Fish

UPSmeoff

Here's your damn fish..............
IMG_0299_1_2_1.JPG

rod

Retired 22 years
In the seattle fish market the vendors found a way to take a dirty cold job of selling fish and make it fun.

Are you saying that like the fish vendors of Seattle everyone at UPS should start throwing packages around- I mean even more than now?:happy2:

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
I think UPS should abandon it's "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. It's outdated and infringes on an American's fundamental right to the freedom of speech. Seriously, if someone is willing to die for this company, just to deliver a package, they should be permitted access to the same pursuit of happiness as anyone else.

UPS does have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy...doesn't it?

feeder53

ADKtrails
I think that we learn from the day we are born to the day we check out.....Any way of making it easier would be well worth the read for anyone. Life is what you make of it....

UPS Lifer

When I was working I used to love to read motivational books. It helps to recharge your positive attitude and try new things with your people.

I received this email from my sister-in-law today and it sums up my beliefs of leadership pretty well. this came from Michael Josephson.

Start Young

If we started teaching and coaching these tips and actually implemented courses in high school (maybe grammer school!) and encouraged new parenting classes with this info included - we would engrain this philosophy into our young adults. This should also be incorporated into management training courses as well as Manager Meetings or Conferences (wink Tie)!

Leadership Tips for Parents, Teachers, and Managers

Parents, teachers, and managers have one thing in common: They have the power to tell somebody to do something.

Whether it’s washing the dishes, learning the metric system, or coming to work on time, there is a superior-subordinate relationship that includes the additional power to judge the quality of performance and impose discipline if expectations are not met.

There is, however, a moral responsibility to use this leadership power effectively (as measured by results) and ethically (as measured by the propriety of the methods used to attain the results).

The best parents, teachers, and managers use their authority fairly and respectfully, both because it’s the right thing to do and because it produces better results. And as they realize that building solid and durable relationships based on mutual trust and respect is more important in the long run than accomplishing a particular task, they avoid motivational techniques likely to undermine a relationship.

A powerful leadership insight comes from poet Maya Angelou who said, “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

From a leadership point of view, the better you make others feel, the better they will do. It’s the perfect marriage between ethics and effectiveness.

Good leaders motivate positively. They generate commitment based on pride and desire. They make people feel valued, appreciated, confident, respected, and inspired. Weak leaders use negative tactics that evoke fear of shame or disdain. They leave people feeling resentful, discouraged, unsure, and apathetic – counterproductive attitudes that cause disengagement and alienation.

So how do you make people feel?

Do they feel better or worse about themselves? Do they desire or dread their interactions with you? Do they expect to be encouraged and praised or criticized and rebuked?

Good leaders get the best out of others by using the best of themselves.

UPS Lifer

[quote
[So how do you make people feel?

Do they feel better or worse about themselves? Do they desire or dread their interactions with you? Do they expect to be encouraged and praised or criticized and rebuked?

Good leaders get the best out of others by using the best of themselves
[/quote]

If you answer these questions truthfully you will know where you need to start!

HazMatMan

DJ finished 26th in his last race in Atlanta where UPS headquarters is. Way to go Dale...I figured i'd go off topic since this thread was started in 2006...

Channahon

Throughout my management career I always appreciated the training given to me at every level of management.

What I hated was required reading on motivational books, and even more the motivational posters. You know the kind: Teamwork - every one rowing the boat
Challenge - picture of a tough hole on a golf course.

I enjoyed all my years of management at UPS,
I managed from my heart to do the right thing for my employees and UPS as a business person.

Now are there UPS management that can benefit from this type of reading ? You bet there are.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
"Don't ask, don't tell"

I dont recall any one asking, but yet you feel the need to tell us anyway? O GEEEZZ, please dont!

Why is it that you feel the overwhelming need to tell everyone, and to make it a point in every conversation? If any of us were truly interested, we would ask, really we would.

d