Finally wrote down my hours for this week and I'm short 25 mins

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had pne time knew an air driver that he would ALWays get his hours messed with one holiday season they took away 22 hours out his check when he worked 55 hours that one week!
I find it hard to believe that there was 22 hour shortage on his check. That is a 40% shortage.

Did you notice who the poster was? I would suggest not even attempting to believe.

This song seems appropriate:
[video=youtube;9d3mbGD0n3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3mbGD0n3c[/video]

helenofcalifornia

Check with the OMS every day to make sure your hours for the previous day are accurate. Every day you do that and you won't have a problem. If you are having problems, this is an easy fix.

pretzel_man

Management are threatening to not show ORs here to people with hours missing. It's a dangerous game.

20 min time bonus for over 10 hours are not being paid. Accountability is easily avoided because all the sup needs to say is "I forgot".

This is nothing new at UPS, but it becomes glaring this time of year when the company is absolutely crunching for the best numbers before the end of the 4th Q. Sad excuse for a world class company in our neck of the woods.

The contract says you have a right to see your timecard. It says that your times cannot be altered (to change your pay) without your being told. It says they have to show you your hours worked.

You should exercise those rights. Its in the contract.

22.34life

sorry OMS?

oms is a managment person in the center that this person drives out of.on this thread people seem to think that the main problem is ups altering time cards but the real problem is the deception of the start and end times.im not saying that ups does not alter timecards but the real problem is p/t sup tells loaders start time is 12:15 but fails to tell him he wont start getting paid until 12:20,the p/t employee does not know how to read the computer time and does not know that 12:15 is 12:25 and 12:20 is 12:33.you would be surprised how many p/t guys in the hub dont even know how to read the time sheet at all or how many dont even look at it.i never have any time problems that i dont get resolved,if im short o/t then they give me an adjustment at o/t rate,its that simple.i check my time every day and their is not one thing that i will miss when it comes to my money,i dont care if its five minutes i catch it,i catch clicks and after a while they know not to jack with your time and if they do they just fix it with no problem.i once had a sup make fun of me for having him fix my time for five minutes,so i said thats 25 minutes a week which is almost half my hourly rate which is about 12 dollars,so i said just give me 12 dollars out of your pocket right now,then he had a differnet perspective.

oms is a managment person in the center that this person drives out of.on this thread people seem to think that the main problem is ups altering time cards but the real problem is the deception of the start and end times.im not saying that ups does not alter timecards but the real problem is p/t sup tells loaders start time is 12:15 but fails to tell him he wont start getting paid until 12:20,the p/t employee does not know how to read the computer time and does not know that 12:15 is 12:25 and 12:20 is 12:33.you would be surprised how many p/t guys in the hub dont even know how to read the time sheet at all or how many dont even look at it.i never have any time problems that i dont get resolved,if im short o/t then they give me an adjustment at o/t rate,its that simple.i check my time every day and their is not one thing that i will miss when it comes to my money,i dont care if its five minutes i catch it,i catch clicks and after a while they know not to jack with your time and if they do they just fix it with no problem.i once had a sup make fun of me for having him fix my time for five minutes,so i said thats 25 minutes a week which is almost half my hourly rate which is about 12 dollars,so i said just give me 12 dollars out of your pocket right now,then he had a differnet perspective.

hey this is exactly right.

Sometimes when I punch out, the "start" time is 10 mins later than I actually punched in. Why is this? I don't work for free.

Nimnim

The Nim
Minutes / Hundredths of an Hour
1 .02
2 .04
3 .05
4 .06
5 .08
6 .10
7 .12
8 .14
9 .15
10 .16
11 .18
12 .20
13 .22
14 .24
15 .25
16 .26
17 .28
18 .30
19 .32
20 .34
21 .35
22 .36
23 .38
24 .40
25 .42
26 .44
27 .45
28 .46
29 .48
30 .50
31 .52
32 .54
33 .55
34 .56
35 .58
36 .60
37 .62
38 .64
39 .65
40 .66
41 .68
42 .70
43 .72
44 .74
45 .75
46 .76
47 .78
48 .80
49 .82
50 .84
51 .85
52 .86
53 .88
54 .90
55 .92
56 .94
57 .95
58 .96
59 .98

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The contract says you have a right to see your timecard. It says that your times cannot be altered (to change your pay) without your being told. It says they have to show you your hours worked.

You should exercise those rights. Its in the contract.

Oh definitely, you are correct. I know the rights, it's just the company tests others who don't want to ruffle feathers this time of year. Like I said, it's a perfect time for the company to steal from it's employees and stave off any pay grievances until the new year. With all of the helpers and seasonals, it's very easy for the co to steal because most of them do not write down hours. it's all about those 4th q earnings.

