First day as package car driver

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You might want to come in like an hour early and get your load right and tight your first 30 days until you gain senority. The loaders are horrible youll find out about the STEVIE WONDER loads real quick amigo lol.

MassWineGuy

Jumpman, that's a really good idea. The driver I worked with last holiday season would always go insane with how his truck was loaded.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
load.jpg This is what your looking to achieve every day with your load. Of course this is my reload at at 8am every stinking day cause the loaders suck so bad.
load.jpg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Selection shelf to start day is from 2000 section not 1000. Your top 2 shelves should be used for late afternoon residential storage. Exactly how ups way of loading does not work lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
And contrary to what all the numbnutts on here say"Man screw that I aint working for free" Your going to get that time back throughout the day whether your bulljiving with customers, getting a drink out of your cooler, getting a snack out or whatever. Don't be like everyone else and be lazy. A little extra effort to have a stress free day is well worth it. You can be average or above average, the choice is yours. Either you have a great work ethic or you don't its as simple as that son.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's actually 146 stops and 163 miles that day. That was just 1 day as an example. Had 220 pieces that day. The top 2 shelves are packed to the ceiling and no hand space between hardly any of the top 2 shelves. I wish it were like that every day homeboy lol.

JL 0513

I became a driver and made seniority this past spring. Struggled first couple weeks, especially since I had no experience with driving at all (no sat air driving, ect.). It was really stressful especially when the sup is with you the first week. They make you feel like an idiot. By the time the 3rd or so week came along, and the area knowledge was sticking, I was home free. Your time gets better and better. Don't worry, you do get to the point where you can take an hour lunch.

This is the first job I've had (I'm 34), that I don't obsess over the clock all day waiting for punch out time. It's a great feeling. You're just focused on the time as it relates to how your stops are progressing throughout the day. Time really does fly by compared to ever other job I've had where the days dragged on. I'm so happy to finally be in my life long career and I like it. And top rate will make me love it. Haha.

rowan

If it was ok for us to take it legally I think I would. Not sure if its ok to take and drive due to dot. Last thing I need is get in a accident and have that show up.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Getting that load right and tight is invaluable dude, cant stress it enough. You could be heavy as balls but if you know where everything is at it makes your day so much easier and stress free. Plus if you have to hop and skip because if you got airs you can run the section by the airs because you know exactly where that section is in your truck. I hear guys stressing and cussing all day trying to find stuff cause they don't touch their trucks in the am.

B

bowflex

I am on my 3rd day solo and wish i could organize my loads like that. a few of my stops have 30 -80 pieces so i am packed from the floor and all through the isle. after my airs i have to unload 80 pieces form the rear door before i can even move around in the truck. Instead of taking lunch I do spend time during the day trying to put my stuff in order but since i am new to the route its hard to put it in delivery order the most i can do is order it by HIN. the worst part is even if i get there by 7:30 my truck isnt even fully loaded and i have a safety class from 8 -830. I was told it may be my last day if i dont pick up the pace. as much as it would suck i think it would be a breath of fresh air.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I feel ya. You have to decide if you want to make a career here or not. Thats the big question. Only you know. Good job alot of bs though. But pays exremely well. If money is your motivation get it together soldier and dont give up. Been there done that youngblood. Keep your head up youll be ok.