Finally start full time package car on Tuesday...

DSM515

Come in early and sort your truck. Do not forget to organize your truck during lunch. One week into the route you should be scratching. Make sure you ask how you did the previous day, that will show them you care. Get as many signatures as you can that will help your time. If you follow the methods during your 30 days you will not make it... GL.
You don't get paid to work in your truck off the clock! I am a FT driver and think its theft not from UPS but your fellow PT Union brother who's underpaid as has to fight for every min they can get. Just saying.

opie

Make sure you get paid the right rate. Meaning if you as a PTer in your primary job, were making more than the starting wage for a FT package car. Then you get red circled until the progression catches up.

BrownArmy

You don't get paid to work in your truck off the clock! I am a FT driver and think its theft not from UPS but your fellow PT Union brother who's underpaid as has to fight for every min they can get. Just saying.

Another angle to this is that as long as the drivers fix all the problems, management won't know what the problems are.

(Actually, they already mostly know what the problems are, but they just won't fix them...it's not your job to fix managements' problems...)

ManInBrown

Come in early and sort your truck. Do not forget to organize your truck during lunch. One week into the route you should be scratching. Make sure you ask how you did the previous day, that will show them you care. Get as many signatures as you can that will help your time. If you follow the methods during your 30 days you will not make it... GL.

Curious. I start next week as a casual. Obviously doesn't affect me now (30 days) but down the road so I know why does getting sigs help your time? Also if anyone can help me out with some tips. I am coming from being a swing at Express and will be working in the same area I did there. So my route knowledge is extensive. What can I do to though to make a good impression. Since route knowledge isn't going to be an issue would you recommend I take my breaks? Just looking to do whatever it takes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a split driver? During road test with sup we took out a real bomb of a truck and he said get used to it. Most days you will probably have a truck like this because you will be a "split driver".

DS

Fenderbender
that, how did you cope with the first day jitters? I'm interested. .
I was hired off the street 23 years ago and I made it.
Just some advice,whenever possible,go through for load and make sure you have no express pkgs hiding in there.
Scan EVERY package and do a 6 sided check if you have a walmart or any business that gets lots of returns.
DO NOT scan anything as closed between 12:00 and 1:00 PM.
Just my advice here.Never get stressed out so much that you make bad decisions.
One stop at a time.If you need help for whatever reason,CALL the center.
God help you:peaceful:

DS

Fenderbender
Curious. I start next week as a casual. Obviously doesn't affect me now (30 days) but down the road so I know why does getting sigs help your time? Also if anyone can help me out with some tips. I am coming from being a swing at Express and will be working in the same area I did there. So my route knowledge is extensive. What can I do to though to make a good impression. Since route knowledge isn't going to be an issue would you recommend I take my breaks? Just looking to do whatever it takes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
At ups you get a small time allowance for a delivery that a signature is aquired.
It may be hard to get your full break until you establish a routine,but definitely ,take all your breaks.
You can check the operations report every morning to see how you did.
Not that it has anything to do with reality.:dissapointed:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Come in early and sort your truck Working off the clock, no. Do not forget to organize your truck during lunch No, lunch is for resting your mind and body. One week into the route you should be scratching Depends on what route you run. Make sure you ask how you did the previous day, that will show them you care Caring is irreverent, no need to speak to management unless spoken to . Get as many signatures as you can that will help your time If you mean getting signatures where non are required, that's padding your route. Do not attempt to get signatures for the sake of getting signatures. If you follow the methods during your 30 days you will not make it Yes, you will if you just keep busy and focus on your job instead of focusing on make believe numbers ... GL.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
"split driver" = a not so nice detail .
I know of one split who did Cambridge & then Weston , Mass. about 15 miles apart .

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm suppose to start tomorrow, but I won't be surprised if I get pushed back a week or two. It's ok with me personally. I can pay my bills. I know the route I'm training on the guy averages about 110 stops and 30 pickups. Around 45 miles a day. Delivers 300 picks up 250-350. Good times! I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks for the advice. I'm good about sorting my first 4 shelves. But I do it on the clock and I make sure I know what's on the floor under the shelves. I know to keep the wheels moving and not hunt down every little package. I can always go back (exceptions I know but generally.) I'm sure I'll be fine. My biggest concern is being out of shape. I know I'll get whipped into shape here but the pain and agony...oh the pain and agony...:funny:

Przemeknj

Ok half these guys here started before i was even born. It is a little different now then it was 20 years ago. Now they require you to scratch the route yo are on not only once but constantly. I do not work on my break but when i was trying to make book I sorted my truck because that saved me massive time. When you make book you can slow down drastecally, the more you deliver today the more you will have to deliver tomorrow.

Indecisi0n

Ok half these guys here started before i was even born. It is a little different now then it was 20 years ago. Now they require you to scratch the route yo are on not only once but constantly. I do not work on my break but when i was trying to make book I sorted my truck because that saved me massive time. When you make book you can slow down drastecally, the more you deliver today the more you will have to deliver tomorrow.

Agree. I am pretty much a by the book guy but now if you don't scratch (I don't care who you are) then you don't make book. It also doesn't help that the training routes are inflated like all the other routes.

stink219

OP, best advice I can give,
When driving, only focus on driving using the methods. Forget about what's in the back of the car, load quality or pieces. Once you get to your stop, only focus on delivering by the methods. Don't worry about anything else. When walking back after the delivery, look to where you need to be next. Repeat this all day.

sortaisle

One stop at a time kinda guy. I prefer to deliver my bulk stops first and air with ground. The beauty of this route (I'm told anyway) is your done with businesses by 11:30-12:00. Then it's lunch time and off to the races. The bummer is the 2:30 pickups. Plus a lot of my resis are a good bit away. I think I'm going to do the stuff that's far away first and work my way down...if ORION will let me. I don't want to deliver those hilltop, dark, no lit up address places at night.

ManInBrown

At ups you get a small time allowance for a delivery that a signature is aquired.
It may be hard to get your full break until you establish a routine,but definitely ,take all your breaks.

So no breaks in the beginning. And once I get a routine make sure I take all my breaks. Is that what you mean? I'm certainly going to have growing pains adapting from Express to UPS. The route knowledge is a plus but it's not everything. Learning Diad. Just from reading the board and hearing you guys talk the Diad definitely sounds more complex then the powerpads at Express.

sortaisle

Negative. Same crap just a different format for you I'd think. We don't run that much differently. The biggest things I've discovered is keep the wheels moving, park as close as possible to the delivery point, use the passenger side for exiting, and start and stop routine (buckled and moving in a smooth motion.) I imagine that much like FedEx, UPS package car is smooth is fast. You don't need to run around if you're smooth and know what's next.

ManInBrown

Negative. Same crap just a different format for you I'd think. We don't run that much differently. The biggest things I've discovered is keep the wheels moving, park as close as possible to the delivery point, use the passenger side for exiting, and start and stop routine (buckled and moving in a smooth motion.) I imagine that much like FedEx, UPS package car is smooth is fast. You don't need to run around if you're smooth and know what's next.

Thx. Good luck next week