Flavor of the Month--Pickup Compliance

Re-Raise

So PU compliance is to address better service, but your OMS can change the PU time in your board to suit your route without talking to the customer. Seems to be a bit of a disconnect.

My point exactly. I have a large shipper in one of my towns that I leave around noon every day. They occasionally get next day air packages so I said put them in at 11:45 a.m.. I have an agreement with them that I will give them as much time every day as I can before I must pick them up and leave town.

They would much rather I pick them up as late as possible every day than hit some 15 minute window they know nothing about.

All of my pick-ups are on area but the time commit still applies to my route. None of my pick-ups could care less about the 15 minute window.
Sometimes I have 1 stop that might cost me 15 minutes.

If my route were complete and I started my pick-ups at the same time every day it might make sense.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My point exactly. I have a large shipper in one of my towns that I leave around noon every day. They occasionally get next day air packages so I said put them in at 11:45 a.m.. I have an agreement with them that I will give them as much time every day as I can before I must pick them up and leave town.

They would much rather I pick them up as late as possible every day than hit some 15 minute window they know nothing about.

All of my pick-ups are on area but the time commit still applies to my route. None of my pick-ups could care less about the 15 minute window.
Sometimes I have 1 stop that might cost me 15 minutes.

If my route were complete and I started my pick-ups at the same time every day it might make sense.
This is what customer service is about. Drivers taking care of the customer.

So PU compliance is to address better service, but your OMS can change the PU time in your board to suit your route without talking to the customer. Seems to be a bit of a disconnect.
That's because the +/- 15 minute window has nothing to do with customer service now. The original concept was to establish a routine so the shipper would know when we were coming and could be ready for an expedited PU. However just like many things at UPS the original intent is forgotten for the sake of numbers and will not take into account for variations.

This is what customer service is about. Drivers taking care of the customer.
You are so right Dilli. This is part of my attitude problem. For years I took pride in a job well done, taking care of the customer. I felt good at the end of the day in spite of the fatigue because I had gotten everything delivered, everything picked pu, and made people happy. That's what I worked for, now I have to work to play the numbers game. There's not as much satisfaction derived for my efforts. Just a pay check.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are so right Dilli. This is part of my attitude problem. For years I took pride in a job well done, taking care of the customer. I felt good at the end of the day in spite of the fatigue because I had gotten everything delivered, everything picked pu, and made people happy. That's what I worked for, now I have to work to play the numbers game. There's not as much satisfaction derived for my efforts. Just a pay check.
I agree with you! I try not to let their numbers take away from my sense of satisfaction of taking care of the customer. There are days when this is difficult at best.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just by the hard time they are having getting drivers to comply with this should send a message. It doesn't work that easily in reality.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Looks like you are ready for a Management position then! :wink2:

brownrodster

Pickup compliance was all the rage around here for a couple months last year. I never understood all the excuses other drivers had for not making compliance, I just broke route and made my pickups at the scheduled time no matter where I was.

Same here. Old news. Was a flavor of the quarter last year and haven't heard anything since.

With all the changes to the routes nowadays I don't care about compliance and just get there whenever it's most convenient for me to do so.

Looks like you are ready for a Management position then! :wink2:
Sure thing, soon as flying_pig_wt.gif
flying_pig_wt.gif

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The problem we are having here is that they push and pul stops on a daily basis. When the stops get pulled the p/u's get pulled as well. In some cases the p/u's don't get re-assigned. Hence the service failures, and pissed off customers.

The problem we are having here is that they push and pul stops on a daily basis. When the stops get pulled the p/u's get pulled as well. In some cases the p/u's don't get re-assigned. Hence the service failures, and pissed off customers.

Totally agree about not re-assigning p/u's=pissed off customers. As for pushing and pulling stops...been a way of life at Ups as long as I can remember.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Totally agree about not re-assigning p/u's=pissed off customers. As for pushing and pulling stops...been a way of life at Ups as long as I can remember.
Definately but it is even worse now. At least before the push and pulls went (usually) to the same rtes. Now the rtes never look the same on any given day. They are drastically changed everyday.

Big Babooba

A guy is stopped at an intersection when a farm truck comes whipping past him. As the truck takes the corner, a pig comes flying out and lands on the road. The driver of the car puts the pig in his car and takes off after the farm truck. As he's speeding along trying to catch up with the truck, he goes through a speed trapand gets pulled over. The driver explains to the police officer that he's just trying to return the pig. The officer says, "Well, you'll never catch it now, you should just bring the pig to the zoo." The driver agrees, and off he goes.

The next day, the cop is patrolling, and who should he see drive by but the same guy. He still has the pig in the passenger seat, but now the pig is wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap. The police officer pulls the car over, and confronts the driver. "I thought I told you to take that pig to the zoo!"

The man replies, "I did. We had such a great time that I'm taking him to the ball game today."

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was STUP-ified today to find out that, yet again, I did something wrong. This time it was pick up compliance. I was told that I was the "least best" in this area. I tried to explain that if work is added to my route, it throws off the times I do my pick ups. Another thing is, that I will not do the pick up, prerecord it, and then stop complete it in the "proper" time frame, unless I can have the permission to do so, in writing.

I was informed that my pick ups will be fixed, so that I can get them on time. This I have to see, LOL. I love my job!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was STUP-ified today to find out that, yet again, I did something wrong. This time it was pick up compliance. I was told that I was the "least best" in this area....

Whenever I am told that I am "least best" at some trivial statistic, I just look right at my sup, smile, and say...."I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone who gives a damn. Thanks for sharing, though!"

They dont like that very much.

Whenever I am told that I am "least best" at some trivial statistic, I just look right at my sup, smile, and say...."I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone who gives a damn. Thanks for sharing, though!"

They dont like that very much.

Heard that phrase once before from a guy but, I can't remember where he worked. Might have been either the steel or car industry.