First day as pre-loader and I want to quit

Maxstone

Go Play By The Fire
I was hired on during peak season. I applied for a driver helper job and like a dummy, agreed to doing pre load too. The hours didnt sound horrible so i said why not. I got thrown into the fire just like everyone else did. I was placed on some of the first cars on the belt so I also had to sort the belt. Lucky for me i had some great people working next to me who didnt mind pulling packages for me. While i was working preload i was also helping in the afternoon. sometimes out till almost eight in the evening just to come home and eat and go to sleep and do it all over agin the next day. i felt like quitting every day and i still do. we are over worked and under paid. we usually have three sups on for preload. i have no idea why we need that many but i think if we got rid of a few we could afford more loaders and have a quality load. but thats above my pay grade. anyways, this was never a permanent job for me becuase you simply cant afford to live working pre load by its self and i cant wait to move up in pay. so im just sticking it out till i can move on to bigger and better adventures. best of luck to anyone just starting.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was hired on during peak season. I applied for a driver helper job and like a dummy, agreed to doing pre load too. The hours didnt sound horrible so i said why not. I got thrown into the fire just like everyone else did. I was placed on some of the first cars on the belt so I also had to sort the belt. Lucky for me i had some great people working next to me who didnt mind pulling packages for me. While i was working preload i was also helping in the afternoon. sometimes out till almost eight in the evening just to come home and eat and go to sleep and do it all over agin the next day. i felt like quitting every day and i still do. we are over worked and under paid. we usually have three sups on for preload. i have no idea why we need that many but i think if we got rid of a few we could afford more loaders and have a quality load. but thats above my pay grade. anyways, this was never a permanent job for me becuase you simply cant afford to live working pre load by its self and i cant wait to move up in pay. so im just sticking it out till i can move on to bigger and better adventures. best of luck to anyone just starting.
Oh you wanna quit everyday? It's a cakewalk now....wait till August....lol.

Maxstone

Go Play By The Fire
yeah i hear ya on that one. i didnt take the weather into account. thats gotta be rough. i hope im not here long enough to experience that. sure ups is a great company, but i just dont think i can wait long enough to make decent money.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
yeah i hear ya on that one. i didnt take the weather into account. thats gotta be rough. i hope im not here long enough to experience that. sure ups is a great company, but i just dont think i can wait long enough to make decent money.
Get a second job...most of us PTers work 2 jobs.

upser92

It's not a bad job when you get used to it, just a little boring. I did it for awhile until eventually getting too close to my degree forcing me to quit

J

jibbs

I appreciate my job. I don't think I like it, but I definitely appreciate it.

I think the telltale sign would be the few that show up to preload 3am with a huge smile on their face and won't shut the hell up from start-time until we wrap-up. I feel like those guys like the job. I like the money, albeit slight, and benefits that my job provides me, but I definitely don't look forward to waking up early as all :censored2: so I can get my workout on with cardboard.

anthonyb1203

I had my first day as a pre-loader yesterday and I seriously feel like quitting! The training was so fast its like the supervisor expected me to do everything on my first day. The job is not that hard its actually easy if I was able to do it at my own pace. My problem is I cant keep up with the flow! I have to constantly look at my chart for each box on where its supposed to go in the drivers truck. While I am doing that my packages pass me on my belt and the employees complained that they keep having to pull my packages because I missed them. WTF its my first day!

Everyone I work with looks like they have been to jail. Luckily my drivers were understanding because I loaded up those trucks like SHYT. Does it get better? or should I just quit? I am a student however I wanted to maybe make a career out of working at ups. I have to work tomorrow 3am-8:30am and I am already feeling anxiety :/
You'll get better over time and depending on the equipment your center has that will also make it easier. Truth is, preload sucks and always will suck. I was on preload for 7 years and finally had enough. I had to switch to reload which is a million times less stressful than preload. I'm also a cover driver so I drive full time during season but for 5 miserable years I did nothing but preload and hated every minute and still do. Find out how long you'll have to work part time before your full time because if you can go to school and get a degree and be happy, then preloading is just going to drain you physically and pretty much make your back feel terrible after a few years and that's the truth. This part time crap isn't worth it unless your in it for the long run. Trust me. I could have went to school to be a dr and almost be a DR by now!

anthonyb1203

And also, regardless of what anyone on this site says, driving is a breeze compared to preloading. Once u learn a route it's up to u if you wanna bust your ass and do a good job or be lazy n do an "ok" job. I rather do my best, take my lunch and be home by 6:30-7pm

laffter

Hello? If you like pre-load, something's wrong with you.

I like preload, and until I have my chance to give driving a shot, I wouldn't want to do anything but load the brown trucks. Pickoff is ok- I can do it one day here and there, but the frustrations up there are way too much for me.

During peak I loaded 5 routes, but that was over a 7-9 hour shift. Not a problem.

On the regular, I load 3 (2 on Mondays [because I'm special]). For the most part, I have to stack out for two of them. They get regular bulk that has to be loaded down the center or at the very back. If I loaded it all right off the bat, earlier stops would be blocked by later stops and that would create a problem for the driver.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
And also, regardless of what anyone on this site says, driving is a breeze compared to preloading. Once u learn a route it's up to u if you wanna bust your ass and do a good job or be lazy n do an "ok" job. I rather do my best, take my lunch and be home by 6:30-7pm
Home by 630 as a driver?? Do you work in the Bubble of Goodness, because you obviously don't work in my building.....lol

anthonyb1203

Home by 630 as a driver?? Do you work in the Bubble of Goodness, because you obviously don't work in my building.....lol

lol if our center starts at 9 and I hustle and take a lunch I can usually make it back to the center a little after 6pm. That's with 160 stops. That IS an easier route tho. I know some routes r difficult. I'm just sayin if you go out there and try your best, no reason why u should be out for 10-11 hours. Some drivers just want OT and hey, that's great, it's just not for me I guess. I rather go home.

anthonyb1203

I like preload, and until I have my chance to give driving a shot, I wouldn't want to do anything but load the brown trucks. Pickoff is ok- I can do it one day here and there, but the frustrations up there are way too much for me.

During peak I loaded 5 routes, but that was over a 7-9 hour shift. Not a problem.

On the regular, I load 3 (2 on Mondays [because I'm special]). For the most part, I have to stack out for two of them. They get regular bulk that has to be loaded down the center or at the very back. If I loaded it all right off the bat, earlier stops would be blocked by later stops and that would create a problem for the driver.

If u loaded 5 routes they must have been light routes. I load 3 routes with over 450 packages in each car in 3 and a half hours. It sucks major ding dongs. Over "peak" if u even wanna call it that for our center, we load for maybe 6 hours and it's 3-4 trucks with 500+ in the trucks. Which is easier but still sucks. All our center has for preload is a conveyor belt lol. We have no nice equipment