Fired for misloads

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's bulk? Most preloaders cannot differentiate stops, unless they say RDR, RDL, RDC, FL1, etc... Those were the days when a loader would load your car the best way according to your delivery needs.

Bulk to me is 5 pieces or more for a single stop.

That is why I used the word experienced. An experienced loader will take what PAL gives him and load the car in the most efficient way both for him and for the driver. I just lost an experienced loader and now have to train his replacement.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

That is why I used the word experienced. An experienced loader will take what PAL gives him and load the car in the most efficient way both for him and for the driver. I just lost an experienced loader and now have to train his replacement.
What happened to your loader, move up or on? I wish you luck with the new loader. Good loaders are few and far between. I've had the same guy for years now and he's still loading boxes of paper on the top shelf, UGH.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What happened to your loader, move up or on? I wish you luck with the new loader. Good loaders are few and far between. I've had the same guy for years now and he's still loading boxes of paper on the top shelf, UGH.

It was going to be at least 5 years or more before he would get a FT job so he left to become a prison guard.

browniehound

I would agree with this defintion of bulk-stop. Many times you get the bulk stop that is not assigned to RDR, RDL, RDC FL4, FL3 etc because its not a normal occurance for that address. It really gets under my skin when my pre-loader, experienced or not(I blame the PT supervisor that trained him), puts 25 cases of books addressed to 65 Maple street and have 'zone numbers' such as 1 of 25, 2 of 25, 3 of 25 etc. in section 3000 because thats what the PAL/HIN # instructs him to do.

However, why does he ignore 50% of the other PAL/HIN #'s (which are individual house call stops) instructing to load them from 3100-3999 on the floor directly under where he loaded 25 parcels for one stop on the shelf?

I don't get it. Wouldn't he realize after the 5th or 6th package that all 25 were going to the same address and wouldn't shortly realize after that he wouldn't have any other room left on the shelf for the othe house call stops? Again, I blame the trainer but C'mon. I'm under pressure to make my SPORH base on the fact that the load is loaded stop-for-stop. I know this is a pipe-dream, but it should at least be 'section loaded'

All the time we were supposed to gain from PAS/EDD goes out the window when the pre-loaded pulls a stunt like this as we were told we can easily do an extra 10 stops because "you won't have to sort now". BWAHAHA!

However, in defense of PAS/EDD I never sort my truck, ever. Whether this saves me time or not is yet to be determined. Seriously, I never sort and I'm in a 1200. When my 18 inch selction area is empty I push all the packages forward and they are all in the order that the preload put them.

Obviously, I spend time "digging" and this when I throw the next few stops forward if I happen to find them, but I haven't stood there and sorted the truck in 6 years. I may have a few times when I had down time waiting for a pick-up but NEVER more than that.

This is what UPS wants, correct? I hope so because this my practice and its something I like about work methods...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I would agree with this defintion of bulk-stop. Many times you get the bulk stop that is not assigned to RDR, RDL, RDC FL4, FL3 etc because its not a normal occurance for that address. It really gets under my skin when my pre-loader, experienced or not(I blame the PT supervisor that trained him), puts 25 cases of books addressed to 65 Maple street and have 'zone numbers' such as 1 of 25, 2 of 25, 3 of 25 etc. in section 3000 because thats what the PAL/HIN # instructs him to do.

However, why does he ignore 50% of the other PAL/HIN #'s (which are individual house call stops) instructing to load them from 3100-3999 on the floor directly under where he loaded 25 parcels for one stop on the shelf?

I don't get it. Wouldn't he realize after the 5th or 6th package that all 25 were going to the same address and wouldn't shortly realize after that he wouldn't have any other room left on the shelf for the othe house call stops? Again, I blame the trainer but C'mon. I'm under pressure to make my SPORH base on the fact that the load is loaded stop-for-stop. I know this is a pipe-dream, but it should at least be 'section loaded'

All the time we were supposed to gain from PAS/EDD goes out the window when the pre-loaded pulls a stunt like this as we were told we can easily do an extra 10 stops because "you won't have to sort now". BWAHAHA!

However, in defense of PAS/EDD I never sort my truck, ever. Whether this saves me time or not is yet to be determined. Seriously, I never sort and I'm in a 1200. When my 18 inch selction area is empty I push all the packages forward and they are all in the order that the preload put them.

Obviously, I spend time "digging" and this when I throw the next few stops forward if I happen to find them, but I haven't stood there and sorted the truck in 6 years. I may have a few times when I had down time waiting for a pick-up but NEVER more than that.

This is what UPS wants, correct? I hope so because this my practice and its something I like about work methods...
That was a great rant, but, no they don't realize. They look at the sequence and place the pkg there, and then the next and next. They are not paid to divert from the routine. All the pkgs in the pkg car? Okay, go punch out!

browniehound

That was a great rant, but, no they don't realize. They look at the sequence and place the pkg there, and then the next and next. They are not paid to divert from the routine. All the pkgs in the pkg car? Okay, go punch out!

OK, then why the miscellanous ones PALed/HINed to that section go on the floor while 25 of one HIN # go on the shelf? I've yet to hear a logical answer. You say look at the sequence and place the package there, but the sequence says to put the other 40 packages on the shelf but they end up on the floor. Why those and not the bulk stop?

pissedoffmanager

This goes back to training, when I was trained long before PAS we were told to recognize these type of things! However now, the loaders are told to load by the numbers, and once the shelf is full with a certain number to mark it and move the rest to the floor. Does that happen? Rarely! PAS is a great tool, but it has not been optimized to the full potential, full potential should be dispatch managers who instead of sitting on their butts all day doing add cuts to even stops should be looking at residential bulk and commercial bulk! PAS can and some day will be utilized to its potential when they weed out all of the dispatchers who don't have a clue, when I was a manager and wanted to discipline dispatcher for this type of thing, I was told I couldn't because she was female! Your center needs to have COMPETENT dispatcher and loaders with common sense! Neither of which will ever happen with todays UPS training!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OK, then why the miscellanous ones PALed/HINed to that section go on the floor while 25 of one HIN # go on the shelf? I've yet to hear a logical answer. You say look at the sequence and place the package there, but the sequence says to put the other 40 packages on the shelf but they end up on the floor. Why those and not the bulk stop?
And there you have the dilemma that we all face. Whether it's a lack of training/common sense, who knows? It would be nice to have the ability to hang with the loader for an hour and give them an idea, but there's no budget for thinking.:dissapointed:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

As a preloader, I have to say that it is not that easy to make adjustments on the fly. With splits (or as the new school says add/cuts) coming in the middle or end of the work day ( I get 2-3 add/cuts per day, 15-50 pieces on 4 trucks) and then heavy zones not coming until also later in the AM, you simply can't do these things on the fly.

We are not given the proper time allowance to go back into the trucks at 7:30am and start moving around stops. If I get a zone of 50 boxes going to one stop in the 3000 section and it happens at 6:30am and 3000 is already full on floor and half of shelf, you have to get creative. Yes, there are probably preloaders that don't give a damn and this doesn't apply to them. There are also skilled preloaders that know what they are doing, yet they don't have enough time to even blink nevermind tear apart trucks to improve the load.

I get roughly 1000-1300 peices per day, 4 trucks. Allegedly the 4th heaviest pull of 60 in the hub. Time allowances are bogus just like for driving. The load quality is what it is, just as the time allowances are.