FLIRTING

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I'm not sure what "that age" is, when you "have" to flirt.

I'm 25 and completely unattached. There are people who would engineer something to change that. Enough have made noises about doing so that sooner or later someone will do something. Depending on who does it and how, it might be nice. There are a couple people where its, "Ohh, ****. Where's the door??"

When the talk gets aggressive and suggestive, it's no longer flirting but is "hitting on" the other person. IMO, that's usually over the line.

Agreed. Some people I know don't seem to have a problem with 'hitting on' people, though. I rarely take it far without an explicit invitation as 'the line' has this really bad habit of changing on me on the spur of the moment. I've been caught on the wrong side of that line too many times and the correction, while not physical, certainly wasn't pleasent. -Rocky

Well over the line is, talking hmmm about those parts. Otherwise, I think its all about who your flirting with and how well you know each other.
That's the way I see it too. Telling someone they have pretty eyes, or their new hair style is nice, or they are wearing a nice outfit is flirting, when you say...WOW, what a great badonkadonk you've gone too far.
There was a lady that I delivered to on a regular bases that was absolutely gorgeous, maybe the prettiest woman I have even seen face to face. After about three years of delivering to her 3-5 times per week I felt I knew her fairly well. One day as she was writing out a COD check, I just opened my mouth and told her that I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. It shocked me that I said it, I had no intentions of hitting on her and was not, she seemed to be honestly flattered. Of course I stuttered and stammered trying to convince her I sis not have ulterior motives for the statement. She blushingly smiled and said that was one of the nicest compliments she had ever received. She knew I was honest in my intentions and took the statement as it was intended. But it could have gone bad so easily. We are still friendly today, when I get out to her part of the country.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
There was a lady that I delivered to on a regular bases that was absolutely gorgeous, maybe the prettiest woman I have even seen face to face.

When I was helping off a car in Denver a couple years ago, my driver gave me a box for one business while he took another. I went in and saw two beautiful women. The younger one couldn't have been much older than me. I got a sig from her and she started up a conversation. I chatted with her for a couple minutes before realizing I'd better get going before my driver got curious. I excused myself and almost ran into my driver at the door! Not a happy driver as a 2 minute stop turned into 8 or 9. -Rocky

I'm 25 and completely unattached. There are people who would engineer something to change that. Enough have made noises about doing so that sooner or later someone will do something. Depending on who does it and how, it might be nice. There are a couple people where its, "Ohh, ****. Where's the door??"

Agreed. Some people I know don't seem to have a problem with 'hitting on' people, though. I rarely take it far without an explicit invitation as 'the line' has this really bad habit of changing on me on the spur of the moment. I've been caught on the wrong side of that line too many times and the correction, while not physical, certainly wasn't pleasent. -Rocky
Hitting on someone is perfectly acceptable within limits and given parameters. I don't much like the idea of married people doing that, people get hurt that way.
I'm a firm believer that a man and a woman can be close platonic friends, in fact I have several female friends that men find desirable and attractive and we are just friends. As long as everyone keeps the same perspective in the relationship, there is no harm no foul. If the situation begins to change for either party, this needs to be addressed ASAP to avoid a good thing going bad.

oh yeah, those 5 plus minute conversations can get ya in deep trouble. LOL

A

anonymous6

It happened to me today while at the grocery store. It hasn't happened in so long to me that it took the women three tries to get my attention.

She purposely got in my way each time and then with a great big smile said "sorry"

After she did it the third time i finally caught on and started laughing. She stood there , I think waiting for me to start a conversation but i just walked away.

It did make my day and made me feel 20 years younger.

P

pickup

Let's expand this a bit. What do you consider "over the line", in what ways do you flirt, is simply being friendly flirting?

Sometimes you only know where the line is when you are on the wrong side of it Remember the customer can always drop a dime and complain. This thread is starting to bring up the issues that were brought up in another thread in which the original poster (driver) mentioned that a customer was a little bit aggressive in her flirting and he didn't know how to handle the situation the correct way.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
If the situation begins to change for either party, this needs to be addressed ASAP to avoid a good thing going bad.

