First day of work..

jaker

trolling
I disagree---if he is planning on making this his career he needs to start paying dues from day one. This would be the right thing to do whether he receives benefits or not. If this is just a job he should forget about the union.
In California you pay dues the moment you start , so that is not a problem

Con1989

Oh really nice. Will they pay you for the first week your there?

Yes they pay you for your class room week. They don't take union fees out of your first check either, so you get a little more than a $100 dollars. But you don't receive that check till the following week.

jaker

trolling
I will also say this you got lucky on your hire date , because if you would have got hired after October 1st you would be a seasonal worker

So welcome to the devil playground if you make it past your 30 days

laffter

I am interested to hear how his first day went.

Did they throw you into the circus, or did you actually have a day of "class"?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes they pay you for your class room week. They don't take union fees out of your first check either, so you get a little more than a $100 dollars. But you don't receive that check till the following week.
A week?!?!?!?!?! Holy! We got one day of indoctrination.

laffter

We had two days. On the third day, the union steward talked to us and had us sign the paperwork to join the union. Then they sent us to load cars.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had two days. On the third day, the union steward talked to us and had us sign the paperwork to join the union. Then they sent us to load cars.
OUr HR girl did that. Never met the steward, until he found out who my Dad was. Then, it was like I was his niece, or something. I was not happy when he retired.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
yep, same here. One day of videos and test, 4 days of real work then another test, which was supposed to be the test that got you in or out. But that was bull too..

Has anyone else noticed they are hiring now, in large amounts, as short of November? Word is, they dont want to hire people at last second instead hire them months in advance. I am sure this is now policy. The last four years has been the same thing, hire, hire and hire some more in the last second. Or does this apply to the notion that there will be mass retires after next year. Who knows, and I dont care.

To the OP, learn, learn and learn some more. Within a few months, should be like 1, 12th grade all over again. You have to learn from the soup you're with, then trash it and learn 100% of it on you own. As they see it, only correct car matters.

If you pull preload, then you're sunked. As I just stated above.

sosteezy_

I will also say this you got lucky on your hire date , because if you would have got hired after October 1st you would be a seasonal worker

So welcome to the devil playground if you make it past your 30 days

Hah thanks, yeah I think I can make it. I'm pretty athletic and I do weight lifting.

Con1989

Hey sosteezy, were you wearing a navy blue baseball hat? While I was walking out at the end of my shift I saw the trainer walking around with some newbies.

sosteezy_

Hey sosteezy, were you wearing a navy blue baseball hat? While I was walking out at the end of my shift I saw the trainer walking around with some newbies.

Naw man, yesterday I wore a gray t shirt with some black shorts. What shift do you have? I got the night shift.

sosteezy_

Alright everyone here's how it went yesterday. All we did was go over safety rules and watched a video. We got our id's and got out way earlier than I expected, the guy said we were gonna be there for the rest of the week. The guy was a dick though, he kept picking on me because I was quite lol. Anyways that's all we did, it wasn't much of a busy night.

Con1989

Naw man, yesterday I wore a gray t shirt with some black shorts. What shift do you have? I got the night shift.

I work twilight shift 5-10pm , but I got out at 11pm ish yesterday. And saw some Asian guy trainer herding around some newbies, they even had a chick in the group....but ya first week is kinda boring, and don't take anything personal they try to intimidate you sometimes. Just try to memorize safety rules, it kinda keeps them off your back a bit.

sosteezy_

I work twilight shift 5-10pm , but I got out at 11pm ish yesterday. And saw some Asian guy trainer herding around some newbies, they even had a chick in the group....but ya first week is kinda boring, and don't take anything personal they try to intimidate you sometimes. Just try to memorize safety rules, it kinda keeps them off your back a bit.

I got there at around 10:20 then Jenny? I think that's her name took us in to that room where they take you. And we left pretty early like around 1:30 and it seemed like there wasnt as many people like the twilight shift. But yeah thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind so the guy gets off my case.

jaker

trolling
Alright everyone here's how it went yesterday. All we did was go over safety rules and watched a video. We got our id's and got out way earlier than I expected, the guy said we were gonna be there for the rest of the week. The guy was a dick though, he kept picking on me because I was quite lol. Anyways that's all we did, it wasn't much of a busy night.
ID card I have work for this place for 12 years and not once have I got a ID card , I guess that comes with working in small hubs