Fleet mechanic daily life?

Let somebody put something on a box in my shop. That crap would go over like a lead balloon.

I've been with UPS for 2 years and it's been a cake walk. I've got everything from 99 models to brand new CNGs. Just show up, keep them running and safe and cash the checks. Best job ever.
How are those cngs running? We have LNGs in our feeder fleets I personally like them. No CNGs at our center yet

mook8809

I must be doing this wrong. I have been a mechanic with ups for 3 years. I work at an extended center with 47 units in my fleet and I run around working like I'm one of the loaders or something just to stay on top of things. it used to be a 2 man center but I guess one got fired long before I started and never replaced. I don't complain much because I get a steady 48-50 hour week.

mook8809

Iam does seem like a better option for the mechanic side of things over teamsters due to teamsters grouping all employees under the same basic contract negotiations... like the 4 year progression in my opinion really ran off a lot of potentially good mechanics due to it starting so low and taking so long.

I must be doing this wrong. I have been a mechanic with ups for 3 years. I work at an extended center with 47 units in my fleet and I run around working like I'm one of the loaders or something just to stay on top of things. it used to be a 2 man center but I guess one got fired long before I started and never replaced. I don't complain much because I get a steady 48-50 hour week.
Yikes 47 units is high man. All pkg cars or like mixture of tp60s and such? Maybe you should request help but like you said your ot would go out the window then.

Iam does seem like a better option for the mechanic side of things over teamsters due to teamsters grouping all employees under the same basic contract negotiations... like the 4 year progression in my opinion really ran off a lot of potentially good mechanics due to it starting so low and taking so long.
4 year progression does suck but less than a year to go now we are almost there man lol.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yikes 47 units is high man. All pkg cars or like mixture of tp60s and such? Maybe you should request help but like you said your ot would go out the window then.
Most likely they will put it to their magic formula and decline to hire anybody full time to help with the work load. I only just recently got reduced from about 50 down to 38 after about 12 years.

dragracer66

Sometimes when there is too much to deal with within OT restrictions. I try to do them myself when possible because the OSS guys suck.
what the heck is overtime restrictions? at my location there is no outside service if they cut overtime. but rarely do they ever cut overtime. that's a violation if they say to you no (or watch)overtime and then want to send work out.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
what the heck is overtime restrictions? at my location there is no outside service if they cut overtime. but rarely do they ever cut overtime. that's a violation if they say to you no (or watch)overtime and then want to send work out.
Every year it's the same. No more than 10 hours (preferred) during peak, no OT at all unless you get approval or notify mgt after peak.

Last edited: