First wreck. What will happen?

Cupid

I'm a part time pre-loader who does volunteer driving on Saturdays and throughout the week.

Friday morning I went out with three stops. I was turning around on a sub-street and turned right onto a main road and hit a telephone pole causing the mirror on the passenger side to shatter all over the cab, the windshield to break and bending the hood.

Of course I called it in the moment it happened. I'm just wondering what our policy is for volunteer driving. They're asking me to work tomorrow (Saturday) because they're short on drivers and they say I need a supervisor to go along with me to make sure I'm driving safely. Does that mean they'll be asking me to drive again since it's my first offense and it's a minor wreck as far as wrecks go? They asked me to work tomorrow right after the wreck happened.

I haven't had a union meeting yet. that will be happening next week I guess.

Help me, guys. I want advice and input.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If they've asked you to drive again, so soon, I'd say that you'll be okay. Were you just not paying attention, or distracted by something? Be careful when you drive. Drive as though your very life depended on it, and don't get cocky with your vehicle.

klein

Für Meno :)
Don't worry. It is mandatory, that a sup drives along the very next day, after an accident.
UPS Policy.
Looks to me, you have nothing to worry about.

Happens several times per year, in almost every hub.

Cupid

I was paying attention, but it was a bit foggy out this morning and I didn't see it right away. by the time I did see it, it was on top of me.

Five minutes after the wreck I saw my board light up and I got a message saying "Watch out for fog!"

no ****..

I replied with "yes thank you"

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Just because you are being asked to drive again does not mean your out of the woods. The company has 20 days to investigate all accidents.

minkie188

Warning letter, second would be suspension if within 9 months, third within 18 month termination. If all were avoidable. Be careful out there. Good Luck

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Don't worry. It is mandatory, that a sup drives along the very next day, after an accident.
UPS Policy.
Looks to me, you have nothing to worry about.

Happens several times per year, in almost every hub.
Very true! Another word of advice......Don't stop at a bar for a cold one during lunch.:surprised:

RoyalFlush

One of Them
In my district (at least the old one) the managment team would help you lie your way out of it to avoid having the district get charged with an accident. It's win win. It's sad, but true.

whiskey

I'm a part time pre-loader who does volunteer driving on Saturdays and throughout the week.

Friday morning I went out with three stops. I was turning around on a sub-street and turned right onto a main road and hit a telephone pole causing the mirror on the passenger side to shatter all over the cab, the windshield to break and bending the hood.

Of course I called it in the moment it happened. I'm just wondering what our policy is for volunteer driving. They're asking me to work tomorrow (Saturday) because they're short on drivers and they say I need a supervisor to go along with me to make sure I'm driving safely. Does that mean they'll be asking me to drive again since it's my first offense and it's a minor wreck as far as wrecks go? They asked me to work tomorrow right after the wreck happened.

I haven't had a union meeting yet. that will be happening next week I guess.

Help me, guys. I want advice and input.

I'm not sure what a sub-street is.
And I thought all hoods were made of fiberglass. That stuff breaks, it doesn't bend.
I wouldn't worry about this fender bender. But you have started down the path to be a candidate for UPS RAT school in the future. RAT is an acronym for Repeater Accident Training.

brownrod

Our new p1000's have metal hoods. As do some p7's with the same style hood. Our new p12's have fiberglass hoods and most of our p12's have the same style fiberglass hood.

Regarding the accident. They will go over all the safety mumbo jumbo with you again. Make you sign a bunch of stuff. A sup will ride a long with you and quiz while you are driving. They will give you a warning letter. Maybe some bigwig you've never heard of will will talk to you in the office and try to scare you. Then pretty much it's just like it never happened and you go back to life as normal.

tieguy

Banned
Think about what could have happened if that telephone pole had been a person and figure out what you need to do differently in the future.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well said, tg! This is the sort of safety mumbo jumbo that makes this incident very real. Do not forget that there are other people on the road with you. Their lives are in your hands and visa versa.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Warning letter, second would be suspension if within 9 months, third within 18 month termination. If all were avoidable. Be careful out there. Good Luck

What contract are you quoting this from? Because in the contract that I read nowhere does it say anything like that! My contract speaks on serious accidents and criteria for one which could be a terminating offense but does not mean it is. I really hope you are talking nonsense and hope that no one has that language in their supplement.

SWORDFISH

First of all you will be fine just learn from what you did and dont make excuses(this is very big in UPS's eyes). The accident process depends on where you work. For instance in the west our policy is you must have supe ride w/ you the next time you drive. You get a nice conference call w/ your DM, center manager and OCS that is anything but pleasant. If you have to do that try and say as little as possible and dont make excuses. As for disipline in our area they go straight from warning letter to fired if they want. They dont have to progress to it but it also doesnt mean any of those disciplines stick. We have a guy right now that has had 3 accidents in the last 9 months one of which was a role away and all deemed avoidalbe. He got fired for the 2nd one and got his job back, 3rd one he got fired again hes still working fired right now(case hasnt been decided yet). He has like 9 accidents in 9 years. Anyway that should give you some peace if your worrying about it.

Hey Klein, I have one for you. There are 3 drivers(1 of wich has one pending) w/ 2 DWI tickets in my state. They are all drivers and all still employed. There case is being heard in national panel to whether they will be able to drive w/ that status or not. I wanted to start a thread about that one but dont know how to start one.

klein

Für Meno :)
Hey Klein, I have one for you. There are 3 drivers(1 of wich has one pending) w/ 2 DWI tickets in my state. They are all drivers and all still employed. There case is being heard in national panel to whether they will be able to drive w/ that status or not. I wanted to start a thread about that one but dont know how to start one.

Has really nothing to do with me. I have never gooten a DWI in my life.
To start a thread, click on the Forums link above. Find a suitable category (UPS discussions), click on that link (on the right I believe), and a new page will open up, then on the top left side of that discussion, you'll see a link "Start new thread" , and there ya go.
Your ready to make a headline and write about it.