First day of IRS hearing end with a THUD...!

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
No worries.

I just wish in your back and forth in the heated Current Events that you do not get personal.

There are no stereotypes. We all have opinions and must attempt to play nice in the back and forth.

I lean right in my thoughts and post, but I read the other side the best I can and think about it.

Thank you. Though you did accuse me of stereotyping when I didn't.

I don't know you, and you don't know me, but we have a lot in common, apart from leaning right. I just have not seen anything that would resemble progress from the party on the right since Eisenhower. All I see is a party of obstruction that frankly comes off as a petulant child. American Taliban is an apt descriptor.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That Lois broad has been placed on administrative leave.....or as we call it, paid vacation !!! You can't fire people from those gov't jobs.....something wrong with that.

BrownArmy

I don't understand...

If Lois has nothing to hide, why did she invoke the 5th?

Is it correct that, in making her statement to the committee, she was actually ineligible to invoke the 5th?

What a freaking circus.

roadrunner2012

Troll
I don't understand...

If Lois has nothing to hide, why did she invoke the 5th?

Is it correct that, in making her statement to the committee, she was actually ineligible to invoke the 5th?

What a freaking circus.

It's her right, no to the second point, and yes, it's a circus

moreluck

golden ticket member
If she had let her lawyer read the statement.....she wouldn't be in trouble.........She read her own statement......you can't have your say and then plead the 5th.

oldngray

nowhere special
If she had let her lawyer read the statement.....she wouldn't be in trouble.........She read her own statement......you can't have your say and then plead the 5th.

This appears to be a case with no legal precedent. Nobody was so stupid to read a statement like she did before pleading the 5th because of the very real possibility of it being decided she would be waiving her rights. And she even has one of the best high priced lawyers in DC. I guess she was too arrogant to listen to him.

island1fox

Alan Dershowicz ---Long time Liberal Expert Attorney on Constitution and all legal matters claims IRS official gave up her right -- --SHE freely proclaimed in her opening statement that there was nothing she could be incriminated {derived from crime) SHE proclaimed that she had done nothing wrong, broke no rules and committed no crime ---erg --no right to take the 5th.
Of course RR would know more than this liberal renowned famous attorney.

roadrunner2012

Troll
"Some legal scholars, including Dershowitz, have said that in giving the opening statement, Lerner may have waived her Fifth Amendment protections."

'May' is the key word. Some agree, some don't. They all pretty much agree she is in way over her head. of course, if she was lying in her opening statement, that would be perjury, but that would be the least of her worries.

More educated opinion: IRS scandal: Will House throw Lois Lerner in slammer? (+video) - CSMonitor.com

"The key question here is whether Lerner was simply asserting her opinion that she is innocent or whether she was testifying about her version of the facts of the case, writes Orin Kerr, a professor at the George Washington University School of Law, on The Volokh Conspiracy legal blog.

Professor Kerr canvassed some criminal procedure law professors for their views on that matter.
“Opinions were somewhat mixed, but I think it’s fair to say that the bulk of responders thought that Lerner had not actually testified because she gave no statements about the facts of what happened,” Kerr writes. “If that view is right, Lerner successfully invoked her Fifth Amendment rights and cannot be called again.”"

moreluck

golden ticket member
In the meantime, why are these political groups allowed a tax free status? That's the real scandal.

So groups like Media Matters or the NAACP aren't even qualified. Any group that singles out a political candidate for or against is subject to audit and removal of their tax-free satus.

Upsmule

"Some legal scholars, including Dershowitz, have said that in giving the opening statement, Lerner may have waived her Fifth Amendment protections."
”"

HAAAA! Ahh thats great....

Reminds me of, "it all depends on what IS, is."

​Ha, effing birds of a feather! No change here either.