First day of work..

working up a sweat

Find a friendly co-worker and ask lots of questions about how your hub runs . They will tell you stuff like you are the good sups and inept sups, the slackers and hard workers, etc. . You can also get info on when your bennies kick in from the steward.

Henry562

I applied for the pt package handler and went to my appointment today. All went well and the lady asked me to go back tommorow at 7 pm. Does this mean I got the job? I asked a couple of people who also showed up and they said the hr told them she would call them. Btw I applied at the Cerritos hub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I applied for the pt package handler and went to my appointment today. All went well and the lady asked me to go back tommorow at 7 pm. Does this mean I got the job? I asked a couple of people who also showed up and they said the hr told them she would call them. Btw I applied at the Cerritos hub.

The following self-test will tell you whether you got the job. Go in to the bathroom and breathe on the mirror---if it fogs up that means you passed the first test. Now, extend your left arm and grasp just below your wrist with the index and middle fingers of your right hand. Do you feel a pulse? That means you passed the second test and are fully qualified to be a PT package handler at UPS.

Henry562

I'm leaving McDonald's because they want full time and I can't with school. The hours I applied for are 11 pm to 5 am so it all works out for me.

H

htown0721

I should be good to go then.
What's after that test?
would it be safe to give a 2 week notice to my job as of now?

Just wait until you figure out if UPS is the right place for you, we had a new hire go through the week of training only to quite after the following Monday shift

Con1989

That doesn't mean you have the job just yet, it means you have another interview. But if they ask you to complete more forms online and come in to do more forms in person including an approval to do a back ground check that means you have the job. Good luck! I work at Cerritos hub.

Con1989

Brush up on your interviewing skills a bit before going in. There going to ask questions like:
Why do you want to work here?
How do you know when you have done a good job at work?
what is your work history?
Are you currently a student?
Do you have relaiable transportation?
How did you hear about this job?
Do you have any friends or relatives working for UPS?
Give me an example of hard work that you've experienced?
Do you go to the gym?
and the list goes on but there questions similiar to that. Dress presentable aswell. Good Luck!

Henry562

I was asked all that the first day but the hr said I was being interviewed again by someone else. I have my answers down pretty good. I also asked how I should go dressed she said shorts and shirt with regular shoes?

The second interview isn't that bad, they just want to know if your going to bend over backwards for there lame sups.

I pitch 4 routes on my belt and I see the newbies every time the HR rep gives them the tour. Before she walks up the steps she looks to see where I'm at. She pretty kool, but the HR rep at our north building feeds the group lies and I just tell them the truth.

Good luck and hydrate!!

sosteezy_

Alright thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to it. Any tips or advice you can give me?

Just pay attention to the lady, shes gonna try to talk you out. Act like if your on crack in a way and ask a lot of questions. After that you get another interview and speak with confidence, react quick with her questions. And they'll probably call you in a couple of week if it all goes well. Good luck! I also work at the cerritos hub and have the night shift as well.

sosteezy_

I just got out. In pretty sure I got the job. I have to take two forms of Id tommorow. What's after that.

After you take your I'd picture and fill out more paperwork, pretty much means that you got the job. Trust me by the end of the week your gonna hate it. I know I did.

sosteezy_

Alright everyone, the week went by fast. The things we did during training was watched videos, took tests and wedenesday and Thursday we went to the floor and we gave it a shot. On Friday we were back in the classroom and took the real tests and we got off early, which was pretty chill. Now it's monday and I officially have to say that I hate it! The only reason is because Im not a good loader, but hopefully that changes very soon and I get the hang of it. Anybody else here sucked when they first started?

laffter

Alright everyone, the week went by fast. The things we did during training was watched videos, took tests and wedenesday and Thursday we went to the floor and we gave it a shot. On Friday we were back in the classroom and took the real tests and we got off early, which was pretty chill. Now it's monday and I officially have to say that I hate it! The only reason is because Im not a good loader, but hopefully that changes very soon and I get the hang of it. Anybody else here sucked when they first started?

I can't remember, are you loading trailers or package cars?

Justaname

Everybody did. They call it an unskilled job, but it's actually a skill you obtain through experience just like every other job.

Henry562

Yea I took the I'd picture already and the forms and all that stuff. Just waiting on the call back now. I hope I get to unload. But if I load It'll take a little longer to get used to.