FMLA

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I just found out Monday afternoon that we have to call an automated system the day before taking an FMLA day. Has anyone else heard this?

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I just found out Monday afternoon that we have to call an automated system the day before taking an FMLA day. Has anyone else heard this?

It's a pain in the butt. Have a pencil ready to write down your confirmation number, because it's read to you fast with no option to have it repeated. And just like UPS, they mix up the formats for the time and dates to make it more aggravating. They ask for it in one format and read it back to you in another. By "they" I mean the automated machine.

This is someone in your areas idea to try and curb FMLA use. Unfortunately for this dumbas$ they have violated federal law as well as established policies both inside and outside the company.

First and foremost unless EVERY other type of call in is required to do the same, and we know they aren't before we even go any further, then this is a discriminatory practice and a violation of the law. Period.

Two. How does a FMLA recipient know 24 hours in advance of every need for its use? Impossible. FMLA users are only required to follow the very same call in procedures that other call in's use. Period. That is taken directly from UPS paperwork given to each employee when they are approved for FMLA. Even then, if an emergency need arises, one only has to inform the company AS SOON AS KNOWN OR AS POSSIBLE.

If I was in your area I would only follow the same call in procedures as before and DARE them to take disciplinary action. It not only opens the company to numerous complaints but also to lawsuits both against the company but also the individual issuing the discipline as well.

This needs to be cut off at the knees NOW. File a complaint with the DOL, EEOC, Corporate, as well as possibly having the affected FMLA users chip in and having an attorney prepare a cease and desist letter to be sent to corporate on down.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Leave Benefits - FMLA

Prohibited Practices

BlackCat

I have never used the automated system and have no intention of using it. Now if they want to make that my official call in, so be it.

I have never used the automated system and have no intention of using it. Now if they want to make that my official call in, so be it.

Do all other forms of call in use it? No. Do you always know 24 hours in advance? No.

Complaints need to be filed in any area with this system.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I never saw anything about 24hrs notice in the paperwork I received. I called with about 4 hours notice on Monday.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
This is someone in your areas idea to try and curb FMLA use. Unfortunately for this dumbas$ they have violated federal law as well as established policies both inside and outside the company.

First and foremost unless EVERY other type of call in is required to do the same, and we know they aren't before we even go any further, then this is a discriminatory practice and a violation of the law. Period.

Two. How does a FMLA recipient know 24 hours in advance of every need for its use? Impossible. FMLA users are only required to follow the very same call in procedures that other call in's use. Period. That is taken directly from UPS paperwork given to each employee when they are approved for FMLA. Even then, if an emergency need arises, one only has to inform the company AS SOON AS KNOWN OR AS POSSIBLE.

If I was in your area I would only follow the same call in procedures as before and DARE them to take disciplinary action. It not only opens the company to numerous complaints but also to lawsuits both against the company but also the individual issuing the discipline as well.

This needs to be cut off at the knees NOW. File a complaint with the DOL, EEOC, Corporate, as well as possibly having the affected FMLA users chip in and having an attorney prepare a cease and desist letter to be sent to corporate on down.

Prohibited Practices

You posted a letter from 2009, the process changed as of April 2, 2012.

Prohibited Practices

You posted a letter from 2009, the process changed as of April 2, 2012.

I posted the letter, which has remained the same every year, to point out the call in paragraph. 09 was simply the first scanned copy I came to.

The policy of notification has remained the same:

"Advance Notification

Employees must submit all FMLA leave requests to the Human Resources Service Center (HRSC) and will be required to complete a Request for Family/Medical Leave form. Employees must provide 30 days advance notice of the need to take FMLA leave when the need is foreseeable. If the leave is unforeseeable, the employee must provide notice as soon as practicable.

Employees must notify UPS of the anticipated timing and duration of the leave. Employees must comply with UPS’s call-in procedures and must clearly inform UPS that the requested absence is for a reason for which FMLA leave was previously taken or certified."

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I think you were given some bad information. You should call the HRSC number as soon as you can to let them know you have used FMLA and you must call when you return. If you do not then the management team will call the HRSC and inform them. How do we know if you called? We get an email from HRSC informing us of your absence/return. Hope this helps. Dragon

I think you were given some bad information. You should call the HRSC number as soon as you can to let them know you have used FMLA and you must call when you return. If you do not then the management team will call the HRSC and inform them. How do we know if you called? We get an email from HRSC informing us of your absence/return. Hope this helps. Dragon

The call when one uses FMLA and the call to return would apply to non-intermittent FMLA. Intermittent FMLA can be used in increments down to the minute. If your employee has to leave an hour early they are to call HRSC? And call again before they come to work the next day? Or would your prefer they inform you as soon as they know directly so you can plan accordingly?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
FMLA was created to give people long periods of time off for special circumstances. If your using is to get a day off here or there your abusing the system.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

There is nothing in the paperwork about calling when you return. Also I believe this new policy is for intermittent leave only.

FMLA was created to give people long periods of time off for special circumstances. If your using is to get a day off here or there your abusing the system.

If you're using it to go fishing, yes. If you're using it to help care for a family member, no. If you have no experience in what you speak then maybe sit back and let us inform you before such a comment is made.

There is nothing in the paperwork about calling when you return. Also I believe this new policy is for intermittent leave only.

Dizz, when did you get this paperwork? I have heard nothing until Dilli pm'd me this morning. Is it something for the more remote centers? Being the large building I work at has it's own HR dept I simply tell my management team of FMLA needs as they occur and they are handled accordingly.
Irregardless this "call this number for FMLA use" as opposed to any other call in is a discriminatory act. If they can handle a sick call they can handle a FMLA call.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I got the first letter last week. I've received two since then that are essentially copies of the first. I'm in a big building also. My wife was diagnosed with lung cancer in July of 2010, three month after she and I quit smoking. She has been under hospice care for the last three months. I'm typing this from my phone in her ICU hospital room. I've taken intermittent FMLA leave the last two years. It has enabled me to take her to all of her appointments, and to stay home to care for her when she was too sick to be home alone. If that is abusing the system, then so be it.

Dislike

What are you like a 24 year old punk or something. I bet I'm not that far off on the age. You seem like you think you are the smartest guy in the room. Good luck