First Responder

Retiree

The average bill for a minor spill is $750 to $1000 dollars. It is much less expensive to have inside, trained haz mat responders. Even when you include annual training cost and medical exams every two years. There is no way major hubs could function without designated responders.

I was a Responder and hazmat auditor, did that for 2 years as union. Then became a PT Sup. Now I am the PT RMP(2 years now), basically looking over who fills my shoes. I do a lot of Compliance work(Audits). I don't regret anything.

You work majority of the time unsupervised as a union responder. Have to keep up with paperwork and supply inventory.

czalinsky

I've been asked if I want to be a first responder for my sort (for hazmats). I don't know anything about hazmats really. I'm sure they would teach me. My questions are,

What does the physical include?
Do I get better pay?

Basically. Why should I say yes? ( my sup said I didn't have to) I mean I like learning new things. I've learned so much in just a year. What are the pros and cons, because my first thought was yes, now I don't know what to think. Any input and feedback would be appreciated.
I've been a responder for over a year now. I like it. I do get extra hours cuz I stay after and Repack/damage/RTS leaking stuff or stuff that has been leaked on. No one takes advantage of me. How could they. I love the extra money with the more hours

capt42

I've been a Responder for three years. Was a Responder also when I worked other sort for three years. It's a good gig if you make it that way. As long as the culture of the building allows you to do your job and everybody is good with how you do it. It's gotten me a huge jump in hours, roughly 32-40 hours as a part timer.