Flavor of the Month--Pickup Compliance

You right Slack. I was once told I was the worst driver in the center.LOL
I looked very sternly into the SUPs eyes and snarled " Don't you mean. LEAST BEST?". For some reason the humor escaped him, some people just don't know what's funny.

slantnosechevy

Pickup compliance is just another futile effort by I.E. to get a handle on things so they can manage a Center from afar. While I agree most drivers should be able to do this because it's the one thing in our work day that we really have control over. The one problem they can't fix is ground delivery times for businesses. It doesn't do a shipper any favors by bouncing business stops to other routes already heavy with business. Yes, they get their pkgs. picked up at the same time but we're not giving them enough time for turn around. Delivering at 14:00 and picking up at 15:00 isn't fair to the customers. It's becoming a big problem for UPS because the driver supes we have now can't coordinate pickup sequence due to geograghical area and adjust for closing times. You still need area knowledge and I.E. doesn't think so.

tourists24

I also don't understand the excuses for not making the 15min rule. I started driving in '72 and drivers would break off their areas, make their pickups and go back for deliveries (hardly anyone was done after p/u's)
because I refuse to run my route in a stupid manner just so a report can look good.... I run the route in a manner that makes the most sense. Now if they start threatening me with discipline for not making their numbers, then I simply turn my brain off and run on robot mode. When that happens then it's like Jones says, simply stop what you're doing and make the commit time. Of course that adds to the day and then makes the overallowed look bad which just brings up another bad report.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
because I refuse to run my route in a stupid manner just so a report can look good.... I run the route in a manner that makes the most sense. Now if they start threatening me with discipline for not making their numbers, then I simply turn my brain off and run on robot mode. When that happens then it's like Jones says, simply stop what you're doing and make the commit time. Of course that adds to the day and then makes the overallowed look bad which just brings up another bad report.
And of course, running your rural route in the most efficient way will get you on the "percentage in trace" report. It's like playing whack-a-mole with all these reports anymore. The action you take to get off one just puts you on another.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And of course, running your rural route in the most efficient way will get you on the "percentage in trace" report. It's like playing whack-a-mole with all these reports anymore. The action you take to get off one just puts you on another.

Its called "institutionalized dissatisfaction." Under no cirumstances should the employee ever feel like he can meet his superiors expectations. No matter how well we perform our duties, it will never be good enough. Any action we take to correct one contrived problem will simply create some other contrived problem.

It is basically a way for mid-level management to perpetuate their own careers. Since they dont actually do anything, their survival depends upon arbitrarily generating reports, statistics and metrics that they can then be in charge of monitoring and manipulating. These "accomplishments" give them the illusion of some perceived value....while at the same time making life a living hell for the employees who are forced to jump thru an endless series of hoops for no other reason than to make their sup "look good on paper."

The management creed;

"I generate reports, therefore I exist and provide value to the company."

Overpaid Union Thug

That's because the +/- 15 minute window has nothing to do with customer service now. The original concept was to establish a routine so the shipper would know when we were coming and could be ready for an expedited PU. However just like many things at UPS the original intent is forgotten for the sake of numbers and will not take into account for variations.

That sums it all up perfectly! And it doesn't just apply to this pickup compliance crap. I've seen it happening in every aspect of UPS. It's happening on preload, reload, twilight, sunrise, etc. Every job and every scan isn't for the benefit of the customers anymore. It's all a numbers game that has gotten out of control. The suits at the top play it and everyone else is expected to scramble to inflate their numbers. The desire to please customers has been replaced by the desire to boost one's ego.

That's because the +/- 15 minute window has nothing to do with customer service now. The original concept was to establish a routine so the shipper would know when we were coming and could be ready for an expedited PU. However just like many things at UPS the original intent is forgotten for the sake of numbers and will not take into account for variations.

Trip,
Could not be stated better!!!! Thanks

What does refusing to run your route in a stupid manner or running it in a way that makes the most sense have to do with starting your pickups on time. Wherever you are, at a certain time you have to break off (if not done) and start your p/u's. It happens all the time.

tourists24

What does refusing to run your route in a stupid manner or running it in a way that makes the most sense have to do with starting your pickups on time. Wherever you are, at a certain time you have to break off (if not done) and start your p/u's. It happens all the time.
ummm... do you work for UPS?.... this isnt about p/u times... this is about looking good on reports.... when you break up routes you change the time you can get to you pickups if you run the route the way it makes sense...

Sure you can break off, then you are running all over the place and yes that makes no sense if you are adding 50 miles to your run

slantnosechevy

ummm... do you work for UPS?.... this isnt about p/u times... this is about looking good on reports.... when you break up routes you change the time you can get to you pickups if you run the route the way it makes sense...

Sure you can break off, then you are running all over the place and yes that makes no sense if you are adding 50 miles to your run

Eventually you'll work as directed. The "mother ship" wants it that way.