Fired for "stealing time"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's one of the more idiotic ways I've ever heard of to get fired. No offense.
I honestly am waiting for "the rest of the story". I just don't understand at all.

I'm assuming he had to bust his ass while delivering the stops in the first place to be able to prerecord some stops while delivering others. All so he could take an hour and a half break? Most of us twiddle our fingers after 20 minutes of break. All knowing damn well you're risking an 80k+ a year job. Doesn't add up.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Since this is my first time getting into a mess like this. Was my meeting with the BA, center manager, sup and Labor (something) the panel hearing? They all said no to getting my job back. So BA said we cab take it to arbitration. Anyone know how that goes?

If the labor manager was there, you had a "local level" meeting between the union and the labor manager for your area. Typically, there's a "center" or "sort" level meeting before that including you, the BA/steward, and the sort/center manager but it's not required.

Basically, the company discharged you. The union filed a grievance on your behalf and the local level discussion was an attempt to settle the grievance. The company wouldn't budge so now it's "deadlocked" pending panel. The next step is the grievance panel, consisting of three union representatives and three company representatives. If they can't reach an agreement, then the "tie breaker" is the arbitrator. An arbitrator is typically a retired federal judge with a strong background in labor law.

You need to be talking to your BA and prepping for panel. Quite frankly, the best advice I can give you is not to lie, to fully admit what you did, and state it won't happen again.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thank you peanut gallery. I know I messed up and I admit it. ive been written up once for being late and never filed a grievance. I just would like to know if anyone has gotten their job back after something like this.

I guess for the reason I can say I got lazy after lunch and needed some extra time.
That's sad dude, im sorry man but that's just lamo

jdn

You need more than an hour for lunch?!?!?!?!?
If the labor manager was there, you had a "local level" meeting between the union and the labor manager for your area. Typically, there's a "center" or "sort" level meeting before that including you, the BA/steward, and the sort/center manager but it's not required.

Basically, the company discharged you. The union filed a grievance on your behalf and the local level discussion was an attempt to settle the grievance. The company wouldn't budge so now it's "deadlocked" pending panel. The next step is the grievance panel, consisting of three union representatives and three company representatives. If they can't reach an agreement, then the "tie breaker" is the arbitrator. An arbitrator is typically a retired federal judge with a strong background in labor law.

You need to be talking to your BA and prepping for panel. Quite frankly, the best advice I can give you is not to lie, to fully admit what you did, and state it won't happen again.
Thank you for clearing things up. I have come clean, to my center manager and BA. My center manager is very tough so I doubt i see him backing down and giving anyone a chance.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If you've been driving for a while, you should know not to do stupid schiznitt like that. Their always watching somebody for something. You don't think they cant see that kind of stuff on telematics?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Thank you for clearing things up. I have come clean, to my center manager and BA. My center manager is very tough so I doubt i see him backing down and giving anyone a chance.

Quite frankly, it's out of your center manager's hands now. Once "labor" gets involved (the labor manager) and especially gets involved in a dishonesty case (stealing time), then it's more than likely going to panel. The labor manager will be arguing to terminate you in front of the panel and your BA will be rebutting his case and defending you. Then it's up to the panel/arbitrator.

You need to get a timeline from your BA. You could be going next month or have to wait even longer. While you don't have to go, it's vital that you do so.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Quite frankly, it's out of your center manager's hands now. Once "labor" gets involved (the labor manager) and especially gets involved in a dishonesty case (stealing time), then it's more than likely going to panel. The labor manager will be arguing to terminate you in front of the panel and your BA will be rebutting his case and defending you. Then it's up to the panel/arbitrator.

You need to get a timeline from your BA. You could be going next month or have to wait even longer. While you don't have to go, it's vital that you do so.
I
Would love to hear the BA argue this. I mean all you can do is say yeah I friend'd up please ill never do it again and hope they believe you.

If I'm being completely honest people like his getting their jobs back is why some people hate unions.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I
Would love to hear the BA argue this. I mean all you can do is say yeah I friend'd up please ill never do it again and hope they believe you.

If I'm being completely honest people like his getting their jobs back is why some people hate unions.

Honestly (and we don't know all of the details) there's not much to argue. But years of service are a mitigating factor and are taken into account by a panel/arbitrator; someone who's given most of their adult life to a company should get a chance to redeem themselves if they screw up. Not blaming UPS for this guy trying to cheat them, but this company can make people do some awful crazy :censored2:.

By The Book

Sounds like this route had some bonus on it and it tempted you to get paid to go home early. How in the world could it take you 30 minutes to stop complete your prerecorded stops? There must of been a bunch of them. Did you pull the pal stickers and put them in order on a sheet of paper? Maybe you hand wrote all the barcodes in order and then had to re enter them all later after you clocked back in from lunch. Maybe that's what took so long. I sure hope you didn't do this because other drivers do it there and they showed you how. Sounds like you will be the example for your center. If you want to come clean, this is the first time they caught you in person.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'm amazed at all the technology today. Back in the 70's, we could leave our package cars running all day, only close our bulkheads coming and going to the building. Pad stops if we needed them. Way Before cell phones, we used paper pads for signatures. The company had no idea where we were during the day. All they could do was call shippers and ask them to tell us to call in. There was a co driver of mine who was building a home out in a rural area. One day he went out of his area, Went to a home improvement store, loaded up enough shingles in his package car to shingle his new house. Drove out there, unloaded his shingles and drove back onto his area and started delivering again. Imagine doing that now. There is too many ways big brother can watch you now. It's just not worth it.

Rain Shield

How can you be with the company this long and have no idea what the difference is between a local hearing and a panel hearing?

Let me guess. You either did not vote on this last contract or you voted yes. My bet is you did not vote.

We wonder why we are where we are at.

I may be harsh, but dang, how can someone make over $80,000 per year and not understand the system on both counts?

Lol. Pull one of the biggest DF moves and have the nerve to get pissy because the "peanut gallery" gives you grief.

Best of luck.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It was actually my first time. center manager was out doing safety check on a new driver and in his words "stumbled upon me"

When he stumbled across you. Was he alone and did he video tape you? It is his word against yours. You were sorting the rest of your day. Although 30 minutes is excessive. During peak I do prerecord stops while helper is delivering a stop. I do hit stop complete at the actual stop. Only time I do this practice is during peak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When he stumbled across you. Was he alone and did he video tape you? It is his word against yours. You were sorting the rest of your day. Although 30 minutes is excessive. During peak I do prerecord stops while helper is delivering a stop. I do hit stop complete at the actual stop. Only time I do this practice is during peak.

How does this save you any time?

Perpetuate dishonesty. Great plan.