Fired for refusing to listen to sup?

Joelbaker

You don't need to be superman, just do the job. The praise and pats on the back are rare, that's not how ups is. They recognize people in large groups so everyone gets the "good job" at the same time. The only thing I would say is work at a steady pace and do what they ask you to do. Less stress this way, just don't forget they are the boss.
Great advice thank u.

Wilson

If you get your job back next time you feel tired just tell the boss you feel sick and needs to sit down and drink some water. After about 10-15 minutes of rest go back at it. Problem solved.

Joelbaker

If you get your job back next time you feel tired just tell the boss you feel sick and needs to sit down and drink some water. After about 10-15 minutes of rest go back at it. Problem solved.
Good idea man thanks so much. That's really all I would have needed was a 10 minute but they always insist on not taking any breaks and they'll add them on our time cards. I wonder if I can go against their wishes in not taking a break and take one or is that grounds for being fired too?

Joelbaker

No one had answered the big question here!

What the hell is a purge!!!????!
I work at the * hub we're the first hub with the new belt and the purge is something new. Becuase the belt is all one peice if packages begin to get backs up on slides leading into trailers then the packages are purged otherwise the whole belt will shut down. Such a pain I've heard from plenty of guys who've worked there for years say this new 65 million dollar belt is garbage. It's always jamming and shutting off.

Last edited by a moderator:

blkmamba

Yep I'll do that from now on. I won't lift a Finger to help anyone else unless instructed to
You have a boss, when he says jump, you jump. Now at UPS it doesn't matter how high as long as your feet leave the ground. I

I worked a sweeper position before I became a sup. it's not a fun position as others see you as being favored. I had to load bulk all night, mostly by myself unless a package was too heavy. I asked several times to remain as a loader because I was facing resentment from other loaders who thought I had an easy position, it wasn't. My sup said no, keep sweeping and that's what I did.

Moral of the story, shut your mouth and do what your sup tells you unless it compromises your safety. No matter how hard you work, you ARE replaceable.

Wilson

Good idea man thanks so much. That's really all I would have needed was a 10 minute but they always insist on not taking any breaks and they'll add them on our time cards. I wonder if I can go against their wishes in not taking a break and take one or is that grounds for being fired too?

If your a person they need to babysit, keep and eye on, or other wise give them the impression your jerking them around, then they are just going to be a dick towards you.

But, if this bout of tiredness is unusual then I think they could and should allow you to rest. Heatstroke and heat exhaustion are real and serious health issues and any supervisor that ignores them has some explaining to do. Its standard procedure to stop working , hydrate, and cool off for a time to regain yourself before working again.

If you feel that continuing to work while sick can jeopardize your health and safety or the health and safety of others its your duty to report that to you first line manager. That manager can threaten all they want but they have a duty to take you out and away from any safety hazard to yourself or others immediately.

Last edited:

blkmamba

If your a person they need to babysit, keep and eye on, or other wise give them the impression your jerking them around, then they are just going to be a dick towards you.

But, if this bout of tiredness is unusual then I think they could and should allow you to rest. Heatstroke and heat exhaustion are real and serious health issues and any supervisor that ignores them has some explaining to do. Its standard procedure to stop working , hydrate, and cool off for a time to regain yourself before working again.

If you feel that continuing to work while sick can jeopardize your health and safety or the health and safety of others its your duty to report that to you first line manager. That manager can threaten all they want but they have a duty to take you out and away from any safety hazard to yourself or others immediately.
This is essentially a one time thing. Using it more than once is going to cause a lot of problems.

Joelbaker

You have a boss, when he says jump, you jump. Now at UPS it doesn't matter how high as long as your feet leave the ground. I

I worked a sweeper position before I became a sup. it's not a fun position as others see you as being favored. I had to load bulk all night, mostly by myself unless a package was too heavy. I asked several times to remain as a loader because I was facing resentment from other loaders who thought I had an easy position, it wasn't. My sup said no, keep sweeping and that's what I did.

Moral of the story, shut your mouth and do what your sup tells you unless it compromises your safety. No matter how hard you work, you ARE replaceable.
Sad but true. I would think good workers would save them money. Think of all the money they waste trainers new hires who quit after a month. But I'm dumb and they obviously don't care so I'll never break a sweat again. Ugh I hate how the loaders snarl at you as if it's your fault you're bringing them more boxes and they never pull them forward it's so irritiating we have to stack them on the floor most the time then pick them back up then put em up.

Joelbaker

Thank you very much I will keep this in mind. My normal sup should return from vacation this week I hope.

