Fired for signing for a dump stop.

currahee

Danny by training i mean that letting the customer know that you cant stick around. I dont mean be a jerk . I service my customers very well(will do just about anything for some).They know i have a job to do and i have other customers to service also.

upsmanckp

Danny Boy...Just a small clarification.....The night Sup has a log for high values he processes. That log is long gone.....everything else is just as stated.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
So they are terminating him without the paperwork that proves his inocence? Or guilt? I just dont see how that will stand up. If they destroy the paperwork that proves that I did my job properly, and then try and fire me because they claim I didnt, to bad.

d

HazMatMan

What if you were at the house of a smoking hot babe. You lift up the mat and find a key with a note that says, "Let yourself in Big Boy, I'm upstairs in the tub having a bubble bath. Come on up and join me." Would you be paid over or run scratch for the day?:wink2:
That's a tough call. What if the note was really left for the FedEx guy???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Training" customers goes hand in hand with customers "training" drivers. That is a simple way to define the learning curve a driver has when he bids and/or is learning a new route. The customers will train him on the particular nuances of their delivery and/or pickup stop and, in turn, the driver will train them as to how he does his job as each driver is different. My customers know that I am ready to go as soon as my bumper hits their dock and respond accordingly. I also have several customers who have trained me to call them when they have CODs so that the checks will be ready when I get there. I have several P/Us that have trained me to come back during certain times of the year (College Bookstore during the start of each semester) when they are not ready. I find it particularly frustrating when I am asked to either cover P/Us for another driver who has not taken the time to "train" these accounts or to help deliver in an area where the driver has not taken the time to "train" his customers.

This "training" does not happen overnight but the benefits of trained customers is priceless and makes for a smooth day.

upsmanckp

So they are terminating him without the paperwork that proves his inocence? Or guilt? I just dont see how that will stand up. If they destroy the paperwork that proves that I did my job properly, and then try and fire me because they claim I didnt, to bad.

d

I did not say it was a smart move for the company...it was not...it is not a good case...the point is they are scarring the poor lad. They have nothing to lose.
Will let you know on this site how it turns out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a cover driver who, upon seeing a note on the door of a business which said, "UPS--Will Be Back--Please Leave Pkgs At Door" and, believe it or not, he did, right in plain view of anyone who drove by. I make the pickup at this stop and the pkgs were still there and the business was still closed so I collected the pkgs and put them back in my pkg car, called the driver on his cell and transferred the pkgs back to him when we met for coffee. The ironic part is that he said his gut feeling was that he shouldn't have left the pkgs there. No harm, no foul, stop edited in board to reflect closed, lesson learned.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Thanks, would be interested in seeing how this one plays out. and they wonder why some drivers develop a bad attitude.

UPSTATE

So you do have time to actually do some work when you are not surrounded by the fruits of your labor?:wink2:

All kidding aside, it is nice to know someone has your back!

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

D

Subtle sarcasm is an elixir best dispensed sparingly.

(BTW, NASCAR sounds so much better in surround sound and looks so much clearer in HD).

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
I regularly have guys sign the board when I 1st pull up. I put their stuff on a pallet and they get it when they have time.

I have covered routes with grocery stores that have limited delivery times. 1 store in particular would quit answering their door 15-20 minutes early and with air commits, I hard a hard time getting there 15-20 minutes early. So, for a 3 days, I posted delivery notices on their back door. Turned out, one of the packages had the store's paychecks and the store manager called in a concern. I met with the manager and explained how the shipping guys would not open the door for me and that he had told me before NEVER to bring packages through the front door. He apologized and it never happened again. The regular driver thanked me profusely for 'training' his customer.

The only place that I use a SDN for a business account is a convent.

TB

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Barnyard

I had a mega grocery store that would never answer the door. I went to see the manager, and he told me he did not want their deliveries left at the front checkout.

So I offered this compromise. I would deliver the packages directly to the department where they were addressed. Video, Pharmacy, Deli, etc. Only those for the actual grocerystore would I leave at the front desk. He agreed, and that was the last time I ever went to the back door. I would put all the packages in one or more of the stores buggies, push them into the store, get 1-3 stops, and be back out on the street within 2-3 minutes. Never had a problem with them again. Took care of the customer and me as well.

So yes, you can educate customers to what needs to be done, and sometimes when there is a special need, the driver can offer suggestions that takes care of the problem.

Because of that service, they specifically request UPS deliveries when ever they can.

d

barnyard

KTM rider
We already do that for one grocery store, but have been told specifically not to do that. I tried it the 1st time I covered that route and I thought the manager was gonna hand my ass to me. He was red in the face unhappy about me pulling a 2 wheeler of packages through his front door.

TB

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
hehehe, we had a two story mall with very limited back hallways. they put in new carpet throughout the whole thing. Told the driver he was not to take it over the carpet, only to stay on the three foot tile perimeter. No way to do that, so the deliveries stopped. That lasted about 1 day.

I use the stores buggies because sometimes they get so many boxes (12 cases of jelly beans for instance) and it makes it very easy for me to just take them back to the proper department where they can take it right off the buggy and on the shelf. Worked good for about 8 years till I left, and they are still doing it.

d

8Years2Go

We were actually told that a SDN can only be used for a business stop in which the customer would give you a key, combination or able to slide it under a locked door. It is no good for any other busines or residential stops. So we do as directed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Driver got his job back a couple of weeks ago. I passed him on the interstate the other day and he had the Diad up on the steering wheel going thru EDD at 60 miles an hour. Hpoe he still has the BA on his phone contacts. BM

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Signed delivery notices are only for residential stops. Commercial stops require a signature. Pretty straight forward stuff. Sales lead, you are more than welcome to wait 20 minutes for a receiver to show up, but I wouldn't be waiting there with you. I can get off 2 adjacent bulk stops (WalMart/Sams Club) within that 20 minutes so anything over 5 minutes results in a delivery notice showing delivery attempted with the next attempt the following day.

We had a driver who delivers the mall sign for a delivery to Foot Locker. This resulted in a corporate complaint for which he received a 3 day vacation.

Most veteran drivers will tell you that you have to know your customers as to what shortcuts you can and cannot do. Do I sign for some commercial customers? Absolutely, but this is the result of a relationship built up over the past 5 years and is only done with small businesses/offices and I sign my name. Some of these customers have given me the key to use if they are at lunch. Would I sign for a 90 piece bulk stop? Absolutely not. Would I leave a 285 piece bulk stop based upon a signed delivery notice? No way. Common sense has to prevail.

The gunner will probably get his job back and will hopefully have learned a lesson, although I find it hard to believe that at no time during his delivery of 90 boxes there was no one around or that no one heard him making the delivery or that he didn't attempt to make contact with anyone before making the delivery. Most bulk stops that I have delivered are either controlled entry (buzzer, door bell, phone) or you have to knock on the overhead door and someone opens it for you.

How about stops in the country that are a business but are never around, you know, farms without a house on the property, etc, they dont have a office, or posted office hours, so they really are a resi in ups' eyes, but many drivers use sdn in these situations, is this not the proper way to do things? I would consider them a business and usually try to find someone to sign first, but have been told they are resi if theres no office, secretary, posted office hours, etc. But usually the shipper is calling ups to dispute the sircharge when I put it in as a resi....its a tough one. I shouldnt have to walk around for 20 minutes trying to find someone to sign , and usually the farm workers never want to sign for the packages and act as if they dont understand what the hell I m talking about.