the level and has a much more trustworthy petcock. And use it . If you don't eventuallythe water will collect and rise in the reservoir and then start remixing with the fuel and go into the combustion chamber.

If you have a diesel vehicle, read that owners manual and find out if you have a heatplug(I don't know if that is the term but it is something that preheats the combustion chamber when you are starting on a cold morning). If you don't give it time to work(which you do by turning the ignition key but don't start up and wait 30 seconds), you can slowly damage your combustion chambers. Should be something in the manual about that and there is probably an indicator light for it on your dash.

I am tired, I ain't editing and aint elaborating. I gave you more than enough. Good luck LTD.

P.S. Don't screw around with hazmat, you ain't got the permits or insurance to cover this. At least I don't think you do.
You have outlined supposedly alot of potential headaches for him to ponder, but even all of that is nothing compared to the crap you have to deal with at UPS. I made way more $$$$ driving a truck interstate commerce than I could ever make at UPS. Regardless of what you may think, being an independent trucker isn't all that bad. I pay my taxes and don't have to worry about the tax man commeth. It's just part of the job. But for me I will gladly put up with my minor headaches rather than the major ones found at UPS.

P

pickup

You have outlined supposedly alot of potential headaches for him to ponder, but even all of that is nothing compared to the crap you have to deal with at UPS. I made way more $$$$ driving a truck interstate commerce than I could ever make at UPS. Regardless of what you may think, being an independent trucker isn't all that bad. I pay my taxes and don't have to worry about the tax man commeth. It's just part of the job. But for me I will gladly put up with my minor headaches rather than the major ones found at UPS.

I think you will agree with me , an independent trucker has to be smart and educated about what he is doing. I know a few that have been successful because they were disciplined and knew the boundaries of all of what there jobs entailed.(Not surprisingly, they are members of OOIDA, a fine organization that also points out the potentials headaches) Unfortunately, I've met many more who had the best of intentions and hopeful wishes but got screwed by those more knowledgeable than they were or they screwed themselves (I'll just mention the j.b. hunt lease/purchase program as one trap that has ensared many an unwary soul) This man in this video sums up very well the conclusion of many that entered that "path of independence"

Jb hunt lease purchase

You mentioned I outlined supposedly a lot of potential headaches for him to ponder . Not really, by pointing out what I did, I hope to avoid him having headaches. I don't mean to discourage living the dream but to help him continue living the dream so he doesn't come crawling back to ups with his tail between his legs . Better for me to explain hours of service and hazmat issues to him than for a d.o.t state trooper explaining it to him on the side of the road as he hands him a bunch of tickets.

As for my comment about license suspensions and fires not covered by insurance, you would have to read the entire thread to see why those seemingly smart-ss remarks were made.

I wish I had the brains and the will to be an independent. Those guys(that make it work) are truly a remarkable breed. Unfortunately, not many are in that league.
This is the progression of many of those who were not in that league: :happy2::happy-very::greedy::greedy::::surprised::knockedout::biting::angry-very2::whiteflag:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Good luck LTD. Even though you would infuriate me at times :peaceful:.

And great advice Pickup. For all the reasons you stated, and more, I chose to work for a big company. When I clock out I want to leave work at work. My father had his own business and while I admire those who take that path, growing up around it made me decide early on that it wouldn't be the life for me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've heard that some people can "hack" water-boarding torture,

According to my son, water boarding is not torture.
Funny how not everyone will follow in our footsteps.

I have thought about doing exactly what you are doing and starting my own courier business in and around the Harrisburg area. Glad to hear it is working out for you.
This is still a possibility. You can do both and grow the other business while you work here. That sure would help with your finances.

Good luck to you! Now here's my story....Luckily I am not wasting 2 years of my life to realize UPS sucks. I was told in my original interview I was being hired as a scheduled driver and will work everyday. After orientation and a week on the job, I am told I will be an extra driver with no guarantee of how much I will make. Well I got bills to pay and with no guarantee I can't take the chance. And why the heck would I want to sit by the phone and wait for the call to go work for peanuts.

I thought UPS was a prestigious place to work. Imazing what you find out after getting on the inside.
Yeah right, amazing.

Michael
Each person that has been hired into the preload/reload or whatever position, before driving, has had to wait to become a driver. We all have coped with waiting. We went out and got either full or part time jobs to sustain us until the day we became driver's. There are those that are doing this very thing right now. Some waits are short and some are long, but eventually the wait will be over.

You're quitting after "almost" 2 years of getting the same treatment that we all get or have gotten. If I would have quit after 2 years, I would never have gone driving in my 3rd year. Thank God I didn't quit. Time flies when you don't keep looking at your watch, as you have been doing.

What I don't get is how you went from hired, to driving full time, then back to part time, then fired, and now you're quitting. I know you'll come up with some excuse for why you couldn't just hang in there, like one of us, but I guess it's too late for all of that.

If there's one thing you need for any position, whether self employed or an employee, it's stability. You need to be a stable individual, that's not always coming up with silly idea's about how things could be better. Sometimes you just need to ride along the path for awhile. Get to know people. See things for what they actually are. Instead, you have chosen to abandon yet another opportunity, because you can do it better. At 40+ years I hope you find better, pretty fast.

Good Luck with your future endeavors.
Hey Db, why's your rep in the red?

I'm actually posting this for the benefit of the rest of the BC member's that aren't ignoring me. If it's all just word on a screen, why would you ignore them?

Last edited: