Fixing the Peak Problem with Large Retailer Shippers

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Supply and demand. Dictates price with other things.
That's my point.
While I agree that it can be a slippery slope, it's no different than if for example you need a plumber at your house ASAP or if you wanted the newest car in that special color. Your gonna pay extra.

TUT

So you have no problem when home improvement stores double their generator prices during extended power outages?

One is planned vs unplanned. I guess you are ok with the price of Hotels fluctuating based on events and seasons. Think. I'm not really for it, but it's out there to do if both carriers agreed to do it together. They won't though, so no reason to waste too much time on this.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Perhaps UPS should make their plans next peak based upon a number of packages that will be accepted from the largest shippers each day of peak and then refuse to accept any number above that from the shippers.

FedEx does this, especially when UPS goes on strike, and again this peak with Amazon.

When Amazon, Walmart and other large retailer shippers see UPS is serious, then they will initiate programs to encourage their customers to buy early rather waiting until the last couple of days before Christmas.

If this is what FedEx why in the world is ups not saying so. My reply would of been FedEx refused any shipments over x amount. This is why we got hit so hard on Xmas eve. We tried very hard to make up for fedex's definciany but we could not.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

FedEx had no scruples concerning their "Brown Bailout" campaign, back when UPS supported changing the REA exemption, and that was being intellectually dishonest (there wouldn't have been any "bailout"; FedEx is the only one being bailed out).

Make no excuse, UPS dropped the ball, but it pays to point out we did so because we were the only ones willing to take it on. Insinuate that FedEx flatly said "No" to some people, and we tried our best to help them.

TUT

Would you like to be Larry at this time?

"This has been the worst Christmas ever," said Larry Ledet, 55, of Houston, who has been a UPS driver for 27 years"

USA Today Article

C

chuchu

So you have no problem when home improvement stores double their generator prices during extended power outages?
Did they have to hire extra sales and stock personnel to implement the sale period? It's more than that.

The company neglected to hire enough people to cover the extra volume. I can attest to that in our center and local.

Most every driver here ran out of DOT hours weekly.

UPSGUY72

Since the retailers will not fix UPS's problem, then maybe UPS should be proactive in fixing it.

They can start by hiring (promoting) more people instead of dissolving jobs after someone retires and stop using PT cover drivers and hire ( promote ) more PT to FT cover drivers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe they should hire more people instead of dissolving jobs after someone retires and stop using PT cover driver and hire more FT cover drivers.
Maybe that is a good solution.
We'll see after the contract is ratified.

Are you saying that P/T cover drivers are not as productive as a friend/T cover driver?