fired for what?

imokurokwereok

Im on a working termination for not communicating with my supervisor before returning to the center with 17 stops i had left. I did this after the mechanic instructed me to nurse the ill running truck back to the center. Initially i called my supervisor cell phone but got no answer. So i called the center talked to the local sort supervisor and told them my truck wasnt runing right and i still had stops left. Also said i was in a Ryder truck and needed mechanics #. Called the mechanic he said to nurse the truck in if possible because there wasnt any trucks to bring me. It was peek. So i sent a ods stating what the mechanic told me to do And i headed in. I was 60 miles from the center. Got back where my truck completely quite running as soon as i hit the parking lot. my supervisor started yelling at me about the 17 stops. I told him i called his phone, center, mechanic and then sent a ods before i returned with the broken truck. I offered to take another truck to finish because i still had 4 hrs of availability left for the day. He said it was to late go home. I was given a working term shorty after for not following proper delivery methods. The company is taking me to panel on this. My supervisor states there was no ods message. Im 100% sure i sent a message that night before returning. Im told they have a copy of all ods messages at the corporate office. I just dont know how to get it. I dont trust anyone from the company at the local level. I've been with ups for almost 24 years. My grievance panel is mar17. The ups labor manager says im not being fired for missing the 17 stops but for not communicating to my supervisor. Which is why i need the ods message they say i never sent. any suggestions?

O/C

Im on a working termination for not communicating with my supervisor before returning to the center with 17 stops i had left. I did this after the mechanic instructed me to nurse the ill running truck back to the center. Initially i called my supervisor cell phone but got no answer. So i called the center talked to the local sort supervisor and told them my truck wasnt runing right and i still had stops left. Also said i was in a Ryder truck and needed mechanics #. Called the mechanic he said to nurse the truck in if possible because there wasnt any trucks to bring me. It was peek. So i sent a ods stating what the mechanic told me to do And i headed in. I was 60 miles from the center. Got back where my truck completely quite running as soon as i hit the parking lot. my supervisor started yelling at me about the 17 stops. I told him i called his phone, center, mechanic and then sent a ods before i returned with the broken truck. I offered to take another truck to finish because i still had 4 hrs of availability left for the day. He said it was to late go home. I was given a working term shorty after for not following proper delivery methods. The company is taking me to panel on this. My supervisor states there was no ods message. Im 100% sure i sent a message that night before returning. Im told they have a copy of all ods messages at the corporate office. I just dont know how to get it. I dont trust anyone from the company at the local level. I've been with ups for almost 24 years. My grievance panel is mar17. The ups labor manager says im not being fired for missing the 17 stops but for not communicating to my supervisor. Which is why i need the ods message they say i never sent. any suggestions?
Get a hard copy on your cell phone call to your supervisor, that should solve the issue.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Your BA should be able to request a copy of all messages sent to and from you that day.

I will say here's something I worry about without some type of acknowledgment from them to us through the board that they receive a message we send how do we know it went through?

watdaflock?

Im on a working termination for not communicating with my supervisor before returning to the center with 17 stops i had left. I did this after the mechanic instructed me to nurse the ill running truck back to the center. Initially i called my supervisor cell phone but got no answer.

Your phone will have some history of messages but all you should need is "the mechanic instructed me to nurse the ill running truck back to the center...."

^ Wouldn't that cover your arse?

Are you at a union building? Possibly this is a ploy to prevent unemployment benefits.
It is no longer peak season. You are not longer needed as a driver.

I dont trust anyone from the company at the local level.

lol

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Whenever I read about a case where the employee did nothing wrong and yet the company is still taking him to panel, I always wonder if I'm getting the whole story.

oldngray

nowhere special
Whenever I read about a case where the employee did nothing wrong and yet the company is still taking him to panel, I always wonder if I'm getting the whole story.

UPS may and often will try to scare people with lesser forms of harassment like warning letters but they will almost never let it go to panel if it is a case they will clearly lose. Either more to the story or management needed a scapegoat.

nystripe96

That termination won't stick. As long as you have the proof on your cell then you're in good shape. Regardless of whether they received a message on your diad, your call log on your phone will save your arse

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
its all harassment and intimidation. There is no longer any leadership at center level and you are getting payback for the arse chewing the center manager got from the DM over the missed pieces. FILE!!! it will go away. Your center manager KNOWS it wont stick, he just has to look as if he is somehow solving the problem. I would communicate soley thru the diad in the future as UPS dosent pay hourly employees cell phone bill,and there will be a copy of the messages sent

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It's not that hard to fathom for me.

I've seen enough of my fellow drivers get fired for bogus reasons, just to get their jobs back at panel.

Lots of dumb#×$ supervisors out there.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
BS...BS....BS. There is more to this story.

Indecisi0n

90% of the time it's just an intimidation move. Right before panel they will offer to just warning letter and you not do it again.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

There was no other supervisor you could call to alert? Or even call the center? If one of our guys has a question and can't get an on road they always call the center.

Something isn't adding up here.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There was no other supervisor you could call to alert? Or even call the center? If one of our guys has a question and can't get an on road they always call the center.

Something isn't adding up here.
It says he called the center and talked to local sort manager who told him to call the mechanic.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I know the company doesnt pay my cell phone bill but I send a group text to sups and managers to comunicate my issues.....this way I have documentation I can access in seconds to cover my ass.......I have unlimited text for $5 or less a month well worth it

clean hairy

Aonther case of the Employee can't win.
Had they stayed out and the truck breaks down it would be a case of
"Why didn't you bring it back in, now we have to pay for a wrecker, and have service failures"
Woulda been dealt with for keeping malfunctioning equipment on the road.
Or, operating unsafe euipment, and woulda been in this postion for not using good judgement to bring it back in.
No matter what you do, it is the wrong decision!

box_beeyotch

Should've finished the last 17, let the truck break down and ride that OT train until they can bring you another one to get back to the building. Not only do you make money but you get to see the look on their face as they call a tow truck!

imokurokwereok

You would think there was something more But thats it. I couldn't believe it either. When the labor guy came yesterday for a meeting with me, ba, and the center manager i was stuned when they decided to move forward with this. I guess in the bigger picture of my whole situation here is that i haven't been the best employee over the last couple years and I've brought some heat on myself by attendance and being a bit preoccupied with things in my personal life that affected my overall performances as a driver. I own that.its been a long 23 years and most of them I put out a lot of effort for the company and my customers. I just hope I get a chance to finish my last 6 years and enjoy my retirement what you have worked so hard to achieve.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You've been here 24 years. It would sure be a feather in their cap to make your termination stick. Having said that, I don't see it going to panel. You have a lot of documentation on your side. Good luck to you, and keep us informed.