Flat tires on route

dezguy

It's been a while for me, thank God. What are the vehicle out of service and return to service codes then?
24 is vehicle out of service, 26 is vehicle return to service. 25 is change vehicle, as previously stated.

Edit: D'oh, should have read the whole thread before posting. lol

bacha29

If I had a dime for every Amish sheet metal screw and every Amish horse shoe nail I put through tires I could own my own tire plant today.

rod

Retired 22 years
If I had a dime for every Amish sheet metal screw and every Amish horse shoe nail I put through tires I could own my own tire plant today.

I heard a comedian say if he had a dollar for every gal who told him he wasn't good looking enough to go out with ------he would be.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
time to replace tires. once tires get to the point where gravel is causing these problems, the tire might make an ok spare. My experience is that even at 5/32, driving on gravel becomes a "roll of the dice".

I gots no space for a spare tire in my wittle 400 cubic ft boxvan. And usually other models will have it dangling underneath to save cargo space...

5/32" is too soon to replace a tire, i ususally tell the contractor' 's mechanic that i ned to shift it to the back . Tthe rears will be 2/32" by that time.

This route im running is harsh on tires. I get 2 front ones every 2.5~3 months!

Maybe its time for some Kevlar belted tires or more economical to use some of that tire slime on the inside?

I pucker up when im going down rough roads, and thats about 40% of my route. I can squeeze coal into diamonds by now# sarcasm.

But, yea, i kick my tires 3 times during the day to make sure they're holding air. 3 of the last flats i can notice a change of steering response and ill know...(this is a 2004 with no TPMS)

OrioN

Some days, I miss my boxtruck...

But not having a rollup garage door is saving my shoulder

So I'm in a transit nowadays & I routinely do a more thorough pre-trip

DSC_0056.JPG

It held air, that's why I missed it on Saturday post-trip...

DSC_0057.JPG

It's a rental, mind u... the more appropriate repair is to dismount the tire from da rim, plug/patch from the inside, remount & rebalance da whole tire~rim assembly, then torque the wheel lugs to specs. This steel rim takes a whopping 148 ft lbs for a 5 lug setup!

DSC_0058.JPG

Easy & simple fix... off to go check up on my tenants ( renting a home because I'm not getting rich working at home delivery)

dmac1

Im in HD, if the wheels aren't rolling, im not making money. That's why im proactive and have a bunch of stuff in my truck
If you aren't making money when you are down, your contractor is breaking the law. You need to earn at least minimum wage every hour, and unless you are getting paid for repairing tires, you are a perfect example of why the so-called 'contractor' model is a scam. If you are getting paid by delivery, yet need to perform extra duties to make those deliveries, you are getting ripped off.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Some days, I miss my boxtruck...

But not having a rollup garage door is saving my shoulder

So I'm in a transit nowadays & I routinely do a more thorough pre-trip

View attachment 128493

It held air, that's why I missed it on Saturday post-trip...

View attachment 128494

It's a rental, mind u... the more appropriate repair is to dismount the tire from da rim, plug/patch from the inside, remount & rebalance da whole tire~rim assembly, then torque the wheel lugs to specs. This steel rim takes a whopping 148 ft lbs for a 5 lug setup!

View attachment 128495

Easy & simple fix... off to go check up on my tenants ( renting a home because I'm not getting rich working at home delivery)
My understanding is that it's illegal to plug a tire on a commercial vehicle, and tire shops won't even do them on private vehicles because they actually damage tire structure.

It will be fine

My understanding is that it's illegal to plug a tire on a commercial vehicle, and tire shops won't even do them on private vehicles because they actually damage tire structure.
You can do it properly if you take the tire off the rim and use a proper rubber stem from the inside. That keeps the integrity of the tire. You're not supposed to put it back on as a front tire though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is untrue------I have had several tires on my son's car plugged.

They will not plug a leak if it is on the sidewall of the tire as that does affect the integrity of the tire.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You can do it properly if you take the tire off the rim and use a proper rubber stem from the inside. That keeps the integrity of the tire. You're not supposed to put it back on as a front tire though.
If you're gonna take it off the rim, why settle for an inferior repair job? A patch is highly superior, and safer.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
This is untrue------I have had several tires on my son's car plugged.

They will not plug a leak if it is on the sidewall of the tire as that does affect the integrity of the tire.
Sorry, I was speaking about trade practices here in Texas, where we deal with integrity, not New Yawk, where any buck goes.

OrioN

If you're gonna take it off the rim, why settle for an inferior repair job? A patch is highly superior, and safer.

As I described on my earlier post, it's is better to do it that route, but will cost more Time & $$$.

It's a rental... this was the full size spare, so I put it back under the spare tires holder since no more Jack Frost.

There are plug/patch combos which are the best of both worlds.

Plugin this made-in-Korea hankook tire was the quickest and easiest way for now. I hope to have a real vehicle soon but not holding my breath or this'll happen:

download.jpg

OrioN

why are you fixing rental truck tires?
Oh this is my regular vehicle until I can get a real one down the road... I logged almost 10,000 miles on it.

The last flat I got, some repair shop did the same thing, but charged $20 to the rental place as if they did a full proper repair, LoL.

So instead of going to the shop to waste my time, I already had the tools on board.

No way am I gonna sit around to wait for AAA while on the job

overflowed

Why not? Still can't believe you bother with this stuff. You really seem like a good dude. You at the very least should jump to express. They would absolutely love you. You'll get paid to sit there and not fix your contractors problems. With your work ethic I guarantee any workplace would be frothing at the mouth to take you.

OrioN

Oh, I did before the sprinter changeover of your fleet. Didn't get a call back, LoL.

They had higher standards back then I guess & they didn't know I'm not the typical dumb truck driver...

giphy.gif

I've been getting those stupid yellow complimentary certificates, but they didn't attach my $100 BZ bonus to them... off to the recycling bin!

Last edited:

overflowed

Reapply, they screw up often if you didn't notice. They will hire you immediately if you talk the way you type. When I left , I couldn't believe the difference in the people being hired.