First day!

kingOFchester

I thought I would post about my first day.
So today was day #1
Arrived at the center at about 3:55am. I was scheduled to begin at 4:10am. I was amazed at the convoy of rats coming down the street into work. What a bunch of crazy people we are to be heading to work at an ungodly hour. I proceeded through the guard gate, signed in and headed to HR. I arrived in one piece. In the room were 9 other newbies. We filled out some more forms, got our ID's and then went to training. Our trainer was friendly and also a bit comical. Made the morning a tad better. We watched 3 different tapes. 1) on hazardous materials that lasted about 45 minutes. More information in that video then one could grasp or would even need to grasp. It did explain how to handle spills and also how to take care of the documents. 2) was on conveyor belt safety and lockout. Most of the information supplied in this video was common sense, such as...not cutting off a lock. But it was still informative. 3) A video that discussed HABITS. It was somewhat comical especially considering it was hosted by the PBS hometime cast members. We took 2 quizzes that we answered together so there was no way to really fail or even get an answer wrong. We were then sent off to our designated work area's. I was met by a manger who took me into a room to ask a few questions. Such as why do I want the job....why do I need benefits and the like. I wanted to say that it is my business why I wanted the benefits but I bit my tongue. He also wanted to know if I would be able to get up early. Again, I wanted to say something like "I am here aren't I?" But I bit my tongue again. He then brought me to the package car loading area. He introduced me to some young employee who briefly showed me how to load the package cars. After about 5 minutes he left and their I was loading several cars. I was careful to insure that the packages went into their respective places in the appropriate car. I used a crayon to circle each package car number on each box before placing them. After about 30 minutes the kid came back and said I had put a few box's in the wrong slot in the other truck. I asked him to show me. We walked into the other truck and he shows me the packages. I told him I did not put the m there as you can tell because they did not have the number circled. He said it was someone else. Anyway, spent about an hour doing that. It was the one job that I wanted. I certainly did not want to unload feeder trucks. I wanted something that would give my mind at least a little stimulation. I got to see a hazmat removal due to a irate driver that had a box being loaded that was leaking out some spoiled fish goop. I kept my distance as I did not feel the need to smell that. We went back up to the room and spoke a few minutes with the trainer. Then we were dismissed.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
thanks!! quick question. I know starting pay is 8.50. But how long before you get the .50 raise? Also, does the package car loader make an adtional .50 or 1.00? Thanks
i'm not sure on the raise ,there is a progression scale orf raises,learn who the shop steward is ,get to knw him and he will be able to help you!!

W

westsideworma

thanks!! quick question. I know starting pay is 8.50. But how long before you get the .50 raise? Also, does the package car loader make an adtional .50 or 1.00? Thanks

Package car loaders start at 9.50 an hour and after 90 days you get a 50 cent raise. At least thats how it is around here. I thought the preload shift itself made a dollar more per hour, but the unloaders and SPA personnel don't it seems. Thats kind of strange to me though since they DO perform the other jobs as well once they're done in those respective areas.

kingOFchester

Package car loaders start at 9.50 an hour and after 90 days you get a 50 cent raise. At least thats how it is around here. I thought the preload shift itself made a dollar more per hour, but the unloaders and SPA personnel don't it seems. Thats kind of strange to me though since they DO perform the other jobs as well once they're done in those respective areas.
Thanks!! That is what I had thought. just wanted to be sure. So.....I guess I will make and extra $18.00 a week!! Woo hoo!! At this "rate" I will be able to retire when I am 163 years old, rather then 163.5!!! :lol::thumbup1:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Thanks!! That is what I had thought. just wanted to be sure. So.....I guess I will make and extra $18.00 a week!! Woo hoo!! At this "rate" I will be able to retire when I am 163 years old, rather then 163.5!!! :lol::thumbup1:

Hang in there KOC. I know its not easy starting out and working for peanuts. Not sure how old you are but too often young people don't look into the future enough. I know I didn't when I was young. Not too many places out there (at least around here) that you can eventually make 28.00 an hour and have benefits. I bitch as much or more about UPS than anyone else but its scary to think what I would do w/o this job. If you can stick with it you should have a pretty secure future.

Ms Spoken

Welcome to the life of Brown. Just be glad that your loading trucks and not unloading feeders. The stuff you can blow out of your nose after working the pre-load is amazing.
Good luck to you and use your methods (wish I would have when I first started out.) But, hey those things were not important when I started at UPS and I'm paying the price now.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just be glad that your loading trucks and not unloading feeders.

