flavor of the month

Nolimitz

I wish I could make this stuff up..... anyway

This am was informed that all full time employees must take a 60 min break regardless of how long you are on the clock. :knockedout:
Not you must abide by DOT regs regarding breaks. I pointedly asked "if I work only 4 hours I still must take 60 mins?

response: yep w/ a shoulder shrug!:robot:

How does one do that and still follow company policy of no brk in first 60 mins or last 60 mins and still make P1 service..?

Is this just another way to push folks out the door?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This am was informed that all full time employees must take a 60 min break regardless of how long you are on the clock. :knockedout:
Not you must abide by DOT regs regarding breaks. I pointedly asked "if I work only 4 hours I still must take 60 mins?

How does one do that and still follow company policy of no brk in first 60 mins or last 60 mins and still make P1 service..?

​HMMMM ... if you are friend/T, how do you only work 4 hours?

SmithBarney

Well we are also told to take our break in the "scheduled" time frame (varies from rte to rte)
I have 4 main commit times 10:30 12:00 3:00 4:30 and I'm busy during all of them, I usually take my break back at the station
which stinks because we have no real break room, just a couple chairs
(so sometimes I take a break at the Cracker-barrel down the street, the rockers are nice I can't afford to eat there so I sit and rock with the homeless vets)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh they're on this hour break kick.....again.

Many routes can't make service or pickup times if they take a full hour, yet FedEx shamelessly piles on more work.

Anyway, does the DOT really give a rat's ass how long of a break we get?

whenIgetthere

Sounds like my last station four years ago, I got OLCC'd for not taking an hour break on a day I worked five hours! I transferred out of there not long after that started, don't know if they still have to do that.

ManInBrown

:rofl:

One hour break no matter if you go over 8 or not :crazy: The BS never ends. I really feel bad for you guys and gals. Now I get to just come over to this part of the forum for *****s and giggles. Oh yeah. I almost forgot.

FU Fred:happy-very:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Yes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well we are also told to take our break in the "scheduled" time frame (varies from rte to rte)
I have 4 main commit times 10:30 12:00 3:00 4:30 and I'm busy during all of them, I usually take my break back at the station
which stinks because we have no real break room, just a couple chairs
(so sometimes I take a break at the Cracker-barrel down the street, the rockers are nice I can't afford to eat there so I sit and rock with the homeless vets)

Here's what they really want you to do. Take your "break" on the PowerPad, but keep on working. That way, Fred gets a free hour and they can fire you any time they want if they decide to do a 2nd grade level investigation. Win-win for Smith. Just another indication that this company is run by clueless morons.

Ricochet1a

Express' whole thing with the 60 minute break no matter what (when they decide to push it), is to try to get Couriers to do their route with 30 minutes LESS on the clock time.

The reasoning goes like this...

Management knows that most wage employees want to be off by a certain time - wage employees like to think they have a life after all.

If they are required to take a 60 minute break regardless, it 'motivates' the employee to work just a bit faster, in order to be off the clock at the time they were anticipating.

Goes like this: Courier expects to be off the clock by 3:30PM, they are hit with the requirement to take a full 60 minute UNPAID break, Courier knows that this will push them past 3:30PM to get off the clock if they run at their 'regular' pace, so Courier 'instantly' becomes more productive during the time they ARE on the clock - so they can make their 3:30PM anticipated clock out time.

This is the line of thought. By forcing more and more unpaid time during the day, the goal of Express is to make Couriers more productive during the time they are on the clock - so Express saves some money....

This 'requirement' only occurs when volumes are 'light' - when volumes are heavy, the requirement magically disappears. Since summer is the traditional 'slow' time in Express, look for mandatory breaks - EVEN IF you still wouldn't put more than 8 hours on the clock.

Rhoderunner

We also got the word about 1 hour breaks. BUT we were told for over 8 only. Still OK to take 30 min if under 8. Why is it different here, who knows !!! :speechless2:

vantexan

We also got the word about 1 hour breaks. BUT we were told for over 8 only. Still OK to take 30 min if under 8. Why is it different here, who knows !!! :speechless2:

Had a mgr at last station tell us if we work 8 hrs or less we only had to take a half hr. At 8 and a minute we had to take a full hr. We tried to tell him the hour lunch was for 8 or more and he got all irritated. And was fired a month after I transferred for 3 warning letters in 12 months doing stupid stuff. The Darwin Awards had a new candidate.

DontThrowPackages

Here's what they really want you to do. Take your "break" on the PowerPad, but keep on working. That way, Fred gets a free hour and they can fire you any time they want if they decide to do a 2nd grade level investigation. Win-win for Smith. Just another indication that this company is run by clueless morons.

True. But just do want they want. If you only work 4 hours then after p1 take that hr break. Don't set your truck up, don't drive to the next stop and prime yourself for the next delivery. Just do want they want. They want you to leave. Don't give them want they want. During your lunch you may even get "Blocked in by another truck and have to wait til your truck is able to pass. That wouldn't have happened if you didnt take that lunch. So they're actually looking to help you earn more money lol. Hey, I went into the Waffle house and when I came back, someone let the air out of one of my tires. Now I'm sitting here waiting on the clock for air. Just take the hour and hopefully there's not an accident on the freeway that causes more pay for you.

Myort

Express' whole thing with the 60 minute break no matter what (when they decide to push it), is to try to get Couriers to do their route with 30 minutes LESS on the clock time.

The reasoning goes like this...

Management knows that most wage employees want to be off by a certain time - wage employees like to think they have a life after all.

If they are required to take a 60 minute break regardless, it 'motivates' the employee to work just a bit faster, in order to be off the clock at the time they were anticipating.

Goes like this: Courier expects to be off the clock by 3:30PM, they are hit with the requirement to take a full 60 minute UNPAID break, Courier knows that this will push them past 3:30PM to get off the clock if they run at their 'regular' pace, so Courier 'instantly' becomes more productive during the time they ARE on the clock - so they can make their 3:30PM anticipated clock out time.

This is the line of thought. By forcing more and more unpaid time during the day, the goal of Express is to make Couriers more productive during the time they are on the clock - so Express saves some money....

This 'requirement' only occurs when volumes are 'light' - when volumes are heavy, the requirement magically disappears. Since summer is the traditional 'slow' time in Express, look for mandatory breaks - EVEN IF you still wouldn't put more than 8 hours on the clock.

That is pretty much the logic they use. However, I feel that people that don't dog it normally actually end up going slower, because of service requirements. If someone finishes around 3 normally with a 30 minute break, they will likely be forced to "break off" and run pure SO at a certain point. All of the backtracking will take longer than 30 minutes normally.