Fired for not using load stand properly..

Hey guys

I'm new to this forum, but have a pretty serious question.

I was hired about a month ago @ UPS, passed the training and first week. The other person that I trained with quit, because she said that she had a better job offer.

Anyway the training all seemed normal. They were firm with everything, but seemed fair. The supervisor on the ground told me the very first day, "Go home, nobody wants you here." This was not in a joking tone and it really bothered me. When I told my other co-workers they just laughed and said, "that's just him, he does that to everybody". But I was concerned so I still told the lady in HR and she said she would try to see if it could be resolved.

Whenever I had to clean the sides of my trailer I would bend at my knees to pick up the packages, but not go all the way down to the ground, because I was trying to keep my pph [packages per hour] at 300. Also when I would use my load stand every once in a while I would forget that the first step was there and just get off by stepping down the front. I didn't think that was a big deal, because I'm tall and the load stand is already not that big anyway.

Well, my supervisors all complained that I wasn't bending at the knees enough and not using my load stand properly. I would work with other employees that wouldn't even use the load stand and they were never told anything about it, but as soon as I didn't use it they would say something or write it down.

So today I had to sit down and talk to a manager and he said that because I was written up for not using my load stand properly and not bending at the knees enough that he "couldn't recommend my employment at United Parcel Services".

Nobody else was yelled at for not using the load stand the entire time I was working there. Could this be because I reported the supervisor he said something to me the first day?

Thanks.

barnyard

KTM rider
Could be.

Could be that they decided that you could not be trained and fired you before your 30 working days were up. The job is not for everyone.

InsideUPS

Hey guys

I was hired about a month ago @ UPS, passed the training and first week. The other person that I trained with quit, because she said that she had a better job offer.

Anyway the training all seemed normal. They were firm with everything, but seemed fair. The supervisor on the ground told me the very first day, "Go home, nobody wants you here." This was not in a joking tone and it really bothered me. When I told my other co-workers they just laughed and said, "that's just him, he does that to everybody". But I was concerned so I still told the lady in HR and she said she would try to see if it could be resolved.

Whenever I had to clean the sides of my trailer I would bend at my knees to pick up the packages, but not go all the way down to the ground, because I was trying to keep my pph [packages per hour] at 300. Also when I would use my load stand every once in a while I would forget that the first step was there and just get off by stepping down the front. I didn't think that was a big deal, because I'm tall and the load stand is already not that big anyway.

Well, my supervisors all complained that I wasn't bending at the knees enough and not using my load stand properly. I would work with other employees that wouldn't even use the load stand and they were never told anything about it, but as soon as I didn't use it they would say something or write it down.

So today I had to sit down and talk to a manager and he said that because I was written up for not using my load stand properly and not bending at the knees enough that he "couldn't recommend my employment at United Parcel Services".

Nobody else was yelled at for not using the load stand the entire time I was working there. Could this be because I reported the supervisor he said something to me the first day?

Thanks.

Contacting the lady in HR before you were in the Union was probably not a good idea. As you may know now, UPS is viewed differently from an employees perspective compared to that of the general public. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

Well, I'm not even sure if it was a lady from HR or not. We would meet in a room upstairs, before work and there were other people there and they asked me how things were going and that's when I told them. I actually thought things were going to get better, but apparently it was quite the opposite.

The craziest part was they never said they would let me go for any of this. That's what made it all so unexpected.

from the ups' code of business conduct --- "
No Retaliation
Our commitment to integrity includes a responsibility to foster an
environment that allows our people to report violations without fear of
retaliation or retribution.

Last edited by a moderator:

InsideUPS

Well, I'm not even sure if it was a lady from HR or not. We would meet in a room upstairs, before work and there were other people there and they asked me how things were going and that's when I told them. I actually thought things were going to get better, but apparently it was quite the opposite.

The craziest part was they never said they would let me go for any of this. That's what made it all so unexpected.

