Firing's for being seen on cell phones/distracted driving.

HomeDelivery

One of the things I like about this site is that it causes me to re-think things sometimes. I keep my phone in my shirt pocket and when it rings I answer it. I am a 20 year safe driver and I take safety seriously. After reading this thread I am determined to not talk on the phone while I drive from this day on. It is not too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

glad to help... if you guys/gals with families at home ~ click on my link on post #51, it should change your thoughts about this as well

it's ok if you pull over & turn on your flashers to use the cellphone/ read the texts, right?

ps: you guys are lucky that you can send/receive messages via DIADS, even express & ground has this technology... but not at Home Delivery :whiteflag:

I have to keep checking my phone between stops (set special ring tones) for my hub if they need me to go do a re-attempt or to help out another courier...

BrownTie

All it takes is a second to keep your eyes off the road. "Don't text and drive, it can wait". If it's that important, pull over.

Bad Gas!

I would never talk on the phone while in motion. I'm in a deafening 27 year old package car, I can't even hear myself think. Never mind carry on a phone conversation. We get 80 legitimate minutes of personal time a day. Plenty of time to communicate.

My sups call me all the time and ask why I didn't answer. I tell them I haven't heard the phone ring yet over loud vehicle noise. my soups call me all the time while driving and looking for me to exchange misleads.I will answer in between stops..

HomeDelivery

tell your sups to put down the crayfish for a second and learn to use the DIAD texting system that UPS has in place... either that or tell them to give you a raise so you can use your personal cellphone for business use #sarcasm

gingerkat

Texting is even more dangerous than talking. My little driver boy texts me all day long and I always want to ask him how he gets his work done while texting me, but why bother? And now I know how he has a $70K vehicle and is in escrow for his new home. I guess he IS stealing time…

FilingBluesFL

I agree, and whenever my family calls on the job, I try to wrap it up as quickly as possible. But, management uses my cell like I keep it on for THEM, which is hardly the case. I was riding with an on car the other day, and he was attempting to navigate a parking lot on the phone, with me in the jump seat. A few weeks ago a SUP was meeting me for a misroute, and I was at a resi stop and he's on the phone while asking me for directions and says "oh, I see you" and then hangs up. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

If I were in the Jump Seat, I'd get out my cell phone and roll film.

"Yeah, well, this is the method YOUR on-road supervisor demonstrated to me while he was on car with me. As far as I know, this is part of the job. *play video* See? I'm just working as demonstrated."

FilingBluesFL

Also, only time I've ever really seen anyone gone after for using a cell phone, is when an audit was going on that day, they of course do the dog and pony show and drag the person into the office.

I've been with on-roads and seen drivers go right in front of us through an intersection, elbows on the wheel, chatting it up.

Every time I'm "instructed" to use my phone via DIAD... "I'm still on the waiting list to receive my UPS phone... has it arrived yet? Because I don't have it." Or something similarly smart-assed.

Usually I get a message "Call center ASAP..." "I don't have my UPS phone." "Can you please deliver misload?"

WHY DIDNT YOU JUST SAY THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE APLHSOGIHAOGSIHA[OGHLAgt;alwhtohasghagnagsoiha

C

chuchu

No need to talk, or especially text while driving. I've seen my center manager ask to view a drivers phone after an accident, to view the call & text log. If that driver had been distracted by his phone, I'm sure he'd have had much less chance of getting his job back.
UPS isn't a federal agency. Why would you give them your phone to dissect info? That's your personal property. The diad is theirs but legally, you are not required to give them your phone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS isn't a federal agency. Why would you give them your phone to dissect info? That's your personal property. The diad is theirs but legally, you are not required to give them your phone.

You could either hand them the phone or wait until they subpoena your phone records.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our PCM was about distracted driving . We were "asked" to keep our cell phones in the cargo area, not in the cab, which does make sense. I keep mine clipped to the cup holder for now but will try his "suggestion" today.

You can hand them the phone with a union steward present or let them terminate you and drag their feet till they bring you back. Plus, if you are in a crash the cops will check it.

​Best at option is for someone to stay off the freaking phone and earn their check.

C

chuchu

You can hand them the phone with a union steward present or let them terminate you and drag their feet till they bring you back. Plus, if you are in a crash the cops will check it.

​Best at option is for someone to stay off the freaking phone and earn their check.
They're going to drag their feet if you're at fault anyway. And they don't have the power to subpoena your phone and that has nothing to do with Art 17 USNY. Stay off the phone when driving is the only option I agree but ups can't subpoena your phone or records unless there's charges from the cops or feds

They're going to drag their feet if you're at fault anyway. And they don't have the power to subpoena your phone and that has nothing to do with Art 17 USNY. Stay off the phone when driving is the only option I agree but ups can't subpoena your phone or records unless there's charges from the cops or feds

If it's a big enough crash the cops will beat UPS to your phone records. Or the other persons lawyer will.