Fired For Not Wearing Seatbelt

terrymac

I think seat belt useage on public roads and hiways, is the law. If you drive for a living, follow the law, even if you dont agree with it.. If you get a job at McDonalds, the sign in the bathroom says " all employees must wash hands before leaving" A law? dont know,, but what are you going to do?

rod

Retired 22 years
If its a company vehicle they can make the rules as they see fit. Even if there were no self-protection law UPS could still make and enforce this rule. I do agree with you about Hardees though. Keep your laws out of my stomach!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but back in the stoneage when UPS package cars DIDN"T have seatbelts I don't recall UPS jumping on the "saftey bandwagon" and preaching that they wanted seatbelts. Back then delivery vehicals were exempt from the seatbelt laws. At least that is what we were told. As a matter of fact the first time I experianced driving a P600 with a seatbelt it was fastened to the seat frame but the seat post was on a hinge so you could fold the whole seat forward to exit out the drivers door. In other words all the belt did was keep your lifeless body inside the truck after you had already slammed into the steering wheel and windshield. I know we drove them like that for months before the seat posts were welded solid. As much as UPS preaches "Saftey" they have always been a company that waited until they were forced to to make saftey improvements. :peaceful: I just tells it like it is.

browniehound

I can't imagine not wearing a seatbelt in a package car. From time to time in my personal vehicle I will not wear it if I'm driving for a couple of minutes on a dirt road, but in a package car? No way. There are too many things that can go wrong, the worst being slipping out of the seat when its wet and falling out the door.

Was this driver observed not wearing it for many stops or was he fastening it while the wheels were moving? Not wearing it for many stops should be a suspension and clicking it while driving should be a warning letter in my opinion.

browndevil

Not sure if this has been passed on yet, so forgive me if this is old news, but just want everyone who drive the new cars to know that they are equipped with seatbelt and bulkhead door sensors. The center now can tell if you drive from stop to stop without wearing seatbelt or closing bulkhead door

H

hseofpayne

Not sure if this has been passed on yet, so forgive me if this is old news, but just want everyone who drive the new cars to know that they are equipped with seatbelt and bulkhead door sensors. The center now can tell if you drive from stop to stop without wearing seatbelt or closing bulkhead door

I have a suggestion for technology guys if any of them read this or if anyone on here can pass this on. With the new sensors they have installed to tell if we are wearing seatbelts, why can't they just make it where the pkg car won't start if you aren't wearing your seatbelt? I am no tech geek, but I imagine this is possible.

S

sactownbrown

In 05 or 06 there were six drivers who died in the line of duty in the US. Of those 6, 3 were NOT wearing their seat belt. One driver made a quick stop at an intersection and fell out of his package car. He died only as he fell on his head. MGMNT can and will terminate you on the spot for not wearing the belt.

I am actually surprised that someone wonders if you can be fired for this. What warning does any driver need. The company can pull out stacks of paperwork that you have completed, safety questions etc, that you KNOW that you must wear your belt ALWAYS.

There are ALOT of young hungry part timers ready to step into your package car if you desire to NOT wear your belt and get caught ( or just die).

In CA we had a guy FALL out his his package car and it rolled into a tree.....Obviously NO seat belt. BUT the kicker was that he was DRUNK on his route.

He shot himself shortly after he lost his 25 + year job.

8up

years ago we had a feeder driver who didn't fasten his seat belt, he was terminated.
he was thrown from the vehicle after impact, then run over by the rear trailer.
he never go his life back.

New Englander

It's the same as the bulkhead. UPS wants it closed while we are driving. They want the seatbelt on while the vehicle is in motion.

We do work for THEM. Safety aside, stop being stupid and follow the rules. My god.

JustTired

free at last.......

Well, I'll be darned........you can lead a horse to water....and make him drink it!

Wear your seat belt....close your bulkhead door.....play the game by the rules, and you might win!

mittam

I can't imagine not wearing a seatbelt in a package car. From time to time in my personal vehicle I will not wear it if I'm driving for a couple of minutes on a dirt road, but in a package car? No way. There are too many things that can go wrong, the worst being slipping out of the seat when its wet and falling out the door.

Was this driver observed not wearing it for many stops or was he fastening it while the wheels were moving? Not wearing it for many stops should be a suspension and clicking it while driving should be a warning letter in my opinion.

it was actually in an apartment complex pulling up from one building to another. so package car was pulled up less than 100 feet. no there is no excuse for not having the seatbelt on and having it on at all times in motion. but to fire a driver on the spot was totally out of hand. I was the driver I wear it at all times and got a little distracted and didnot put it on pulling up to next stop. Load was a total mess nothing close to being in order, so after 1st stop in apartment lot I got back in truck put belt on and siad heck with it i need to straighten load up and find next stop. i went thru 16 boxes on that shelf before finding next stop. found 2 of the 3 boxes said heck with it got back in seat and pulled up. thats where center manager saw me with out the belt. one time in apartment complex less than 100 feet. I always were the belt years ago i was in a very serious accident and am alive because of the seatbelt. no so fortunate for other car that blew a stop sign on a country road.

Big Babooba

I would chane that to ANY driver of ANY vehicle. Those 2 seconds could save your life.
I once had a center manager tell our group that he would rather suspend or even fire somebody than have to tell somebody that their loved one was killed in an accident. He never carried out his threat, but he made a good point.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have a suggestion for technology guys if any of them read this or if anyone on here can pass this on. With the new sensors they have installed to tell if we are wearing seatbelts, why can't they just make it where the pkg car won't start if you aren't wearing your seatbelt? I am no tech geek, but I imagine this is possible.
I don't see why it can't be done. They put safety swiches on clutches so you can't start the truck unless the clutch is pushed down.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I don't see why it can't be done. They put safety swiches on clutches so you can't start the truck unless the clutch is pushed down.

When the whole seat belt craze started, They used to have buzzers in cars that would go off, really loud, if you didn't fasten your seat belt. Most people we so annoyed, they buckled the seat belts & sat on top of them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Benefit, I was around when they had those but I believe it. Anyway to take a short cut. Drivers can do the same thing now. It's not worth getting caught though.

Cementups

Box Monkey

What's to stpo you from just putting hte seat belt together and leaving it buckled all teh time and sitting on it all day. I also like to start the truck during he winter and leave the heat running while I am setting up my next 20 stops.. How could I do that with your system?

thom1842

When I was out on the Air Ramp before I was a driver, we had a guy get fired for getting caught twice without his seatbelt on in a Tug. A little different because he had gotten one warning. The tugs only go about 15 mph (governed), but not wearing a belt is not okay in any ups vehicle.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What's to stpo you from just putting hte seat belt together and leaving it buckled all teh time and sitting on it all day. I also like to start the truck during he winter and leave the heat running while I am setting up my next 20 stops.. How could I do that with your system?
Not my system, I was just agreeing that it could probably be done. I am surprised the company hasn't done it. With all the rhetoric about safety this seems like the perfect thing for the company to do. Common sense be damned!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
For the same reason the trucks dont beep when they back up. Then it would be equipment malfunction in case of an accident. This way there is no one to blame except the driver. You made the mistake, not them.