Wilson

This is essentially a one time thing. Using it more than once is going to cause a lot of problems.

Why? Does it only get hot one time a year? Does a worker get overloaded with work only one time a year?

Its quite common no matter were you work as an hourly to get "dumped on" with more work than you can handle because of workers that quit that day, called in, or jackass managers who can't handle their operational duties and abuse their authority.

blkmamba

Why? Does it only get hot one time a year? Does a worker get overloaded with work only one time a year?

Its quite common no matter were you work as an hourly to get "dumped on" with more work than you can handle because of workers that quit that day, called in, or jackass managers who can't handle their operational duties and abuse their authority.
We had an employee complain of dehydration and was given an extra break and even one of the managers brought him out a couple of gatorades. No big deal, he did it again the next night and he was a little more dramatic this time (though showing no actual signs of dehydration-he was sweating just fine) so he got a ride to the UPS doctor. Well after showing no actual signs of dehydration he was terminated for dishonesty and stealing time. I left a week later so I'm not sure if he got his job back.

What I meant was, if it's legit it's legit but if your tired and just want an extra break making :censored2: up will only work once.

I'm still mystified over these "breaks" that some of you speak of. Also @Joelbaker when referring to purging do you mean recycles? (Didn't read the entire thread so this may have been explained already .. my apologies if so)

Wilson

We had an employee complain of dehydration and was given an extra break and even one of the managers brought him out a couple of gatorades. No big deal, he did it again the next night and he was a little more dramatic this time (though showing no actual signs of dehydration-he was sweating just fine) so he got a ride to the UPS doctor. Well after showing no actual signs of dehydration he was terminated for dishonesty and stealing time. I left a week later so I'm not sure if he got his job back.

What I meant was, if it's legit it's legit but if your tired and just want an extra break making :censored2: up will only work once.

I never encourage someone to abuse any right they might have. Everything is situational. From what I read from the guys situation it was a one time thing and the manager decided to ram a square peg through a round hole because someone told them they could do that. If the persons work load was no more or less than usual (normal with full staffing) then the manager has every right to be suspicious. However, if the work load was ram, cram, and don't give a damn, because they don't have bodies to put to work then I'd be looking for a parachute away from that situation too.

blkmamba

I never encourage someone to abuse any right they might have. Everything is situational. From what I read from the guys situation it was a one time thing and the manager decided to ram a square peg through a round hole because someone told them they could do that. If the persons work load was no more or less than usual (normal with full staffing) then the manager has every right to be suspicious. However, if the work load was ram, cram and don't give a damn, because they don't have bodies to put to work then I'd be looking for a parachute away from that situation too.
I might have misread your original post, like i said if it's legit, it's legit.

You know UPS, guilty until proven innocent. Haha

SCV good to go sir.

OP, there's so much wrong with your posts that I really don't know where to begin.

I guess I'll start with your attitude. Get over yourself. Stop looking at yourself as a victim. You're a young adult, it's time to stop acting like a kid when things don't go your way. You may think I'm full of :censored2: but you're coming off as extremely entitled and full of yourself. You think you're the only hard worker with a gung ho attitude at this company? You think you're the only one whose hard work goes unappreciated? You think you're the only competent person trying to increase his value with the company? Welcome to the real world buddy, this is common for a lot people. I'm not saying you need to quit/you're not cut for UPS, but your exhibiting quite a bit of immaturity on your part. I don't know what your plans are with this company, but if you want to drive you need to learn to cope with the bull:censored2: because there's so much more bull:censored2: to deal with as a driver. If you don't, you're just going to become an angry and bitter person, it will affect your health.

Having said that, let's talk about this company and our roles in it. If you stay with UPS long enough, you're going to become witness to managers making terrible decisions that are detrimental to the operation. Overtime you'll realize that this is not a series of isolated incidents but a trend in response to the wills of shareholders. Unless you're rich enough to become the majority shareholder at this company, there's only two things you can do. First, maintain a good attitude no matter what happens around you. Two, continue to put forth your best effort. That's it, that's all that's required from you. It's not that you're personally too stupid to make the decisions or that your expertise or input isn't valuable. It's that the entire operation needs to function like a well oiled machine. You and I are like pistons in that machine. We need to push, push, push, push as the crankshaft (management) dictates. If one piston starts providing friction, it puts stress on the machine, which is now at a less efficient level. Again, this isn't a statement about you personally. However, for the sake of the operation, we're pawns and we need to act accordingly. Work as directed even if you know better. You work as directed and let them take the fall when things go bad because they made the bad decision. Don't be the piston that gets replaced because the crankshaft couldn't move it.