First peak driving..

2014-09-17-21-41-11-915257091.png

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Peak is just like any other day you just have more stops and packages. One stop at a time and use your helper make him deliver the package to it's delivery point while you search and sort the next couple of stops and be ready to go to the next stop before your helper gets back to the car. If your helper is sitting in the jump seat and the car isn't moving your wasting time.

Likewise if the driver is sitting behind the wheel and the car isn't moving you're wasting time.

They are called helper teams for a reason.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You will be frustrated, fed up, angry, tired, and stressed before you even leave the building. Just deal with it and don't quit. You will get it done.

ChrisTheBrown

1) Get a rechargeable LED spotlight. I got mine for like $20 at home depot and it goes like a week on a charge.
2) When parking on any incline in the winter be super careful. Even if it's an automatic, you have it in park with the handbrake on, your truck can take off without you sliding down the road (It happened to me twice last winter).
3) Reduce your speed in the ice and snow, especially when turning. It will take longer to stop. Sounds like common sense, but it's easy for newer drivers to get package fever and want to gun it.
4) When it's snowing it's sometimes hard to see where roads/driveways are and it's pretty easy to get stuck and then realize you're ripping up someone's lawn accidentally.
5) If it looks like you might get stuck, don't try it. EC it. In some districts you can get hit with an accident for needing a towtruck.
6) You will likely have a helper and spend a good portion of your day sorting while the helper delivers. Stay calm and organized. Don't be afraid to hop out and deliver some if you get caught up sorting.
7) Get rid of big bulk early when possible. You will save a ton of time and headaches if you can break trace and deliver a couple big huge stupid boxes in the morning to help you move around the rest of the day.
8) Treat your helper well. They are doing the schittiest part of our job for a fraction of what we make. Be firm but respectful. If you're at a stop that has iffy dog(s), don't send your helper--go yourself. If you pack your lunch and the helper doesn't have a lunch or money, offer them something from your lunch like an apple or a bag of chips. If you buy them lunch, you'll be in for the stray cat syndrome where they'll expect it everyday.
9) Be careful when walking on ice/snow, especially on hills or icy driveways. You might want to request ice cleats for yourself and your helper. I personally rarely use them, but lots of people swear by them.
10) Always keep a couple of bags of sand on the driver side steps. They'll save your butt.
11) Know the rules for DoT hours and keep track of your DoT hours. It's your responsibility.
12) Take your full lunch and do it at a business where you can get away from the work. You and your helper will need the rest and a place to warm up.

Awesome advice, thanks!

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You will be frustrated, fed up, angry, tired, and stressed before you even leave the building. Just deal with it and don't quit. You will get it done.
We had a seasonal quit yesterday....just drove the truck back to the building around noon...almost full and walked out. The irony is the name of the split route that my center is using as a training route...lol.

Johnnywhat

I would like to ask a question under this forum also...

As I was hired a month ago I would like to do "driver help" for peak or whatever it's called. Can anyone give me details on that as far as a normal day would go? Would I get an increase in pay for the hours helping?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

As I was hired a month ago I would like to do "driver help" for peak or whatever it's called. Can anyone give me details on that as far as a normal day would go? Would I get an increase in pay for the hours helping?
Are you a PTer? It depends on your local. Some locals don't have a clause that allows PTers to double shift during peak as helpers. my local does...but it goes by seniority.

tacken

Run Forest Run.......

Johnnywhat

Yes I am PT. Some of the other workers said I would be able to(that's how I heard of driver help). Not sure if they know I'm PT or not

PT Car Washer

You are still required to work your normal sort so depending on what sort you work it may not be possible.

BigBeef42

You guys have any tips for driving in snow on hills? Im A little nervous about it, its my first peak too.

Sent using Ink and Canvas