I agree! I made the mistake of not voicing some issues with a wonderful young woman about 6 months ago. I was 'crushing' and didn't take it real well when she brought up other guys. She knew something wasn't right but didn't know what til I flipped out and severed the connection. Now, I have a former co-worker I was keeping in touch with back up north that hasn't taken my calls in almost three weeks. I'll call her tomorrow and if still no connection, I'll e-mail her, update her on what I've been up to and see if I did something. She told me she wasn't interested in more than friends quite a while ago and I was OK with that, particularly given the above and some other past experiences. I have to wonder, though, why she suddenly went from being all chatty and such to not taking my calls. Ahhh, well....

oh yeah, those 5 plus minute conversations can get ya in deep trouble. LOL

LOL. As evidenced by the fact that he handed me off to somebody else the next day :sick:. He told me he had a very manageable load for the day and just didn't need the help. I helped another driver, who'd called me the day before five minutes after my driver called to see if I could help him out. He was a calm, even-tempered, happy, jolly UPS driver. I told him I couldn't help him and epithets flew as he was floor to ceiling, wall-to-wall bricked out. The day after, my original driver was creamed and asked for my help again. No harm, no foul.

Sometimes you only know where the line is when you are on the wrong side of it.

Truth! As far as a customer calling in a complaint, I never flirted with my customers as a helper OR in retail. I thought it unprofessional. My one driver in Denver told me that the helper he had before me would lean out the door and make cat-calls at the co-eds! He was very grateful I'd sit there with my mouth shut and my eyes on the environment. -Rocky

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
That is the one thing I miss about package car driving. In feeder there is no one to flirt with. Even doing CPU, all I see all day is other feeder drivers, all men, or Central/South Americans working in the warehouses I pick up from, again mostly men. If they are women they don't speak English.

So, I think it is harmless to flirt, unless my wife reads this, than I have never flirted and I think it is wrong. Also, who the heck posted this using my account?

Come on, you don't flirt with all the dock workers, Mostly greasy men with mullets........lolol

jimstud

Banned
for all you boston fans, that there avatar is a picture of Mookie Wilson running the basepaths while Bill Buckner seems to be having a hard time with a ground ball, probably happened in a meaningless exhibition game, so no harm. just kind of thinking out loud how many titles have the mets won since then

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I think it's good for self esteem. Depending on the person and their intentions, as long as it stays within proper boundaries, what's wrong
with handing out or receiving a harmless compliment?

But if an old flame were to come charging up to you and climb all over you, perhaps not. Especially if you've acquired a spouse...
LMAO:funny:

That is the one thing I miss about package car driving. In feeder there is no one to flirt with. Even doing CPU, all I see all day is other feeder drivers, all men, or Central/South Americans working in the warehouses I pick up from, again mostly men. If they are women they don't speak English.

So, I think it is harmless to flirt, unless my wife reads this, than I have never flirted and I think it is wrong. Also, who the heck posted this using my account?
Again, LMAO:funny:

I don't know one single truck driver that does not like spring and summer!:surprised:
Ohh, got to love the summer time views!:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First of all, I love to flirt. I agree with Tooner, heaven forbid it is ever outlawed, I would be an outlaw.

Second, there are some very good posts.

Trpl, I think there is a big difference between 'flirting' and 'hitting on' someone. The intention of one is not the same as the intention of the other. And as far as married or attached couples flirting, that is all dependant upon the relationship they have. I have an extremely good relationship, and that allows me to be who I am in complete safety. I agree with you about men and women being close friends. Unfortunately there will always be a stigma in our society about it. I have very close male friends and I value them just as much as I do my women friends. In some cases even more so.

Jennie, it absolutely does matter as to how well you know the other person. At work I don't flirt with just anyone. And the ones that I do flirt with I know well enough to feel comfortable in doing so. With many of them, it has taken months and months of delivering to them or even working with them to feel safe with them.

