Firing's for being seen on cell phones/distracted driving.

Indecisi0n

Care to elaborate?

By calling your carrier they can pull up every text (sent/received) and the times. They can even get a print out of each text. Wasn't texting ? Maybe surfing the net? They can pull up if/when you where using data (sending/receiving information). When will people learn EVERYTHING is tracked. People might believe law enforcement wouldn't go this far but when a commercial vehicle kills a family you'd be surprised the lengths they will go.

C

chuchu

If it's a big enough crash the cops will beat UPS to your phone records. Or the other persons lawyer will.[/QQuote]

A bad accident or one where there is loss of life or substantial property damage involving a commercial vehicle normally warrants an investigation from state patrol and normally includes the DOT. No small affair. Lawyers have to subpoena info from there. it's just a lot easier not to take things for granted and get put in that spot from the beginning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By calling your carrier they can pull up every text (sent/received) and the times. They can even get a print out of each text. Wasn't texting ? Maybe surfing the net? They can pull up if/when you where using data (sending/receiving information).

UPS cannot call Verizon and ask them to pull up my account without my consent.

UPS legal could subpoena my phone records from Verizon.

C

chuchu

I know this to be true because ups ran over my brother at a stoplight and broke his neck several years ago.
You don't want to go there.
Stay off your phone while driving. Life is a lot easier for everyone.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
My management, center clerks, and other driver (misloads-directions) call my cell all the time. I'm often ask to call customers by management and by customers to arraign meet points or to ask or get directions. Its become an integral part of the communication loop and a tool to do my job. I generally don't talk while driving unless its a "hot" need and try and pull over immediately. I don't check texts until stopped or on the walk back to the truck. I try and always integrate any use within the delivery cycle so that it doesn't effect my delivery times. If I do take a personal call, doctor, school nurse, children, wife, or some other urgent matter I code it off as a break or deduct it from my lunch time.

Our management doesn't want us texting or talking on cell phone while driving or working but they rely and appreciate the level of efficiency and service this communication tool brings to the job. The don't make waves unless its being abused. Not saying that's the case around the country or in different barns.

Last edited:

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
UPS cannot call Verizon and ask them to pull up my account without my consent.

UPS legal could subpoena my phone records from Verizon.

UPS cannot subpoena any records. Only law enforcement can and they must have a reasonable suspicion that a criminal act may have occurred.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
By calling your carrier they can pull up every text (sent/received) and the times. They can even get a print out of each text. Wasn't texting ? Maybe surfing the net? They can pull up if/when you where using data (sending/receiving information). When will people learn EVERYTHING is tracked. People might believe law enforcement wouldn't go this far but when a commercial vehicle kills a family you'd be surprised the lengths they will go.

UPS is not a law enforcement agency. Only law enforcement can legal require a carrier to release any cell traffic and only for a specific time frame. They can't go fishing. Furthermore they also have the burden of proof that any cell phone traffic was the cause or a contributing cause of the accident.

Indecisi0n

My management, center clerks, and other driver (misloads-directions) call my cell all the time. i'm often ask to call customers to arraign meet points or to ask fro directions. Its become and integral part of the communication loop and a tool to do my job. I generally don't talk while driving unless its "hot" need and don't check texts until stopped or on a walk back to the truck. i try and always integrate any use within the delivery. If I do take a personal call, doctor, school nurse, or some other urgent matter I code it off as a break or deduct it from my lunch time.

Our management doesn't want us texting or talking on cell phone while driving but they rely and appreciate the level of efficiency and service this communication tool brings to the job.

​They don't appreciate it they abuse it.

Depending on who's charged.

Charged? Lawyers don't have to wait for someone to be charged for them to file civil proceedings. It could be the other persons fault and UPS will settle to make them go away.

As far as the driver all UPS has to do is suspend pending an investigation long enough to get them to play along.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
To those drivers stuck in the 70s and 80s, 1 word for ya, BLUETOOTH. Cant believe drivers are still stupid enough to text or talk on their cell without being hands free. Its that simple Bluetooth.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
To those drivers stuck in the 70s and 80s, 1 word for ya, BLUETOOTH. Cant believe drivers are still stupid enough to text or talk on their cell without being hands free. Its that simple Bluetooth.

There were no cell phones in the 70's and 80's. Here in the 2000's, us UPS drivers don't need to use our cell phones, that's why we have the Diad machine.

over9five

Staff member

Your attention is still divided. Don't talk on the cell while driving.

C

chuchu

Charged? Lawyers don't have to wait for someone to be charged for them to file civil proceedings. It could be the other persons fault and UPS will settle to make them go away.

As far as the driver all UPS has to do is suspend pending an investigation long enough to get them to play along.
They have to have just cause to subpoena your personal records. If our driver isn't charged but the other one is found at fault it's more difficult. That has NOTHING to do with ups "making it all go away" with an out of court settlement. Two different issues.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Don't talk on your cell all day on this job, now that's super funny dude. Even if your son,daughter or wife calls? Gimme a break dude you people acting like nerdballs about not talking on your cell phone even if its on Bluetooth need to go back to the caveman days when you guys started driving. You people are so hilarious dude lol. Unrealistic that's for sure.

C

chuchu

I can guarantee you that the cell records won't be the first info they req.....it'll be speed, maintenance records of the pc and the timecard of the employee to see if he had the required break in DOT hours. If he was seen on the phone by witnesses that going to be a problem for him and ups but there's more to hang us than that. Ask the feeder driver in philly.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No need to talk, or especially text while driving. I've seen my center manager ask to view a drivers phone after an accident, to view the call & text log. If that driver had been distracted by his phone, I'm sure he'd have had much less chance of getting his job back.

I dont use my phone while driving, but there is no way in hell I would allow a management person to "view" my phone in order to look for evidence to fire me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont have or need bluetooth. My iphone is in an Otter Box, clipped to the metal lip above the windshield. I can see it and reach it but I do not use it while the vehicle is in motion. Those who need to reach me during the day can send a text message, which I can read and respond to easily enough at my next stop. Even if I did have one of those Borg looking bluetooth gizmos stuck in my ear, there is no way I could hear it over the engine and road noise while the car was moving.

I normally use the DIAD for work related communication, but on an exception basis I will use my phone when the situation is urgent and immediate communication is needed. My supervisor has my number but only rarely and under dire cirumstances will he call me on it. There are times when it is simply in the best interests of everybody for me to go ahead and use my phone, but those times are rare. I dont worry about being accused of stealing time because (a) if Im calling my boss about a work-related issue that happens on company time not mine and (b) on a rural route like mine it is for all practical purposes impossible for them to park anywhere and spy on me.