Fired for runaway.

I had 1 too my first summer driving. I was parked with the truck running and truck in neutral with the emergency brake on. I went to get mom moms signature for a box, she signed for it and said something to me. I couldn't hear what she said the first time so I asked her again what did you say? She said your truck is rolling backwards. I guess the street had a little tilt to it and the emergency brake popped. It was rolling backwards toward the road which was like the main street going to the beach on this side road. I turned around and ran like hell to the truck. You would have thought homeboy was USAIN BOLT running to the truck lol. I guess that 4.46 40 yard dash time time I ran in high school came in handy because I caught up to the truck and slammed my foot on the break. Saved my :censored2: on that one. Needless to say that was one of the last times I ever left the truck on for getting a signature on a road that I had any doubt about whether the road was a level street or not. Definitely learned from that stupid brain fart lol.
Tell the truth....the hookers head, hit your E brake!

30yearstolife

We had a roll away. Transmission left in neutral, parking brake not on, engine left running, and driver was outside of vehicle. Many 9.5 grievances were traded to bring him back after 2 weeks of unpaid termination. Long time good employee, but more importantly a Union Business Agent (B.A.) with experience who knows saving jobs is his first priority. I spoke with the driver months after and he had no idea drivers had sacrificed their grievances for him. I hope you know your B.A. Talk to him.

BTW Thank You to any of the B.A.s on this forum who go to bat for UPSers, and hardly ever get a Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I had 1 too my first summer driving. I was parked with the truck running and truck in neutral with the emergency brake on. I went to get mom moms signature for a box, she signed for it and said something to me. I couldn't hear what she said the first time so I asked her again what did you say? She said your truck is rolling backwards. I guess the street had a little tilt to it and the emergency brake popped. It was rolling backwards toward the road which was like the main street going to the beach on this side road. I turned around and ran like hell to the truck. You would have thought homeboy was USAIN BOLT running to the truck lol. I guess that 4.46 40 yard dash time time I ran in high school came in handy because I caught up to the truck and slammed my foot on the break. Saved my :censored2: on that one. Needless to say that was one of the last times I ever left the truck on for getting a signature on a road that I had any doubt about whether the road was a level street or not. Definitely learned from that stupid brain fart lol.

You ran a 4.46?

:surprised:

I hope you take your lunch.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yup super fast. Played baseball in the spring but had the track coach sweating my nuttz to run track, played summer league lacrosse but didn't play in school, lacrosse coach was sweating my nuttz to play lacrosse too. I told both of them I could only concentrate on baseball because I couldn't play 3 sports at 1 time and had already made 2nd team all state the year before in baseball and I really wanted to concentrate on having a break out season in baseball cause I really wanted to make 1st team all state that season. Did I want to play all 3? Of course I did, because honestly I think I could have made all state in all 3 sports at the same time. But it would have been to much. Baseball was my go to sport.

I pulled it at an intersection when I was bobtail because I thought I would probably have to wait at least a minute for the light to turn green and the supervisor told me not to do that. Would you pull it in that situation?

There might be a very few exceptions but overall my answer would be yes.

Why wouldn't you pull it? Is there a chance that the brake would not release right away?

On a properly operating system there's maybe a 2-3 second delay.

First, if you're watching ahead like you should be one can adjust their speed to time it that by the time you come to a stop,push in the clutch and get into the right gear, the lights changing and you can just proceed when safe to do so. If by the time you've done all that and the light hasn't changed then reach over and pop the valve.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
There might be a very few exceptions but overall my answer would be yes.

They always hammered it in to me to drop the hand valve at red lights. Most drivers I know don't do it, just like double clutching.

I always do it when the ride with me, and sometimes to keep in practice, but honestly, I'm a road driver that doesn't hit that many lights. To and from from run has four stop lights. Three of them are in the middle of the night, and as such, they change as I roll up to them.

They always hammered it in to me to drop the hand valve at red lights. Most drivers I know don't do it, just like double clutching.

I always do it when the ride with me, and sometimes to keep in practice, but honestly, I'm a road driver that doesn't hit that many lights. To and from from run has four stop lights. Three of them are in the middle of the night, and as such, they change as I roll up to them.

That was in response about stoplights with a bobtail tractor. With a trailer, once the juggling of getting the trans in starting gear is done, the hand valve is always pulled down.

BrownTexas

We had a roll away. Transmission left in neutral, parking brake not on, engine left running, and driver was outside of vehicle. Many 9.5 grievances were traded to bring him back after 2 weeks of unpaid termination. Long time good employee, but more importantly a Union Business Agent (B.A.) with experience who knows saving jobs is his first priority. I spoke with the driver months after and he had no idea drivers had sacrificed their grievances for him. I hope you know your B.A. Talk to him.

BTW Thank You to any of the B.A.s on this forum who go to bat for UPSers, and hardly ever get a Thank You!
Do you happen to know who the driver was and at what local. Like to let my ba know for backup purposes. I have many drivers willing to do whatever it takes to get me back on. Including giving up a 9.5 or 2.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I have a driver who insists on having the park brake completely backed off on his automatic and justifies it on the grounds he hasn't had an accident. We'll see how this ends.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I have a driver who insists on having the park brake completely backed off on his automatic and justifies it on the grounds he hasn't had an accident. We'll see how this ends.

He will describe his story here afterwards, under the headline: "Who knew this would happen?"

beentheredonethat

After reading all these ill provide back story. I am basically a pro union driver in a center where people do whatever it takes to stay off the radar. So I had a pretty big bullseye on my back. I was in a 4 speed manual car that was built in 1982 and is the only 4 speed in our center and earlier that day I was in a different car. Claimed force of habit for putting it in 2 gear in this particular car that would normally be low for every other car at our center. I didn't use my parking brake strictly on it being a fairly level area and like an idiot I thought that was good enough. I called immediately about the accident. Was told by the center manager about how "my job was in his hands" and that "even though I have great skills as a driver, he rather have a mediocre driver that didn't cause him grief that a great driver that files grievances and tells other how to help them abide by the bargaining agreement." Not a smart move on my part and my BA has said it is difficult to retain someone from a runaway but I still have my fingers crossed. Hoping my center manager spares me because he knows I am a great driver and can run routes blind very well and just let's me have my job back with no backpay. If not... Guess ill be wearing purple and black.

I don't like to hear when people lose their job and I don't want people to lose what is a pretty good job compared to other companies (FDX, couriers etc). The old story says, you can win battle after battle, but all the ctr mgr has to do is win one. I do hope you get it back, and I am in mgmt.

Here's an honest question(s) for you. I'm interested to know your answers.

1. In hindsight, do you think putting a bulls-eye on your back (your words), was a smart thing to do?
2. Assuming you get your job back, will you continue to put the bulls-eye on your back?

BrownTexas

I don't like to hear when people lose their job and I don't want people to lose what is a pretty good job compared to other companies (FDX, couriers etc). The old story says, you can win battle after battle, but all the ctr mgr has to do is win one. I do hope you get it back, and I am in mgmt.

Here's an honest question(s) for you. I'm interested to know your answers.

1. In hindsight, do you think putting a bulls-eye on your back (your words), was a smart thing to do?
2. Assuming you get your job back, will you continue to put the bulls-eye on your back?

There has been a contract set forth between the union and ups. By me making ups hold their end of the bargaining agreement by filing grievances, who is in the wrong? My management team or me?