Fired Yesterday!!

browniehound

Yes I work the local sort when I'm not driving. But here's the deal. I've worked my way to the top of the PT seniority list and was told the next full-time spot would be mine. I busted my butt for 9 years unloading trucks to get to this point and now it's all being taken away from me because some customer has nothing better to do then to complain and a small piece of dirt next to their driveway.The alleged tire track was right next to the driveway and only a foot or two long. Not like I just drove on the guys lawn. They sent a "on car" supervisor to investigate. I too seriously question his investigative credentials. From what I've been hearing from others, I will get my PT job back but will have to wait another year before I can drive again. The only reason I stay is because of the money and benefits,just like most others. I just don't understand how management can just come to the conclusion that a driver is being dishonest. I know the procedures, I would have made the call to the center had I known property damage was done. And just as a side note: I called my BA yesterday when I was let go and he told me to sit back and wait for the discharge paper in the mail and he would get back to me when he hears something....I've heard absolutely nothing all day today. We'll see what tomorrow brings

John,
I hear ya and feel for you. I really do. Its totally ridiculous in my opinion to call a 1 foot tire mark on a lawn an accident. It really is. It would take me about 33 cents of grass seed, 50 cents of soil, a little water, and 2 weeks of sunlight to fix your "damage". As for the dishonesty you are accused of committing, how are you to know without question that you put a mark on his lawn? Even if you did know (I would say its a good possibility that you did but also a good one that you didn't) its such a minor offense that it shouldn't matter.

Being such a questionable damage it should be dismissed as an "incident". What if this guys lawn was 80% weeds? Is UPS to pay for a new lawn because you put a tire mark on his weeds? I don't think so. What if there are tire marks all over the driveway already? I don't think so.

I have a 1/4 mile driveway on my route that accesses 4 homes. Its really tight for a p12 but almost impossible for moving trucks and snow plows. The house at the end has(had) a 3-logged wooden fence in which one segment was knocked loose by a snow plow( as its barely wide enough for a pick-up with plow to get down) About halfway down is a house recently sold with at least 6 deep tire marks from the moving truck or furniture delivery trucks. If I put a tire mark next to these am I supposed to report it? I don't think so.

I was right. I had to drive in and back in his section of driveway to deliver 3 pieces from pottery barn and put a mark on the soft shoulder of the shared driveway directly across from his entrance. The consignee came out and met me as he was very happy to receive his kid's bed. I told him what I did and he responded by saying "Are you serious? You want to report that as an accident? Look at it down there its a swamp!" I also happened to graze the wooden fence at the end house when the snow made it very tight to get down there and he replied in a similar fashion "The plow already took out a nice piece of it and I really should get rid of it. I'm just happy you came down here and didn't leave it at my mailbox(Its on the street). I told him that I could lose my job if I don't report an accident and he says "an accident? are you kidding? You didn't do anything to my piece of crap fence. The is no accident here".

This all happened to me within 4 houses. Its why I don't think you should report a tire mark. However, If the consignee calls then maybe you can be charged, but never fired or even disciplined. Again, its a fix that can be made in 10 minutes for less than $4.

I wish the best of luck to you in getting the full-time job because you certainly got the very short end of the proverbial stick...

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Thanks Browniehound, I appreciate the help. I had my meeting with the center manager this mourning and he seems to be going to bat for me on this so far. I got my seasonal driving position back (start Monday mourning) but am not sure about the bid sheet deal. I was told that may take a few days. Apparently 3 people have to be on the same page to get that done. My center manager,RM who are trying to work this out for me and the Labor Manager who hasn't responded to the situation yet. I really hope they don't decide to cut my balzz off over some grass. Keeping my fingers crossed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Thanks Browniehound, I appreciate the help. I had my meeting with the center manager this mourning and he seems to be going to bat for me on this so far. I got my seasonal driving position back (start Monday mourning) but am not sure about the bid sheet deal. I was told that may take a few days. Apparently 3 people have to be on the same page to get that done. My center manager,RM who are trying to work this out for me and the Labor Manager who hasn't responded to the situation yet. I really hope they don't decide to cut my balzz off over some grass. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Very fitting!

packageguy

Hey I HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOU. GOODLUCK.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't need them to care about me, I just can't believe this is a good business decision. It would be like firing someone in an office environment for jamming the printer. I was interviewed and hired from a group of 50. Why do they go through the trouble of hiring you and training you just so they can fire you for something this stupid? I know some will say so they can replace a top pay driver with someone making less. This guy isn't in the pay progression yet.
This company is ****** up...end of story...I probably wouldnt be far off by saying they have one of the worst labor relations problems in the country.jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did it take for the customer to notice it sound like somebody is looking for a free lunch ..Can U P S prove it came from your truck a tire tread isl like a finger print no two a like or call 651 641 1901 and ask for Brad get back to me Richard Seibert on face book

menotyou

bella amicizia
How long did it take for the customer to notice it sound like somebody is looking for a free lunch ..Can U P S prove it came from your truck a tire tread isl like a finger print no two a like or call 651 641 1901 and ask for Brad get back to me Richard Seibert on face book

There are at least 43 Richard Seibert's on facebook.

I know, I know. I am very bored.