First year driver question

U

uber

So as a first year driver we don't get vacation. When I was a part timer last year I had taken all my vacations so I had zero in my bank. My seniority date has came and passed and it hasn't been rebooted to the number I was supposed to get but couldn't take this year. I was always under the impression that as a new driver we get to keep our vacations, but get paid out for them. I know another newer driver got paid out for his vacations. I'm wondering why after my seniority date my vacations weren't rebooted.

Sorry if that was confusing.

UPSGUY72

Ask your SUP or HR person to fix the problem. The number of weeks of vacation you get if based on years of service from your start date and if you worked enough hours the year before. It has nothing to do with you being a PT or FT worked or what job you have...

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
You would be amazed how often payroll screws peoples' entitlements up. I have 31 employees, and every year there are 2-3 that don't accumulate what they were supposed to have, or payroll forgets to pay out their remaining option days, or payroll forgets to pay them correctly for a working holiday (lots of those in the air division), or payroll loses a check, or payroll doesn't direct deposit someones paycheck, nor do they send a paper copy, etc etc.

They watch my hourlies and my PT sups overage hours like a hawk, but who's holding them accountable? Seems like no one to me...

U

uber

So its true that you don't forfeit your vacations when your a first year driver?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What you have now, is two seniority dates, company hire date and full time date. You might want to talk to your BA about using the weeks. You won't lose any, that's for sure.

U

uber

What you have now, is two seniority dates, company hire date and full time date. You might want to talk to your BA about using the weeks. You won't lose any, that's for sure.

But vacations go off of your company hire date. Right? I mean, afterall that is how they are accumulated. Off years of service.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How long did you work part-time? The date you were hired will be the company date. You will accrue vacations from that date. You will pick vacations, bid routes, etc, from the date you became a full timer.

U

uber

How long did you work part-time? The date you were hired will be the company date. You will accrue vacations from that date. You will pick vacations, bid routes, etc, from the date you became a full timer.

​5.5 years.

Thats what I thought. So, I'm still entitled to the same amount of vacations as when I was a part timer. Something must be messed up in the system then for me not to have my vacations restocked after my seniority date.

U

uber

You earned your PT vacations last year. In my area UPS will pay you for them, 20 hours paid. This year you are earning your FT vacations, 45 hours paid.

Should be more than 20 hours as when my seniority date (which just passed) I was supposed to have 3 weeks vacation if I was still part-time.

PT Car Washer

Should be more than 20 hours as when my seniority date (which just passed) I was supposed to have 3 weeks vacation if I was still part-time.
Sorry, I ment 20 hours a week x 2 plus 25 hours for optional week. Here UPS pays you off( like the other new driver).
Now you start earning your FT vacations. Some people can't understand you are a new hire. No more PT.

opie

I'm gonna piggyback on this thread and ask a question I've been wondering about. If a part timer goes into a full time job. And his/her pay rate is higher than the starting wage for the FT job, would they keep their hourly rate until progression catches up with them? An example is a PTer making $20 an hour, accepts a FT package driver position. Would they start at $20 instead of $16.10? Article 41.2 states "Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression..." It sounds like a PTer would be "red circled" meaning they would keep their PT pay rate until it the progression rate passes them. I know if you move into a 22.3 job and your rate is higher, then you keep your current rate. But for package or other FT positions, I'm not sure, I've always heard your pay rate can't go down, but does anyone know for sure?

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm gonna piggyback on this thread and ask a question I've been wondering about. If a part timer goes into a full time job. And his/her pay rate is higher than the starting wage for the FT job, would they keep their hourly rate until progression catches up with them? An example is a PTer making $20 an hour, accepts a FT package driver position. Would they start at $20 instead of $16.10? Article 41.2 states "Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression..." It sounds like a PTer would be "red circled" meaning they would keep their PT pay rate until it the progression rate passes them. I know if you move into a 22.3 job and your rate is higher, then you keep your current rate. But for package or other FT positions, I'm not sure, I've always heard your pay rate can't go down, but does anyone know for sure?

Your pay rate can go down, but when going from PT to FT it can't. You'll be red circled until progression catches up. If a FT PC driver goes 22.3 they will lose pay rate because the top rate is lower. I think that's the only place it happens since FT can't go to PT and I believe every other FT position has the same top rate that is higher than 22.3.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Your pay rate can go down, but when going from PT to FT it can't. You'll be red circled until progression catches up. If a FT PC driver goes 22.3 they will lose pay rate because the top rate is lower. I think that's the only place it happens since FT can't go to PT and I believe every other FT position has the same top rate that is higher than 22.3.
Had an ODC clerk that also drove on Saturdays go FT driver. She told UPS she should be paid her Sat. wage ($24.+) instead of lower starting driver wage($16.+). Worked for a while untill payroll said no and made her pay back the overages.

U

uber

How many hours of vacation does your pay stub currently say?

Zero. That was why I posted this thread. In the beginning of March it didn't reboot my vacations like it was supposed to for my seniority date. It was at zero because I took all my vacations from last year.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I did. He referred me to the center manager who then told me he would get back to me about it. That was Monday.

Payroll responds to questions submitted through the Time and Labor application within 24 hours. This just means that they haven't taken the (LITERALLY) 2 MINUTES to fill out and submit a question to them, or they haven't checked their email for it.

I'm also a little sad about the fact that your supervisor didn't know how to do this. I'd say I'd check on it for you, but they won't respond to questions about people outside of my umbrella.