First post-some sage advice on being a ground contractor on craigslist

bbsam

Staff member
See, this is what I don't understand either. All of us are being taken advantage of in one way or another by FedEx (yes, even you Ground contractors...).

[/COLOR]

Then much respect for you. In my observations, the contractors were pulled from the pool of IC's when we switched to ISP. These hardworking blue-collar types have absolutely no idea how to run a successful business or be an employer. FedEx took advantage of them and their inexperience during the new contract negotiations and severely undercut them, hobbling their ability to provide any type of benefit or finance new vehicles/add routes. The good drivers are overworked and underpaid. The bad drivers are overwhelmed and underpaid. This leads to the endless revolving door of mediocrity that has been installed at most Ground terminals.

Much of this is true. In our terminal, those effects have been muted because we already had several multi-route owners before transitioning to ISP. In many respects it seemed like the company was catching up with where our terminal already was. Some guys overpaid for routes, but that's not the companys fault.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
where did you find that rule? Pulled out of your ass, no doubt.

Oh yeah we all know you and the rest of the Ground ISP's pay such high wages that your people can post frequently on their Ipads by their in ground swimming pools while their butler serves them another tall drink.

P

pickup

Here is the posting that is linked in the first post of this thread. At some point, it might disappear and become an invalid link. I just wanted to include it for reference for future readers who hit the potential invalid link.:

[h=2]FEDEX POSTINGS[/h]please read this with all ears open. i am an ex contracter/ex employee. DO NOT apply if u have a family. DO NOT apply if u wont work 10 to 12 hrs a day for way way under industry standards. DO NOT apply if u do not like to be abused physically. DO NOT apply if you are not perfect at driving..... there are a 100 ways for u to get your driving priv. revoked . DO NOT apply if u wont come to work and hour before u leave to understand were you are going. DO NOT apply if u do not have MAPs for most contractors will provide u with maps u cant read.DO NOT apply if u do not want to drive a truck with 350,000 miles that rattles and leaks dust really bad. DO NOT apply if you do not want to be bit and chased by big and little dogs.DO NOT apply if you wont carry 30 to 50 lbs up or down a hundred yard snow covered muddy driveway.DO NOT apply if you do not like to have lies from customers told about you. DO NOT apply if you have ever made a mistake, because your route owner is perfect and will tell u so.DO NOT apply if you do not know every DOT law. DO NOT apply unless you are very mechanically inclined for u may have to fix small things on your truck.DO NOT apply because all the good routes are taken. finally DO NOT APPLY IF YOU WANT A LIFE!!!!

bbsam

Staff member
Oh yeah we all know you and the rest of the Ground ISP's pay such high wages that your people can post frequently on their Ipads by their in ground swimming pools while their butler serves them another tall drink.

I don't even fit that description. I mainly post from a smartphone...a device most of my drivers and a good percentage of the cell phone owning world have access to. You do know what a smartphone is, don't you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I love the Ground guys who come on here and say that they own homes and nice cars etc. How does someone do that on $10-$12 per hour or the lowball flat rate salary a lot of contractors pay? The answer is that they can't, but that doesn't stop the Lie Machine. Maybe some of them had good-paying jobs before or took a Ground job as a second career after retiring. That I can see. Otherwise...no way.

Cactus

I don't even fit that description. I mainly post from a smartphone...a device most of my drivers and a good percentage of the cell phone owning world have access to. You do know what a smartphone is, don't you?
I only own two of them, so........duh.

I suppose you use that same smartass talk to your people too. You must me a real peach to work for.

I bet your turnover rate is higher than you say too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I suppose you use that same smartass talk to your people too. You must me a real peach to work for.

The BS is starting to wear on me too. Nobody ever quits bbsam Inc. considering the big money he pays, right? Remember, Ground is the second coming of Jesus, so you'd better get in-line. What a bunch of crap.

bbsam

Staff member

well you were the one who suggested Ground drivers were far too destitute to be able to post here.

And you would lose that bet.

bbsam

Staff member
The BS is starting to wear on me too. Nobody ever quits bbsam Inc. considering the big money he pays, right? Remember, Ground is the second coming of Jesus, so you'd better get in-line. What a bunch of crap.
I bet the reason they don't quit is because the economy is so bad. But once the economy recovers....

Cactus

well you were the one who suggested Ground drivers were far too destitute to be able to post here.

And you would lose that bet.

Oh I don't think so.

Besides you and other ISP's work them too many hours. Some of them hours they actually get paid for.

Fedexoffice_driver

then why do they stay?
Because unlike us at fedex they just don't hired any joe off the street I'm pretty sure some of your drivers have record,points that would red flag them at fedex in other words your hiring standards are lax I know a ground guy was arrested for domestic dispute last month last week he was back at word at fedex that would have gotten you fired it's company policy when it comes to arrest specially that

HomeDelivery

Do they even drug test them like the rest of us and DOT approve them just wondering

yes, we get random testing and carry DOT health cards as well... usually healthy ones have a 2 year card, while others with some health problems have it for 1 year or less

on the PR BS thread, they also have to have previous experience & if they hit a cone during the road test, they will get DQ'ed so they're attempting to have more qualified drivers than the average joe

STFXG

then why do they stay?
Because unlike us at fedex they just don't hired any joe off the street I'm pretty sure some of your drivers have record,points that would red flag them at fedex in other words your hiring standards are lax I know a ground guy was arrested for domestic dispute last month last week he was back at word at fedex that would have gotten you fired it's company policy when it comes to arrest specially that

We have a complete background check at ground. That should be obvious. Arrested and convicted are different. What a dopey post...

I think he is one individual. Don't you think you would see many, many more? How can you take one rant and declare it typical?
The description is right, got some bad spelling but right. I worked for ground. A lot of ground drivers are probably too tired to respond on these forums.