Another FT on Thursday was missing 16 hours of OT in his check, btw. 16 @ 37/hr.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I suppose you are correct, I do shift the blame onto the employee. When I fully investigate a claim that an employee of mine was underpaid, and I discover that the employee actually made a calculation error in their own tracking of their hours and they were not underpaid, I guess I do shift the blame onto the employee. I always do it in a polite and professional way.

You will notice that when I find the error was on UPS' part, that is were I put the blame.

The fact that you find that condescending and audacious make me wonder, what would you do?
If you found out the error was on the part of the employee would you still place the blame on UPS management?

Or were you just intentionally misinterpreting my post to fit your moral agenda?

BrownIEMan, I bolded the part that was condencending.

"So some evil sups took away 22 hours from a weekly paycheck" is what you said. That is a nasty comment to make from someone polite and professional. Would you say that in the office with a steward, too, when confronted? "OHHHH well you think some evil sup took away 22 hours from your weekly paycheck"
95 or 98% of pay errors are not the employees fault, period. The person who approves the hours ARE RESPONSIBLE, ultimately. Beyond that, yes, an employee may occasionally make an error recording hours and bring it to attn of management. That is by far not the norm.

helenofcalifornia

Nimnim, impressive! If start times are what's messing you up, that is an easy fix. When I had issues with my check, I started being best friends with my OMS (management person who in my building, sends out all the messages on the DIAD, answers phone calls, puts out fires AND can correct time cards before they are sent in. I rely on her to fix things (yikes, like my lunch times when I want to take a 1/2 instead of an hour lunch) and give her a Christmas present every year.

I hope all this info helped you. I don't think UPS for the most part intentionally screws you over by shorting you hours. Maybe someone keyed it in wrong if they were "correcting" time cards. I do see a PT over achieving supervisor doing it to make himself look better though, but I don't think this policy of his would last long. FT management would come down on him for it.

Merry Christmas!!

Nimnim

The Nim
I've never been 100% sure why UPS chooses to convert minutes to hundredths for timekeeping, but it does allow the system to short people small amounts of time, which adds up to a nice chunk of change in the long run.

Say you work 7 hours and 58 minutes 2 days, it'll calculate it as 7.96 + 7.96 = 15.92. If you convert that back to minutes it'll read as 15 hours and 55 minutes shorting 1 minute along the conversion. I'm not aware of the system having anything in place to catch those losses, but if someone does please let me know.

pretzel_man

I've never been 100% sure why UPS chooses to convert minutes to hundredths for timekeeping, but it does allow the system to short people small amounts of time, which adds up to a nice chunk of change in the long run.

Say you work 7 hours and 58 minutes 2 days, it'll calculate it as 7.96 + 7.96 = 15.92. If you convert that back to minutes it'll read as 15 hours and 55 minutes shorting 1 minute along the conversion. I'm not aware of the system having anything in place to catch those losses, but if someone does please let me know.

If I were to guess, it goes back to manual systems and reporting. I spent a month once in the 70's doing manual operation reports. This was before there were computerized WOR's. Everything was in hundredths. It would have been a killer to try and do the math in minutes.

Are you sure that 58 minutes is rounded to .96 and not .97? Its improperly rounded....

On the other hand, one minute is rouned up to .02 giving 12 extra seconds of pay..... Maybe one day systems will pay by the second....

Nimnim

The Nim
If I were to guess, it goes back to manual systems and reporting. I spent a month once in the 70's doing manual operation reports. This was before there were computerized WOR's. Everything was in hundredths. It would have been a killer to try and do the math in minutes.

Are you sure that 58 minutes is rounded to .96 and not .97? Its improperly rounded....

On the other hand, one minute is rouned up to .02 giving 12 extra seconds of pay..... Maybe one day systems will pay by the second....

I'd have to see if I could check, I merely googled for a conversion chart and copied that, I had no desire to do 60 calculations of minute to hundredths.

Though given your example of 1 minute being rounded up giving extra time I do suppose it's possible that in the long run it evens out, unless you're quite unlucky.

pretzel_man

I'd have to see if I could check, I merely googled for a conversion chart and copied that, I had no desire to do 60 calculations of minute to hundredths.

Though given your example of 1 minute being rounded up giving extra time I do suppose it's possible that in the long run it evens out, unless you're quite unlucky.

In my example 1 minute rounded up.

In the example od 58 minutes, it was not rounded properly. It should have rounded to .97. Rounding to .96 does not properly compensate. I really don't remember UPS conversions.

brownIEman

BrownIEMan, I bolded the part that was condencending.
"So some evil sups took away 22 hours from a weekly paycheck" is what you said. That is a nasty comment to make from someone polite and professional. Would you say that in the office with a steward, too, when confronted? "OHHHH well you think some evil sup took away 22 hours from your weekly paycheck"

Good question. I am not really sure, but I just might. Remember, I made that statement in response to this statement:
I had pne time knew an air driver that he would ALWays get his hours messed with one holiday season they took away 22 hours out his check when he worked 55 hours that one week!

