Fiscal Responsibility Going Forward

av8torntn

What was radical then is the norm now and the powers that be don't look to be all that enthralled with "the good ol'days".

But the people that give the powers that be the power are wanting a lower tax burden. While it is a long shot to eliminate the penalty on income there is growing support for it. There have been best selling books written on the subject as well as politicians elected to office with this as their platform.

bbsam

Staff member
But the people that give the powers that be the power are wanting a lower tax burden. While it is a long shot to eliminate the penalty on income there is growing support for it. There have been best selling books written on the subject as well as politicians elected to office with this as their platform.
I understand your point. I would suggest to you that there was even broader support for more politicians who supported term limits. Why hasn't that one come up again? Both sound like campaign-speak to me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I want to give you a quick update on our efforts to pass the Republican earmark ban in the Senate.

First, the number of senators who have publicly pledged to support the ban has grown to 14. Here's the current list of cosponsors. You will be pleased to know that all five of the SCF-backed candidates have taken a bold, public stand as they promised.

1. Jim DeMint (R-SC)
  2. Tom Coburn (R-OK)
  3. Pat Toomey (R-PA)
  4. Marco Rubio (R-FL)
  5. Rand Paul (R-KY)
6. Mike Lee (R-UT)
7.Ron Johnson (R-WI)
8.Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
9.John Ensign (R-NV)
10.Mike Enzi (R-WY)
11.John Cornyn (R-TX)
12.Richard Burr (R-NC)
13.Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
14.Bob Corker (R-TN)

Gee, no Dems. on that list yet. Surprised?

wkmac

Never needed a Constitutional amendment for an income tax. America's iconic frau.....hero Lincoln instituted an income tax in 1862' without any change or adjustment to the Constitution. Also what we know as the Internal Revenue Service was also created by this same repubican president so if we're looking to root blame here! Google Income Tax and IRS if you doubt what I'm saying. Even the IRS admits this.

Democrats may be better exploiters (although there's room for honest debate there) seems it's the repubs who are the masters of getting it all started. And I'm to ignore history and take these people at their word? I guess it's just proven true again what PT Barnum said about suckers!
:peaceful:

bbsam

Staff member
I want to give you a quick update on our efforts to pass the Republican earmark ban in the Senate.

First, the number of senators who have publicly pledged to support the ban has grown to 14. Here's the current list of cosponsors. You will be pleased to know that all five of the SCF-backed candidates have taken a bold, public stand as they promised.

1. Jim DeMint (R-SC)
  2. Tom Coburn (R-OK)
  3. Pat Toomey (R-PA)
  4. Marco Rubio (R-FL)
  5. Rand Paul (R-KY)
6. Mike Lee (R-UT)
7.Ron Johnson (R-WI)
8.Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
9.John Ensign (R-NV)
10.Mike Enzi (R-WY)
11.John Cornyn (R-TX)
12.Richard Burr (R-NC)
13.Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
14.Bob Corker (R-TN)

Gee, no Dems. on that list yet. Surprised?

No, I'm not surprised at all. Ear mark banning is a ploy. The numbers are relatively "zero, zilch, nada, nothing". It is an attempt to make it look like they are cutting spending while doing nothing.

diesel96

If we reduce the defense budget the terrorists win!

Unfortunately, Rumsfeld not suggesting this from his jail cell...

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/11/10/rumsfeld-defense-tea-progressive/

Just a minor reminder. The start of the collaspe of the American economy originated since the Republican dominated Reagan days, and peeked in 08. In fact, one can go back even further when one realizes, (besides American Tech and the internet boom) that the only facets of the economy that were growing were; defense contractors, the energy industry, the housing market, and Wall Street. And the only facet lessoning was tax revenue from the rich....you do the math, it's indefensible. If only the Tea Party would focus on Corperate welfare and Defense spending....

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have to laugh at the Dems. suggestions for cutting the $$ being spent. It's like why didn't you consider this 2 years ago?? When the Republicans get in in January they ought to call their bluff and agree to everything on that list and the Dems would faint!!

av8torntn

Never needed a Constitutional amendment for an income tax. :

Sure they did or the Supreme Court would not have struck down the income tax law. They struck down a flat income tax because it did not apply equally according to the population of the states. That was the Congress even trying to be creative to get around the Constitution. They do not even bother their selves to try and get creative any longer. How do you think they would have ruled on a progressive income tax? The better question is why would you think they would have ruled differently on a progressive income tax?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
150.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
Lue, do you read what you post? Look closely at the chart. See what happens when the "fiscally responsible" republicans are in charge? Hell, I look at the chart and really start missing President Clinton. From '96 to '06 when the "conservatives" held sway what is all that about? One could even make the point (I think) that alot of the earmarks after 2008 were part of the stimulus plan. But now I'm sure we have the "right conservatives" coming in, right? Yeah, right.:wink2:

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Lue, do you read what you post? Look closely at the chart. See what happens when the "fiscally responsible" republicans are in charge? Hell, I look at the chart and really start missing President Clinton. From '96 to '06 when the "conservatives" held sway what is all that about? One could even make the point (I think) that alot of the earmarks after 2008 were part of the stimulus plan. But now I'm sure we have the "right conservatives" coming in, right? Yeah, right.:wink2:

I do and just because you might think im bashing Dems...your wrong...im against all earmarks from all politicians. If you read the current news and certain republican is against stopping earmarks...can you guess who? Hopefully he will be gone when his term is up.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
So do you think they will continue after earmarks harder than they did term limits?

The pessimist (reality) in me says neither will happen...but i can always hope and maybe if more people get envloved and more voters get pissed off something might actually get done. I really doubt that term limits will ever happen...that is like saying you only want to work for a few years and then go look for another job. They dont want to lose the power once they are in.