Firefighters at UPS

wayfair

swollen member
They're calling out a lot? If you've been given 2 years worth of workdays off in the last 6 years, that's a lot. That's astounding. Maybe they've got just as important work or issues to attend to. If one person receives that kind of special treatment, everyone should.

I don't think he's having time off if he's working for the FD. I think UPS should be putting in a special article in the "Inside Ups" for his civic duty.

Box Ox

I don't think he's having time off if he's working for the FD. I think UPS should be putting in a special article in the "Inside Ups" for his civic duty.

There's no question that firefighters are doing very honorable work.

But.....

Let's say the OP's story is featured in Inside UPS. All of the sudden, the company is officially endorsing second jobs that force part timers to take off at least 1/3 of their total work days. As long as the second jobs are of a public service nature. They're applauding what the OP is doing There's no going back.

So all of the sudden, thousands of part timers realize they can make extra dough AND not have to be in preload every 1 or 2 out of 3 days. They too become firefighters, policemen, government officials, etc. If you can attach "civic duty" to it, they're in. Hell, they would have done it years ago if they didn't have to show up at UPS every day. And UPS has to hire thousands more to fill in for them on those days. All because those part timers who are off are doing great work.

There can't be exceptions.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
There's no question that firefighters are doing very honorable work.

But.....

Let's say the OP's story is featured in Inside UPS. All of the sudden, the company is officially endorsing second jobs that force part timers to take off at least 1/3 of their total work days. As long as the seconds jobs are of a public service nature. They're applauding what the OP is doing There's no going back.

So all of the sudden, thousands of part timers realize they can make extra dough AND not have to be in preload every 1 or 2 out of 3 days. They too become firefighters, policemen, government officials, etc. If you can attach "civic duty" to it, they're in. Hell, they would have done it years ago if they didn't have to show up at UPS every day. And UPS has to hire thousands more to fill in for them on those days. All because those part timers who are off are doing great work.

There can't be exceptions.

Agreed. Many people do other things besides working at UPS but there can't be special exceptions for other volunteer or even paid work.