Why? I unload feeders and actually enjoy it...usually. Its not so fun when you're moments from cruising speed and the words "TURN IT OFF" echo in your container. THAT's just infuriating. -Rocky

dillweed

Welcome kingOFchester! Sounds like you had a typical first day at UPS and many more to come. Good of you to mark every pkg and have the courage to tell the sup that didn't load those stinkers.

It can be a darned good job and great work-out. Plus you'll learn a LOT about self control and anger management. :cool:

Lobofan5

Im trying to think back if I was as eager as you are when I first started at UPS..

Sadly I think I was..but I got over it.

Great benefits and eventual great pay keep me going.

kingOFchester

Lobo,
Whatever I do in life I give it my all. I go in with total dedication. I am not one who gets into something with a half heart. So Yes I am eager. Eager to make a change in my life. Eager to do my best. Eager to save a boat load of money on insurance. Eager for Saturday to come so I can relax!:thumbup1:

RozUPS

Hey King

I'm one of the " rats" filling into the building with you in the morning...I've been there just about 6 months.. I unload the trailers. I'm on door 18 if you happen to get over to the other side of the building..Good luck and maybe we will meet someday.. I'll look for the guy with the crown on his head loading package cars.:w00t: What center are you loading?

Lobofan5

I used to be eager for Saturdays too..until I started to drive Saturday air..lol.

However, I am able to insure my entire family, with excellent coverage and so far, this being September, I have only paid $200. in premiums FOR the year. So, I'm grateful.

BTW get used to the UPS "test", you will take a lot of them and they will give you the answers EVERY time.

helenofcalifornia

Hey KOC! Atta boy for circling the car number on the packages. I wish my loader did that. Get to know your drivers and ask him how your load is working for them. Ask now because before long you will be too busy loading a couple of more trucks!!! Hope you go driving before too many years pass. Good luck.

kingOFchester

Hey King

I'm one of the " rats" filling into the building with you in the morning...I've been there just about 6 months.. I unload the trailers. I'm on door 18 if you happen to get over to the other side of the building..Good luck and maybe we will meet someday.. I'll look for the guy with the crown on his head loading package cars.:w00t: What center are you loading?
Hey Roz!! I am in west chester. I am on the orange line all the way on the end! I have a hat that says "life is good"...I think I am going to add another line to the cap....."Life WAS good until UPS". Just kidding.

So here I am day 3. seems like day 8, but only day 3. As I stated I am working the last 2 trucks so the lower belt pretty much stops after me. I had a bit of a lull, no packages to move, and so I decided to help take some of the bigger packages to the trucks that missed them as they went by. I hope this helped in some way.

Job, is good. I really like loading. I will talk to the drivers once they asign me a regular spot. Managment is trying to say that we should ignore the driver requests and do as the system is designed to do. I am not one to go against authority, but if they aren't there to see the situation, I will cerrtainly take some direction from the driver who has to work from whatever I did/caused. All I can do is my best and try to do things that make sense. I can see that not everything that goes on at the great brown beast is perfect. So, I will keep all of you fine UPSERS posted. I love this site and hope one day to beable to help those who are in my shoes and hopefuly i will be wearing driving shoes at that point.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
AAhhhhhh....A young go getter...those were the days! So refreshing so hear someone excited about their future with UPS. Didn't think people like this existed anymore The value of a good preloader cannot be measured!

kingOFchester

AAhhhhhh....A young go getter...those were the days! So refreshing so hear someone excited about their future with UPS. Didn't think people like this existed anymore The value of a good preloader cannot be measured!
Well....35yrs young!!:ohmy:
I have had my own business since I was 18!:wink:
Have had more then my sahre of employees who don't give 10% let alone 100%:mad:
My industry has gotten softer and softer and so my income has gone down and down. Throw in a divorce and health care and I am just making it. Tired of working 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day and have the stress of lease, customers, vendors, lawsuits, and employees. :sad:
So for now i will keep my business, work UPS and hope to make it to a driver and be able to clock out and leave my work problems at work!!:thumbup1:

#1angelfan

i preloaded for 9 years. once you get your own route, talk to the drivers, let them know you are willing to help them out with there load, maybe loading by suite number or something else. they will appreciate the hard work you do, and maybe you will get something in return. i took care of my drivers and at the end of peak, they took care of me.:thumbup1: