First days as a driver

moreluck

golden ticket member
The houses I am at are half a million dollar homes and no one has numbers ! This drives me nuts lol.

Another issues I run into is people don't seem to understand cars drive past their house from the left AND the right so put numbers are both sides of the box !
With just single or double digit addresses, it's the thing to do to have a plaque with the word "five" on it instead of 5. Lots of houses have that plaque here. I had mine first and they all copied off me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
With just single or double digit addresses, it's the thing to do to have a plaque with the word "five" on it instead of 5. Lots of houses have that plaque here. I had mine first and they all copied off me.
I've seen this for 4 digit addresses to, though they are rare. The ones I hate are those that use the Kokopelli type tiles for address numbers. It isn't easy to decipher a number out of a figure representation.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've seen this for 4 digit addresses to, though they are rare. The ones I hate are those that use the Kokopelli type tiles for address numbers. It isn't easy to decipher a number out of a figure representation.
I know it's an Indian/AZ. thing but I never 'got' that kokopelli thing. Next to turquoise, the kokopelli is the thing I saw most in all the gift shops!

bigbrownhen

I had one stop one day that had roman numerals instead of regular numbers. When the house sold, that was the first thing the new owners changed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We are all different and i understand this which is why i am not getting the PAL's changed (not my route). See i am a firm believer of covering my @$$. Before i leave in the morning i count my air, if its all not there i tell a sup (@$$ covered). If my air is bulked with the other packages i have to dig and there are times you just can't get access to it until you move things around.

We have all had late air, now what is the first thing the office says when you report a missing/late air? "Did you check the load before you left the building?" If you do things my way the answer is always yes. I try to make things easier on me. I know many people run out the shop blind (without counting air) but i choose not to. I like flying under the radar.

I think its interesting that checking air in the car is not part of the methods and there is no time built into the day for it but they want us to spend the time going it. I have no problem with this .:.its a good double check system but its the harassment the next day about your am time....you just can't win

rod

Retired 22 years
I would go for miles pounding the dirt roads on my route seeing only rusty beatup mailboxes with nothing on them. Eveything just came addressed "Joe Blow RR 3 or even Joe Blow with just a town name on it and you had to figure out even what route he was on. The road signs had so many bullet holes in them they couldn't be read. I spent alot of time at first opening mailboxes to see if there was mail in them so I could see who lived there. If you stopped to ask if someone knew where someone lived they would always say--"go see old so and so---he knows everyone". It never failed that everyone he knew had been dead for 20 years and now he didn't even know who lived on either side of him. Now days, around here at least, all the roads are blacktopped and everyone has a nice reflectorized E-911 address sign by their driveway. A route that used to take 3 months to learn now could be mastered in about 3 days. But------ along with all the new tech stuff came MORE stops. The driver who delivers my old area now is handling a bigger area with about twice the stops I used to do --- in a package car that should be assigned to the local mall and industrial park. I know my old P-500 would fit in the back of it. He doesn't have to worry about going into driveways---the damn thing barely fits on a city street.

iruhnman630

If you are on PAS/EDD use Find BC to make sure the air is in the DIAD before the commit time. As long as you scan it before the commit time and don't prerecord the stop it will not show late.
No way. I did my job by (1) telling my on car sup before I left that 1 nda was missing and (2) delivering the other air stops first and on time before driving to the address of the missing package.

bigbrownhen

We have all skipped a lunch and sorted the truck before start time to save time when we first started. I suggest you do not make a habit of it everyday, but it's your decision on how you work, it's your life. If you are on EDD, then you can glance at your day in the DIAD. See where your bulk stops are, your air. Get a mental plan for the day. I usually go off trace to get some of my bulk out of the way so I have the room to manuver. Deliver air first, if you can get the ground pkgs off at that stop too, good, but there is no harm if it's just the air when you're short on time.

Somedays it feels like running a UPS route is like trying to make sense of a kleidiscope that someone else is turning. They never look the same twice.

absolutely not, unless you are getting paid for it.

Don`t cast any stones as we`ve all done it one time or another.

If you want to go in and look at it and get an idea of what is where and what thats one thing. However as Iruhn has said don`t make it a habit for a lifetime and become one of the ones that sorts and load the truck off the clock. It`s a bad habit and you`re only robbing your paycheck to overcome UPS`s shortcomings.