The fact that you cared enough to get on Brown Cafe and ask our opinion shows that you would have made a good employee IF they would have given you a chance. There are some good part-time supervisors and there are some very bad ones. You just happened to get one of the bad ones. Get on Indeed.com and start looking for other work in your area. Best of Luck in your endeavors....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The other person you trained with was probably on to something. Might want to find out where the chick went, just saying.

UPSGUY72

Hey guys

Thanks.

Yes they let you go before you made your 30 days because you put a target on your back as a trouble maker. They wrote you up for the load stand crap so they would have something documented why they didn't keep you. Using and tell you the BS about the load stand and bending was to appease you they didn't have to tell you anything except your not need anymore.

The next job you have don't run to the HR person and start complain about your Supervisor the first week your not in school anymore this is the real world.

Don't join the military you wouldn't last the first 15 minutes after you go off the bus for boot camp...

UPSGUY72

The fact that you cared enough to get on Brown Cafe and ask our opinion shows that you would have made a good employee IF they would have given you a chance. There are some good part-time supervisors and there are some very bad ones. You just happened to get one of the bad ones. Get on Indeed.com and start looking for other work in your area. Best of Luck in your endeavors....

I know some of those people you talk about that where "given a chance". They are always in the office in the morning and I'm always bailing them out in the evening.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Every post 72 types has a negative slant to it....gets old. I miss the old days around here 2000-2005 where there was a more balanced community of members....now you have to filter through the muck of a couple certain members posts on EVERY thread...

A

anonymous6

if u are a masochist you can wait a couple months and reapply.

use a disguise

UPSGUY72

Every post 72 types has a negative slant to it....gets old. I miss the old days around here 2000-2005 where there was a more balanced community of members....now you have to filter through the muck of a couple certain members posts on EVERY thread...

Apparently you only see the world through rose colored glasses....

I'm not here to sugar coat everything just to appease those who think the world revolves around them. I speak the truth the truth hurts sometimes... The sooner the young figure that out the sooner they put on the big boys or big girls pants and become a productive member of society..

The OP went and told the HR person after the first day of work..... If that not painting a big target on your back as a trouble maker I don't know what is.

J

jibbs

The OP went and told the HR person after the first day of work..... If that not painting a big target on your back as a trouble maker I don't know what is.

I think this assessment is right, but I also think it's bull**** that UseYourLoadStandProperly was told to go home because nobody wanted him there. Regardless of the various tricks a supervisor may learn over the years to more easily weed out undesirable employees, that kind of **** sounds unacceptable to me. I'm not sure what I would've done in the OPs shoes if I found myself on the receiving end of that kind of talk my first day.

Damn, man, I'm sorry you had to deal with a supervisor like that, OP. While their cause for termination was legitimate, I don't think it would fly if you were in the union.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Technically the OP was not fired--the company chose not to retain him at the 30 day point. I agree the reason given was BS--the real reason was the chat he had with HR.

ibleedbrown

here is my honest opinion. don't beat yourself up over this, find yourself another job that is not going to beat you down on a day to day basis for the chump change ups offers part time new hires. 15 years ago i would have felt bad for you. the dollar went a lot further back then. nowadays, unless you are getting 25 hours a week, part time pay would barely be enough to cover your gas and a few meals. most guys in my building get 3 1/2 hours if they demand it but not much more than that. 1 thing i would suggest is, don't worry about how others are doing their jobs, just make sure you are working hard and by the book. good luck, and maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you, few hours + low pay + back breaking work is just not worth it at $8.50 an hour. unless you have another job and were just doing this one for the benefits. i wouldn't lose any sleep over losing this job if i were you. good luck and hopefully you will find something more lucrative.

Justaname

Just be glad you're out, because if that small comment was enough to get you to talk to hr then you don't want to see what's ahead.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Sadly because you had not yet made seniority they didn't need a reason. If they got a bad vibe from you or thought you were too slow that could be why they didn't keep you.

By the way if you were killing it...putting out crazy production they wouldn't say a word about the safety stuff unless you were an accident waiting to happen or it was a flavor of the week kind of thing.