Fleet mechanic daily life?

CatDumpThis

I am from the Grand Rapids Mi area and UPS is hiring for full time Fleet mechanics and part time automotive mechanics. What's the difference between the two jobs? I am interested in the fleet mechanic posting as I currently am a State of Michigan master certified tech with 10 years diesel truck and equipment tech. What would a minor repairs day to major repairs day consist of. Do they rebuilt engines, transmissions or rear ends?

dragracer66

fleet mechanic=40-50 trucks. part time mechanic= write-ups and what ever else the fleet mechanic has no time for. depends on the location most building don't rebuild trannies or engines.

CatDumpThis

fleet mechanic=40-50 trucks. part time mechanic= write-ups and what ever else the fleet mechanic has no time for. depends on the location most building don't rebuild trannies or engines.
So the fleet mechanic repairs / replaces all faults in 40-50 trucks and delivery truck? Do you get assistance from Supervisors or lead mechanics and who trains you when you start?

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So the fleet mechanic repairs / replaces all faults in 40-50 trucks and delivery truck? Do you get assistance from Supervisors or lead mechanics and who trains you when you start?
Training
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1461118775.294261.jpg

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Around here (mostly hubs in my area): mechanics bid on days or nights by seniority. The majority of the shifts are nights, to service the step-vans (& minor repairs to the tractor-trailers to get them on the road). The day shift primarily services the tractor-trailer fleet and does some road service for the step-vans. Don't know if you're applying to a large hub or a smaller center, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
40-60+ trucks in some instances. Do important write ups if no road calls, do some scheduled repairs/maintenance/inspections, do easy write ups, go home. Rinse and repeat. There's company training but most of it tends to be just a response to some lawsuit they've had. If you're not sure on something you turn to you're fellow Mechanics, if you're the only mechanic and can't figure something out you can usually call and ask a mechanic at another center if you're really stumped or dig through the online resources that are available.

Johney

Around here (mostly hubs in my area): mechanics bid on days or nights by seniority. The majority of the shifts are nights, to service the step-vans (& minor repairs to the tractor-trailers to get them on the road). The day shift primarily services the tractor-trailer fleet and does some road service for the step-vans. Don't know if you're applying to a large hub or a smaller center, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Come on man.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
You need to already have your chops before UPS will hire you as a mechanic. Most of the training you get will be about stuff you don't care about. You sound qualified enough.

CatDumpThis

I have drove by the UPS service center in Grand Rapids and I would say the building has 16-20 bay doors . So is that a large service center or not?

CatDumpThis

So do the mechanic do any mounting? HAHA. I mean mounting / dismounting tires on wheels or is that subbed out? Thats one thing I have never done but have watched it done with machines

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
So do the mechanic do any mounting? HAHA. I mean mounting / dismounting tires on wheels or is that subbed out? Thats one thing I have never done but have watched it done with machines
We don't here, they are for the most part recaps and all we do is pull the old wheel and Tire off then replace it with a "new" wheel and most likely recapped tire.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I think UPS had too many injuries with tires and rims in the past so all the tires come mounted on the rims from the tire store.

It used to be if you could change clutches and springs you were perfect for the job. Now not as much bull work but things are getting more advanced with on board computers and 90s technologies making its way to UPS.

Gear

Parts on Order
First off its a good job with excellent pay, benefits and pension. You could be a Teamster or IAM. IAM's pension is 101% funded. 11$ an hour goes in your pension. You will retire.

We repair/replace everything on the truck. We do not rebuild any components or replace windshields. Glass company does windshield, major components are ordered and delivered. You are responsible for your fleet. Its easier then what you are doing. I see my boss every couple of weeks, most communication is done through emails and phone calls.

Now for the annoying things. You are a mastertech with 10 years, I was a mastertech with 12 years. We are the same. Here we go.

Your mastertech certification will help you get the job, but once you start, it means nothing. Its a progression pay raise. You will start at the bottom, which is like 21$ an hour. We have a 2 year progression, top rate is 34.$$ Skill and level of experience is based on how long you have been there. So a guy who was hired out of tech school and started a year before you is a better mechanic. Plus he is payed more since he started before you (remember the progression pay). Its seniority based. Your shop may just be a small space in the building that everyone uses. Every building is different. Do not expect to have a bay space, hopefully you will. No one will respect your toolbox. People will pile garbage on it, run carts into it, basically a toolbox is just a table to people. That being said, a small crappy toolbox is the way to go. I have a 3 bay toolbox, its WAY to big. There is no real training, more then likely you will fall behind in the ever changing heavy diesel industry. We have trucks from the mid 90s up to 07 DPF systems. We do not have any with DEF/SCR. Every building is different.

Basically we do not run like a normal shop. It will not be like what you have been doing for the last 10 years. It was difficult for me to let go of the 12 years I had before this job. My 1st year adjustment was extremely difficult, I felt like quitting everyday. But like I said, the top rate pay, benefits and pension are excellent.