First day as pre-loader and I want to quit

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Actually not Corporate but people like to say that so that's cool with me.
It was actually in Information Systems for the last 18 of my 40 years.
I started out in the Unload and then to the sort aisle and when I worked over I would work in loading of trailers on the outbound and sometimes working on Irregs. I transferred to the Preload and worked there for 2 years.
I was in Hub and Preload operations for 8 years total and then another 3 years in Hub Industrial Engineering.

Of these jobs (hardest to easiest) in my opinion
Physical (Load, Unload, Sort, Preload)
Mentally (Preload, Sort, Load, Unload)
Stress (Preload, Load, Sort, Unload)
Overall (Preload, Load, Unload, Sort)

Load was harder in many ways because it is so hard to level the flow out. It was OK job until you got blown out with heavy flow and then everything is a mess, off rollers and it's hard to catch up. Building good walls was the trickiest part of the Load job.
You are local sort.....have you worked the preload shift?

Many times, via double shifting.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah, man! After I qualified for benefits I realized just how awesome the insurance is. I had just under a $500 eye appointment that I walked out of after ordering a $95 frame and didn't pay a cent.

Made a doctor's appointment right after that, lol.
i know...it is nice. Under teamcare, I think we have a $10 co pay for vision.

J

jibbs

Many times, via double shifting.

Lucky sum bitch. I only know one guy in our center that occasionally double-shifts, and dude's got like 17 years seniority on the preload there.

i know...it is nice. Under teamcare, I think we have a $10 co pay for vision.

I would've been happy with that. The lady kind of :censored2:ed me up, though, she went through the bill adding everything up to like $470-something before I got frames, and then she looked me dead in the eye and said, "But with your insurance, you'll be paying..." and she directed my line of sight down to the bill/invoice she was filling out and writes '$0.00' and circled it like 4 times, "...$0 today, now how would you like to pay that?"

Boosted the :censored2: out of me, man.

Last edited by a moderator:

twizzle

I had my first day as a pre-loader yesterday and I seriously feel like quitting! The training was so fast its like the supervisor expected me to do everything on my first day. The job is not that hard its actually easy if I was able to do it at my own pace. My problem is I cant keep up with the flow! I have to constantly look at my chart for each box on where its supposed to go in the drivers truck. While I am doing that my packages pass me on my belt and the employees complained that they keep having to pull my packages because I missed them. WTF its my first day!

Everyone I work with looks like they have been to jail. Luckily my drivers were understanding because I loaded up those trucks like SHYT. Does it get better? or should I just quit? I am a student however I wanted to maybe make a career out of working at ups. I have to work tomorrow 3am-8:30am and I am already feeling anxiety :/

it will get better

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I would've been happy with that. The lady kind of :censored2:ed me up, though, she went through the bill adding everything up to like $470-something before I got frames, and then she looked me dead in the eye and said, "But with your insurance, you'll be paying..." and she directed my line of sight down to the bill/invoice she was filling out and writes '$0.00' and circled it like 4 times, "...$0 today, now how would you like to pay that?"

How would you like to pay $0 today? That's awesome. Now if they only said the same thing when I went to the beer store...lol.

Ouch

te="BadTipper, post: 1185903, member: 49191"]Preload is the worst. Hang in there for a bit and get promoted to a sup like me. We get benefits[/quote]
Dont you pay for your benefits being in supervision?

Ouch

So what do you mean become a sup like you because yall get benefits? Yall get the benefit of not being represented by the union. That unemployment line is long I've heard.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So what do you mean become a sup like you because yall get benefits? Yall get the benefit of not being represented by the union. That unemployment line is long I've heard.
Well...you also get the benefit of....bending over for your center manager everyday. I'm sure that never gets old either...lol.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lucky sum bitch. I only know one guy in our center that occasionally double-shifts, and dude's got like 17 years seniority on the preload there.

Yep, the supervisors really like me on the preload.

humored

I had my first day as a pre-loader yesterday and I seriously feel like quitting! The training was so fast its like the supervisor expected me to do everything on my first day. The job is not that hard its actually easy if I was able to do it at my own pace. My problem is I cant keep up with the flow! I have to constantly look at my chart for each box on where its supposed to go in the drivers truck. While I am doing that my packages pass me on my belt and the employees complained that they keep having to pull my packages because I missed them. WTF its my first day!

Everyone I work with looks like they have been to jail. Luckily my drivers were understanding because I loaded up those trucks like SHYT. Does it get better? or should I just quit? I am a student however I wanted to maybe make a career out of working at ups. I have to work tomorrow 3am-8:30am and I am already feeling anxiety :/

brownboy1

This job is not for a person that needs a slap on rhw back, food job. Rhos company is only concerned with productivity. You almost have to be disconnected, do your job, and for home
EXPECT NOTHING MORE!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Oak

Funny you should mention that.....I never used to wear my glasses to work....they're a hinderance when the sweat's pouring off your face and glasses keep sliding off when you bend over. But I'm getting old lol....can't strain my eyes anymore....especially on long peak shifts. So I gave in and started wearing them a few months ago...
I had gotten by with dollar store readers for years. Had a pair in each vehicle, boat, on my workbench, desk, etc. Seemed like then I could never find them when I needed them. When I did, they were always blurred with sweat or falling off my face like you mentioned.

My first ever trip to the eye doc, (God bless the Teamsters!) I asked about contacts due to the issues with glasses. The doc told me he was going to recommend them. I see fine at distance with my right eye and wear a contact in my left eye for close up vision.

I wasn't sure I'd be able to deal with putting something in my eye, but it's really not that bad at all. Once it's in I can't even tell it's there - except I can SEE. You don't actually touch your eye with your finger, it's the lens.

I insert a new lens, wear it for a week, then take it out overnight. After a month discard the lens and insert a new one. I highly recommend contacts for someone that is active.

Neutral

Remembering what order the shelves run is step 1 of 1000 in putting together a decent load.

A typical new hire, weeks into his employment, will still have to stop and think which shelf is which when he steps into the truck. I was right there with them when I started. It takes time for it to hit your "muscle memory", I guess you could call it. And even then, that's still an early step in improving speed and accuracy.

If all you do is walk into the truck and drop the box somewhere on, near, or around the appropriate shelf... then your load quality is going to be complete crap.

On a light day, like today, I will indeed say that everything I did today was, as you described, "caveman retarded". But during the busier times of the year, it is still, after 1.5 years of loading these same routes, mentally challenging to put together decent loads for the drivers.
I am glad you posted this. As a new preloader, I am going into my third week and wonder if it will get easier. I try to load from the top of the belt but some days fall behind. I have missed some packages that go down the belt and had some misloads. When I go into the truck with packages (up to four), I am doing the quick count in my head of where they should go. I try to check the trucks at the end for misloads and to put it in order but a lot of times I am told to just leave. How long is training? Is it normal to have to call in everyday to see if you are working or is that just for people that are not up to par?