First day as pre-loader and I want to quit

watdaflock?

I try to check the trucks at the end for misloads and to put it in order but a lot of times I am told to just leave. How long is training? Is it normal to have to call in everyday to see if you are working or is that just for people that are not up to par?

Usually at our little hub you don't get time to check for misloads either at the end of shift. Remember management does not want to pay you just to stand around double checking your work.

Double check the packages right before stepping into the truck the first time.
Having to call in every day is not that uncommon. Management does not know exactly how many trucks/routes they'll have until that AM. Very well possible with you being "bottom of the totem pole" you're the first person sent home if not needed.

Don't misload.
If a package or three gets by ya on the belt, that's not nearly as bad as misloads.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Usually at our little hub you don't get time to check for misloads either at the end of shift. Remember management does not want to pay you just to stand around double checking your work.

Double check the packages right before stepping into the truck the first time.
Having to call in every day is not that uncommon. Management does not know exactly how many trucks/routes they'll have until that AM. Very well possible with you being "bottom of the totem pole" you're the first person sent home if not needed.

Don't misload.
If a package or three gets by ya on the belt, that's not nearly as bad as misloads.

So rather than pay a preloader anywhere from $10-20/hour they would rather pay a driver $45/hr or more to run off any misloads which may have been caught had the loader gone back through the load.

It is not uncommon for new hires to have to call in to see if they are needed.

PT Car Washer

So rather than pay a preloader anywhere from $10-20/hour they would rather pay a driver $45/hr or more to run off any misloads which may have been caught had the loader gone back through the load.

It is not uncommon for new hires to have to call in to see if they are needed.
And rather then have a properly loaded truck UPS would just as soon the preloader just gets it in the right car and let the driver deal with it. Hopefully get it in the right car. Our preload manager thinks if you are not misloading you are not working fast enough.

oldngray

nowhere special
And rather then have a properly loaded truck UPS would just as soon the preloader just gets it in the right car and let the driver deal with it. Hopefully get it in the right car. Our preload manager thinks if you are not misloading you are not working fast enough.

The preload manager only cares about his own numbers looking good so its to his advantage to send preloaders home and let drivers finish. Especially since in most centers drivers are not allowed to take credit for sort and load time which would get charged to preload. Overall it costs UPS more money but its all about their own numbers. And UPS hopes the drivers will bust their butt and skip breaks to make up for that lost am time so its free money for UPS if they do it that way.

PT Car Washer

UPS would like the drivers to come in early to fix their loads and find misloads before they are on the clock. Put a stop to that in my building. Now the drivers complain about load quality and not being able to work off the clock to fix the preloads problems.

watdaflock?

I agree 100% but I know the answer would be "no" if I asked for an extra 10 minutes each day to go back and double check for misloads.

Since the raise sure seems like the bosses are pinching pennies even more = got a raise but my hours have gone down.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree 100% but I know the answer would be "no" if I asked for an extra 10 minutes each day to go back and double check for misloads.

Since the raise sure seems like the bosses are pinching pennies even more = got a raise but my hours have gone down.
Somedays I wish my hours would go down...at least I could get to my second job on time. I have an hour and half OT this week and it's only tuesday...