Finally going back after 4 months on WC

H

hseofpayne

Finally going back to work after 4 months on WC. I will be returning to work with the same foot issues that sent me to the house. The only thing that changed during the last four months was my new found awareness that I am just a number and that WC is slow slow slow. I found out after 4 months that I will need to have surgery on my foot at some point for the nerve problem. Gee would have been nice to find that out 4 months ago..since the recovery will take 3 months whenever I do have it done..
I am not looking forward to Monday... I am sure I will be targeted big time. When I took my paperwork by today my center manager told me I better hit the ground running.. I said can you not give me a few days since I haven't worked in 4 months and he said no.. and then brow beat me over numbers... I cannot wait for the fun.
What is the deal these days if you do not have all of the saftey stuff memorized.. Is that cause for disipline??? Which stuff do I really need to get in my brain by Monday??
Any suggestions on how to survive the return would be appreciated.
I wanted to see if your foot problem was the same one I had 18 years ago. I had a planters neuroma,nerve tumor, removed from between my 3rd and 4th toes on my left foot. UPS took me to workers comp court trying to deny my injury was work related. I won but a lawyer got 25%, but at least I won. Now 18 years later, I had a wreck,not my fault, in the UPS car and have been out over 18 months. I thought I would let you know that if your condition with your foot was the same as mine,numness, pain when flexing up on front of foot, that the surgery to remove the nerve works. I have not had any more trouble for all these years. Good Luck

ups_vette

Lets cut to the chase here. Nowhere in the contract does it say we are required to recite flavor of the week keywords, catchphrases, etc. These things are dreamed up in some conference room in Atlanta and have no place in the real world. It has nothing to do with being paid for the time or not, it's not our job to help you pass safety audits. I've never recited any of the questions/answers correctly, guess how many warning letters I've received? Guess how many injuries? Guess how many accidents? I'll give you a hint, they are all the same numbe.

Mr. Griff.....OK, let us CUT TO THE CHASE. Exactly where in the contract does it state the you are NOT required to know all the safety methods prescribed by your employer, UPS? Where does it state that you are not required to pay attention and remember what you are taught while you are "on the clock" at the pcm? It has everything to do with being paid for the time and is required so it can be verified that you were paying attention to what you were taught while "on the clock" and can put into practice those safety skills.

What would your defense be in the case where you were involved in a major accident and it came to light that you didn't know the safety methods because, according to you, you're not required to know them because the contract doesn't say you are required to know them?
How do you think that will play out in a court of law when you're being sued for causing the accident?

Just because you haven't had an accident or injury to date dosen't make you a safe drive, it could be that you've just been lucky so far.

Griff

Mr. Griff.....OK, let us CUT TO THE CHASE. Exactly where in the contract does it state the you are NOT required to know all the safety methods prescribed by your employer, UPS? Where does it state that you are not required to pay attention and remember what you are taught while you are "on the clock" at the pcm? It has everything to do with being paid for the time and is required so it can be verified that you were paying attention to what you were taught while "on the clock" and can put into practice those safety skills.

What would your defense be in the case where you were involved in a major accident and it came to light that you didn't know the safety methods because, according to you, you're not required to know them because the contract doesn't say you are required to know them?
How do you think that will play out in a court of law when you're being sued for causing the accident?

Just because you haven't had an accident or injury to date dosen't make you a safe drive, it could be that you've just been lucky so far.

Yes, because the court of law really recognizes UPS's bazillion methods and working procedure guidelines as law. :blahblah:

brownman15

memorizing the safety questions does not make u a safe driver