Fired for dishonesty policy

upser1978

I signed for a customers package at a business cause they were on the phone. They caught me and I admitted it. They fired me and now i'm going to the panel. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a pretty good record so far. Not sure what to expect.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Didn't Clinton teach you anything???

Does the customer dispute what occurred? Can you get a statement from the customer that you did this as a courtesy to them, and not as any type of attempt to be dishonest?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I signed for a customers package at a business cause they were on the phone. They caught me and I admitted it. They fired me and now i'm going to the panel. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a pretty good record so far. Not sure what to expect.

Theres more that is needed to understand the complete circumstances BEFORE anyone can give you any advice..

First, answer these questions...

1) after you signed for the package, did the package turn up missing?
2) after you signed for the package, did you advise the customer where you placed it?
3) before you signed for the package, did you make contact with the customer?
4) before you signed for the package, did you just assume the customer was busy and signed for it and walked out?
5) did the customer call and claim the package was lost?
6) did the customer talk to YOU first before they contacted the company?
7) Was there even a claim filed on this package?
8) how did the company become aware that YOU signed for the package before you admitted it??
9) did you have a steward with you when you were questioned about this delivery?
10) Who trained you to sign for packages when customers are busy, or did you make this decision yourself?

You have to explain all these first, before anyone can advise you what to expect.

Thanks.

Peace

TOS

upser1978

It wasn't a signature required package it was a no DR. Customer called and complained that they didnt sign for their package. Even if they would of approved of me signing it UPS would not of cared. I was just trying to do the customer a courtesy cause i felt safe leaving it. I'm assuming i will have no problems at the panel i admitted all my wrongs.

CAFAL

I use sdn all the time for customers that are busy,as a courtesy to them. I will not wait in line at a store,or interupt people dealing with their customers. I do have a good relationship with all my customers though. Goodluck. I don't see it as a problem.

CAFAL

I use sdn all the time for customers that are busy,as a courtesy to them. I will not wait in line at a store,or interupt people dealing with their customers. I do have a good relationship with all my customers though. Goodluck. I don't see it as a problem.

I also will NOT ever sign a customers name

upser1978

Yes. I learned my lesson already. I just don't know how far they are going to take it. I hope the Teamsters can work something out in the panel for me. I'm not sure how those work out. I have never been to one. I was told they generally come to an agreement unless you really are a habitual offender.

packageguy

I will tell you in our center, if you are a problem child they go for your job.
If you have a clean record with attendence, lates, service failures, and so on.
You would get time served, or company would ask for 2 weeks union would
fight for 5 day suspension. good luck

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
They did receive the package. They just misplaced it. No claim was filed and no package was missing.

You didnt quite answer the questions...

You said THEY misplaced the package? But you didnt say whether you made contact with the customer after you signed for it.

Regardless, the company must feel as if you intended on being dishonest with the delivery. While you may have admitted it, this may not work out for you.

It may help if your record is clean, not a discipline problem or you have no such deliveries in your history.

I really question your judgement as to why you would even attempt this and felt comfortable doing it. Wouldnt it have been alot easier to just have DR'd the package and put a note in the comments line???

You can always explain a business DR.

We all encounter situations like this all the time, and sometimes the easiest thing to do is not the right thing to do. Should you prevail, I hope you learn that we wait until we get it done correctly.

Peace

TOS

upser1978

I have been off for 3 weeks now waiting for the panel. I'm assuming when they work out a deal they will just say suspension for time served. also we are short drivers for peak I think the timing works out to my advantage. What happens if they dont reach an agreement at the panel?

I have been off for 3 weeks now waiting for the panel. I'm assuming when they work out a deal they will just say suspension for time served. also we are short drivers for peak I think the timing works out to my advantage. What happens if they dont reach an agreement at the panel?
You either lose your job which is final and binding or it gets deadlocked and it moves to the next panel.

upser1978

So it is your first posts story or your second? It went from a bussiness on the phone to no DR that you felt comfortable signing for. Which is it?
It was a package that the company that sent it didnt require a signature. I delivered it and left it.. they misplaced it in the office and found it. called cause they thought they didnt receive it.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Our Local 104 Package Rider has this language in Section 2, pp7: "The first offense of signing for a package where dishonesty is not proven, will not result in discharge or suspension. The second such offense shall be cause for immediate discharge."

Might ask why it's OK once out here in good old AZ as long as you own up to it but not where you are.

menotyou

bella amicizia

It wasn't a signature required package it was a no DR. Customer called and complained that they didnt sign for their package. Even if they would of approved of me signing it UPS would not of cared. I was just trying to do the customer a courtesy cause i felt safe leaving it. I'm assuming i will have no problems at the panel i admitted all my wrongs.

They did receive the package. They just misplaced it. No claim was filed and no package was missing.

Yes. I learned my lesson already. I just don't know how far they are going to take it. I hope the Teamsters can work something out in the panel for me. I'm not sure how those work out. I have never been to one. I was told they generally come to an agreement unless you really are a habitual offender.

Ok.. I heard a majority gets settled at the panel though unless you're a real friend#$% up

It was a package that the company that sent it didnt require a signature. I delivered it and left it.. they misplaced it in the office and found it. called cause they thought they didnt receive it.
So, you signed for a non-signature package at a business as a courtesy to them. They somehow picked up the package and, yet, misplaced it. They called the center(?) to complain that they didn't sign for it. So, in that scenario, they knew they had the package, but were upset they didn't sign for it? I thought they misplaced it?