As far as what's over the line and what is not, that is subjective. It would be impossible to define either because people have their own individual emotions and personalities. No two will ever be exactly the same. I am the touchy/feely type, but I am constantly counseling myself to not do that because some would consider it an invasion of their personal space and would be offended.

rod

Retired 22 years
First of all, I love to flirt. I agree with Tooner, heaven forbid it is ever outlawed, I would be an outlaw.

Trpl, I think there is a big difference between 'flirting' and 'hitting on' someone. The intention of one is not the same as the intention of the other. And as far as married or attached couples flirting, that is all dependant upon the relationship they have. I have an extremely good relationship, and that allows me to be who I am in complete safety. I agree with you about men and women being close friends. Unfortunately there will always be a stigma in our society about it. I have very close male friends and I value them just as much as I do my women friends. In some cases even more so.

Jennie, it absolutely does matter as to how well you know the other person. At work I don't flirt with just anyone. And the ones that I do flirt with I know well enough to feel comfortable in doing so. With many of them, it has taken months and months of delivering to them or even working with them to feel safe with them.

As far as what's over the line and what is not, that is subjective. It would be impossible to define either because people have their own individual emotions and personalities. No two will ever be exactly the same. I am the touchy/feely type, but I am constantly counseling myself to not do that because some would consider it an invasion of their personal space and would be offended.

Is that like "honk honk" touchy/feely?:surprised:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I don't know one single truck driver that does not like spring and summer!:surprised:

I almost feel bad for the package car drivers with routes in college towns or in college parts of town :happy-very:. A driver I know conveniently takes his lunch where he can watch the beauties. -Rocky

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I almost feel bad for the package car drivers with routes in college towns or in college parts of town :happy-very:. A driver I know conveniently takes his lunch where he can watch the beauties. -Rocky
It's a good thing you said 'almost' or I would have called BS on that. I would have said you were jealous that it wasn't you. It's a good thing that I don't have to do that. LOL:peaceful:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I would have said you were jealous that it wasn't you.

I've heard guys called chauvinistic pigs for doing such things. I used to work in higher education, so I know how those drivers feel. They can watch and even touch. I can't! So, yes, I guess I am a little jealous lol :smart:. -Rocky

<snip>
I agree with all you said, the whole acceptance of flirting is indeed subjective and can change with each individual.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think it's good for self esteem. Depending on the person and their intentions, as long as it stays within proper boundaries, what's wrong
with handing out or receiving a harmless compliment?

But if an old flame were to come charging up to you and climb all over you, perhaps not. Especially if you've acquired a spouse...
Don't think my spouse would like me phrasing it, quite that way.

Busted!

so nicely put, is telling someone they look good or smell good flirting?
JMHO, but I don't think it is. I tell people that, all the time.

That's the way I see it too. Telling someone they have pretty eyes, or their new hair style is nice, or they are wearing a nice outfit is flirting, when you say...WOW, what a great badonkadonk you've gone too far.
There was a lady that I delivered to on a regular bases that was absolutely gorgeous, maybe the prettiest woman I have even seen face to face. After about three years of delivering to her 3-5 times per week I felt I knew her fairly well. One day as she was writing out a COD check, I just opened my mouth and told her that I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. It shocked me that I said it, I had no intentions of hitting on her and was not, she seemed to be honestly flattered. Of course I stuttered and stammered trying to convince her I sis not have ulterior motives for the statement. She blushingly smiled and said that was one of the nicest compliments she had ever received. She knew I was honest in my intentions and took the statement as it was intended. But it could have gone bad so easily. We are still friendly today, when I get out to her part of the country.
I'm a workout freak, so I tell people, without it being weird, that I notice their badonks and other attributes, all the time.

PLEASE dont ever outlaw it. I would surely die.
AMEN!

It happened to me today while at the grocery store. It hasn't happened in so long to me that it took the women three tries to get my attention.

She purposely got in my way each time and then with a great big smile said "sorry"

After she did it the third time i finally caught on and started laughing. She stood there , I think waiting for me to start a conversation but i just walked away.

It did make my day and made me feel 20 years younger.
:surprised:

Well said!