So if a steward were coming at me with this tone, and accusing me of being the "they" that "took away" near half of someones check, yes, I might respond with that admittedly less than polite and professional statement. However, I do not really know as I have never been approached in this manner by a steward. Even the ones that love to get righteously indignant and yell at supervisor's that I work with are smart enough not to buy that a sup would intentionally short 22 hours hoping no one would notice.

95 or 98% of pay errors are not the employees fault, period. The person who approves the hours ARE RESPONSIBLE, ultimately. Beyond that, yes, an employee may occasionally make an error recording hours and bring it to attn of management. That is by far not the norm.

Your experience is not my experience. About half the time when a payroll issue is brought to my attention it is either a miscalculation or a misunderstanding on the employees part. Many such issues I have personally dealt with - Employee calculates hours wrong. Employee complains about an unpaid sick day when that bank is empty. Employee tries to grieve lack of holiday pay when they were no-call no show the day before and called in the day after the holiday.
The vast majority of hour errors in my experience on UPS part are in two flavors - 1)Sup forgets to change the sched start time in the system before the sort start and must manually correct every employee's sched start after the sort and misses some. Absolutely the Sup's fault. 2)Employee forgets to punch in and or punch out and cannot be reached after the sort, sup puts in a card based on estimated hours.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Let me put it this way . If the people responsible for imputing the time and paying the peeps were disiplined ( written up ,suspended and or fired ) for all the "mistakes in pay" shortages,not getting vacation pay when due etc. There would not be any problems. Whats good for the goose.........Honestly sometimes I think they treat people like cannon fodder.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Let me put it this way . If the people responsible for imputing the time and paying the peeps were disiplined ( written up ,suspended and or fired ) for all the "mistakes in pay" shortages,not getting vacation pay when due etc. There would not be any problems. Whats good for the goose.........Honestly sometimes I think they treat people like cannon fodder.

Nahh ... that would be too expensive. :wink2:

pretzel_man

Oh definitely, you are correct. I know the rights, it's just the company tests others who don't want to ruffle feathers this time of year. Like I said, it's a perfect time for the company to steal from it's employees and stave off any pay grievances until the new year. With all of the helpers and seasonals, it's very easy for the co to steal because most of them do not write down hours. it's all about those 4th q earnings.

Another FT on Thursday was missing 16 hours of OT in his check, btw. 16 @ 37/hr.

So, you believe that UPS would not steal from you, because you "know the rights". They would prey and steal on the weak "who don't want to ruffle feathers". According to you, this is an outright conscious and deliberate conspiracy.

I don't understand why you post these criminal allegations here instead of contacting a lawyer, the district attorney, or the department of justice.

Your allegations are a serious violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Under the FLSA:

The Department of Justice ("DOJ") can bring criminal actions for "willful" violations of the FLSA. A violation is "willful" if it is deliberate, voluntary, and intentional.
Enforcement actions by the DOJ can be brought instead of or in addition to lawsuits by the Secretary of Labor for back wages or injunctive relief. So, in cases involving willful violations, an employer can be ordered to pay liquidated damages and back-pay, as well as any criminal fine or penalty that is imposed by a court.
Criminal penalties under the FLSA are:
  • A fine of up to $10,000 on the first conviction
  • A fine of up to $10,000, or a term of imprisonment of up to six months, or both, on all convictions after the first conviction
Some have said that these are honest mistakes (by both sides). You say that it is criminal behavior

Instead of posting here, do the right thing. Call the appropriate authorities.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Nahh ... that would be too expensive. :wink2:
I don't believe that there is a company wide management conspirancy to steal money. Mostley it is callousness or ineptitude by sups. I do believe there is an occasional shaving of minutes to make numbers but that is me "call me kookie."

22.34life

Nimnim, impressive! If start times are what's messing you up, that is an easy fix. When I had issues with my check, I started being best friends with my OMS (management person who in my building, sends out all the messages on the DIAD, answers phone calls, puts out fires AND can correct time cards before they are sent in. I rely on her to fix things (yikes, like my lunch times when I want to take a 1/2 instead of an hour lunch) and give her a Christmas present every year.

I hope all this info helped you. I don't think UPS for the most part intentionally screws you over by shorting you hours. Maybe someone keyed it in wrong if they were "correcting" time cards. I do see a PT over achieving supervisor doing it to make himself look better though, but I don't think this policy of his would last long. FT management would come down on him for it.

Merry Christmas!!

this thread is another good example of the huge gap between drivers and p/t hub guys that have only been here a year,of course managment is not going to try the same things with employees who have been here for at least 5 years.these p/t hub guys are only 18-21 years old most of them its their first job and ups preys on them and bullies them.believe me this is a common thing in the hub.