Final Post - I Quit

bigrig

:peaceful:good luck to you, ups dont wont employees believing they cant make it with out them. If you ask me there a whole nother life after ups.

NHDRVR

When I hear that someone is quitting UPS to do something/anything else I am at first, jealous, and second, really jealous. This wasn't the case around 10 years ago.

2 fellow drivers that I was very good friends with both went on comp. about 3 months apart. One was a back injury, the other was cancer. (both are doing fine now)

The first reaction we all have when we think of not getting the paycheck/insurance is 'What am I going to do about my family?'...

It's worse for those of us (me) that started with UPS at a young age (right out of college) and didn't have the experience of switching jobs or being laid off or needing to move, you get my point...

So, these 2 guys, one with a family and the other single, both said the exact same thing when they realized they wouldn't be coming back to UPS. It's only a job. Not a lifestyle, not a culture, not a religion. When they were removed from the daily grind at our center long enough they both remembered what a 'normal' job is. Scott worked for a friend when his back got better and his comp. was straightened out and Sean moved out west for a change of scenery.

Both said it was the best thing that ever happened to them.

So, good luck and enjoy the fact that you don't have this driving gig being held over your head.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
since he's gone, and not answering any questions, BBAGs tale certainly was interesting.

BBAG went from PT on the local sort, saying "I will be a full-time driver in no time". Most of us chuckled and tried to give him wise words of advice. That #1 it wasn't a permanent position, that #2 buying mgnt coffee and donuts and sucking :censored2: would not be appropriate and #3 to relax on the bragging and egotism.

BBAG eventually did begin cover driving, as a casual seasonal driver. He likely covered vacations, did misc routes and duties. He bragged and bragged " Yes, see I did become a driver in less than a year, it CAN be done!, har har"

The problem was, he would never make book as a FT driver and all he was doing was setting himself up for disaster. Running lunches, trying to suck up (coffee and donuts), would go nowhere with the company and union. Just like all of us, we all had to wait our turn.

Now with this latest termination for driving on a suspended fiasco, and other issues that have come up, it's basically time for him to hang it up (which I told him months ago). Unless of course he wanted to work the local sort, or try again as a part-time casual cover driver and TRULY wait his turn ;which of course is something he never considered doing to begin with.

So moral to the story ; if you are a union new hire just chomping at the bit to go driving, you MAY go driving. BUT chances are extremely low to nil that a new hire will see the money or make seniority sooner than at least several years of part-time slavery. So get in line and earn those stripes. :biting:

Re-Raise

He claimed for a long time that seniority rules did not apply to him and that by telling every management person he saw how badly he wanted to drive he would jump to the front of the line.

Pretended to be a 20 yr driver fired for hitting a dog under one alias. He also claimed to do some kind of big business shipping to China. You should really go back a year and read some of his posts where he claimed he was already a full-time driver and that it was "the easiest and most enjoyable job he ever had".

I don't want to be the first guy on here to say I told you so, but it is hard not to think it.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
There is life after brown. Hope your new gig works out for you. In the long run you will be much happier I'm sure. Even if you don't make the same money that you would driving the package car just not dealing with the package center bu-ls-it will be worth the difference in salary and your overall physical and mental health will benefit from it most definitely :peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm hearing a lot of, "you're better off now". Why? This guys track record has shown that he won't abide by anyone's rules, so how is it gonna be better for him now? Why is everyone saying UPS is so bad? You work, get paid, have weekends off, what could be better? It's a job that not everyone is created to do, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't stick it out when the going gets tough.

How tough did it actually get for LTD? So he was part time. So he didn't get the hours he used to get. And? How many part timers are gonna quit for this same reason? It's a high turnover job and the benefits are great. You do what you have to do to wait for full time. You deal with the same politics that you would in any arena. I look at it as there being one more job for someone that's eager to work for Brown.

NEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXT!!!

M

Mike23

Hmm, another person UPS didn't lay off. They'll cry it from the highest mountain top when in reality they did just as bad and cut hours so they couldn't live off what UPS gave them. Which is worse? Laying someone off so they can get unemployment or keeping them on with so few hours that they can't survive off the UPS pay check?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hmm, another person UPS didn't lay off. They'll cry it from the highest mountain top when in reality they did just as bad and cut hours so they couldn't live off what UPS gave them. Which is worse? Laying someone off so they can get unemployment or keeping them on with so few hours that they can't survive off the UPS pay check?
You're not really supposed to survive on a part time paycheck, Mike. It's just the crumbs you get before the gold. Do the math and you'll see that working 3-4 hours at $9hr will get you nowhere in life. You'll need to get another job to supplement your income till you go FT. It's either this or live with your parents and if you're smart, go to school. Either way, it's up to you to take charge of your life and not be like some sort of Tumbleweed blowing around in the desert.

This person was given solid advice by this board so that he could correct his misguided thinking about UPS. He did not heed this advice, and when the reality set in that he was just another one of us, he quit.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Had a few minutes, wanted to check the feedback, and all I can say is - wow. You are all alright. Thank you for the positive thoughts & wishes, sincerely. (Although I cannot see Steve's replies, I'm sure they are full of encouraging words, happy thoughts! :wink2:)

Pickup - Fantastic. No less than fantastic. Getting into it was very involved, but at least cut & dry. Do this to get this or that clearance. The way the real world works. (Unlike a union shop)

Yes, 34klb requires class B, I have class A w/air brakes. Was going to get HazMat, decided life is too short. Permits? Good God - DOT number, ICC MC filing, Log book, IFTA filing, Pennsylvania PUC, KYU, VIN, unbelievable.

You also made an excellent point about finally making money - some people will understand this, some won't; by going so long without money, I'm afraid to spend ANY, so I seem to be on the right track w/that.

As I said a year or so ago, UPS is my first time being employed by anyone else. It will also be the last.

A big clarification - As stated in my original post, I quit because I realized that, if I was offered the position to drive FULL TIME TOMORROW, I would not take it. Knowing that, I had no reason to stay. It had nothing to do with the wait, although that certainly didn't help anything, and I feel sending someone to driving school then making them unload boxes for a year is, well, stupid.

I strongly believe now that UPS counts on the fact that people say "Ugh, I have two-three-six years in, I can't quit now."

And, uh, no, I never got donuts or coffee for anyone. I joked about doing so, now people take it as truth. Funny, though.

Again, thanks for the positive thoughts / wishes.

P

pickup

Had a few minutes, wanted to check the feedback, and all I can say is - wow. You are all alright. Thank you for the positive thoughts & wishes, sincerely. (Although I cannot see Steve's replies, I'm sure they are full of encouraging words, happy thoughts! :wink2:)

Pickup - Fantastic. No less than fantastic. Getting into it was very involved, but at least cut & dry. Do this to get this or that clearance. The way the real world works. (Unlike a union shop)

Yes, 34klb requires class B, I have class A w/air brakes. Was going to get HazMat, decided life is too short. Permits? Good God - DOT number, ICC MC filing, Log book, IFTA filing, Pennsylvania PUC, KYU, VIN, unbelievable.

You also made an excellent point about finally making money - some people will understand this, some won't; by going so long without money, I'm afraid to spend ANY, so I seem to be on the right track w/that.

Okay, pal, it sounds like you are doing this legitimately and with more than a half ass notion. Good for you.

Maybe they did you a favor letting the sword of damocles swing over your head all this time. You just might be one of those guys who will thrive in a less restrictive environment. Good luck, living the dream.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I'm hearing a lot of, "you're better off now". Why? This guys track record has shown that he won't abide by anyone's rules, so how is it gonna be better for him now? Why is everyone saying UPS is so bad? You work, get paid, have weekends off, what could be better? It's a job that not everyone is created to do, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't stick it out when the going gets tough.

How tough did it actually get for LTD? So he was part time. So he didn't get the hours he used to get. And? How many part timers are gonna quit for this same reason? It's a high turnover job and the benefits are great. You do what you have to do to wait for full time. You deal with the same politics that you would in any arena. I look at it as there being one more job for someone that's eager to work for Brown.

NEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXT!!!

Steve, I have to agree with you! I have been with UPS for only 3 years and I still like the job. I like working for UPS and when I get to drive 2-3 times a week my check surpasses ANY other check I made working 50-60 hrs at my previous job I had for 13 years. (Take into account the benefits too).
I enjoy the driving part of the job, not only for the $, but I like it because I'm on my own all day, and nobody bothers me for the most part. Yea, the job can be tough at times, but I get satisfaction from doing a good job. (I DO IT FOR ME).
I do other side jobs to supplement some of my lost income, but I can tell you this job has less headaches than my previous job!!!!!!
You are correct when you say "This job is not for everyone!" I am glad this is true, because that gives me and others more of an opportunity to have a job that can lead me to a comfortable living in the future as well as the present.

beatupbrown

You made a smart move once you get into the machine you get caught in cogs unable to move out are in just a robot. Good luck there with pursuits in life.