FMLA?

browniehound

Due to a family emergency, I put in a request for FMLA, but they denied me saying I needed medical documentation?

I don't mean to put my personal business out there like that, but I found out my son was being abused by his mother.She slapped my son with so much force,he literally had finger prints embedded in his face.You can even see the print of her press on nails.

The situation left me depressed.I really don't want to go through a custody battle, but that's what I'm going to do.My sons mother denied slapping him in the face, so I'm in the process of hiring I forensic scientist to examine the marks on his face.

This thing is about to get real ugly.

I'm so drained by this situation, it's hard for me to focus on work.I called the FMLA line, but they want documentation to prove that I'm really going through a depression?

Anybody know how to go about getting FMLA for mental health reasons?

Really? You want to take time off from work for this? What would your grandparents think of this? Please read my post about the Great Depression and WWII.

25% unemployment and 50 million dead respectively and you want time off because your wife slapped your kid? Are you joking? Seriously, are you joking?

Really?

UPSGUY72

Due to a family emergency, I put in a request for FMLA, but they denied me saying I needed medical documentation?

I don't mean to put my personal business out there like that, but I found out my son was being abused by his mother.She slapped my son with so much force,he literally had finger prints embedded in his face.You can even see the print of her press on nails.

The situation left me depressed.I really don't want to go through a custody battle, but that's what I'm going to do.My sons mother denied slapping him in the face, so I'm in the process of hiring I forensic scientist to examine the marks on his face.

This thing is about to get real ugly.

I'm so drained by this situation, it's hard for me to focus on work.I called the FMLA line, but they want documentation to prove that I'm really going through a depression?

Anybody know how to go about getting FMLA for mental health reasons?

If AZ in your name stands for Arizona

Why don't you report her to Child Protective Services. The number is 1-888-SOS-CHILD (1-888-767-2445).

AZChris

The reason Im depressed is because of my sons mother.obviously, when I bring some closure to this situation, I wont be depressed anymore.Im not some manic depressant.Its such a drastic life change, u cant help but be affected by it.

thessalonian13

What's really messed up about this is how management is blatantly not giving a flying crap about this employee's problem and helping him find out what he needs to do to make sure his family is safe. Once again management shows how much you and your family mean to them by you having to come to a forum and ask complete strangers on how to proceed while management sits on their hands. Absolutely disgusting how disconnected this new UPS is with their employees.
I agree 100%. I am to the point that I loathe coming into work every day and dealing with our clueless management. I mark off every day like a prisoner waiting for his parole day to come up on my calendar. Only 9.5 years left. LOL

stepitup

Browniehound...a slap to the face of a child that left imprints of the womans nails is more than a slap. It's abuse. No child should suffer abuse....EVER!

browniehound

Browniehound...a slap to the face of a child that left imprints of the womans nails is more than a slap. It's abuse. No child should suffer abuse....EVER!

I agree 100% and then some that no child should ever be abused. If anyone ever laid a hand on my daughter I would do everything within in the law and above the law to bring justice to her assailant. I would not, however, miss work because of it or because I was depressed unless I was in prison for dismembering the person who touched my daughter.

I don't mean to be insensitive here, but come on. Let's kick in reality here. The original poster can't work because he is depressed that a woman abused his kid? Life is hard man. Life is really hard. Its a cruel world and you need to stop crying and get back to work and support your family like a MAN. I'm sorry your child was hit very hard but come on. That is the most weakest reason for anyone to cry that their "depressed".

It appears to me that this event is just an excuse for you not to work. It sounds like everyone today is "depressed". I have to tell you everyone IS depressed. Its called life and its not fair and was never intended to be.

I truly believe you need to get up and ACT LIKE A FRIGGIN MAN and get yourself to work everyday . I get up many days and don't want to live, but my family depends on me so I have to. What makes you so special? I believe its called selfishness and you are completely guilty of it!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Obviously you need to take care of yourself and your son first and foremost.

If FMLA has been denied, that really should not change what you need to do to take care of yourself. Get to a health professional and have them fill out the FMLA paperwork. If you have attendance infractions in the mean time that you get disicplined for, you should be aware that if you get the FMLA approval after seeing a health care professional it is retro-active. Make sure your providor notes that any such days are part of your condition. The discipline is at that point null and void.
This guy has it totally right. And I seriously doubt you are depressed, you are overwhelmed. Not that I know any of the facts, but if he is really being abused, you need the time to deal with it. Go to a psychologist, or your family doctor, get them to write you off for a week to catch up, get it handled. CYA.
It is hard to know how to proceed in this situation. Thats why you are at a standstill. You need a job, but you need the time. Explain it to your doc, make it clear, and get the note, submit it and ask for intermittent also, covering you for sporadic days off. And I wish you the best, if it is what you say, worrying about your job puts the kid in the back seat, and thats not where he needs to be. IMO I would not use the open door policy a they have already proven that wont work for you. Take it in yur own hands and do what needs done.

BrownSuit

The reason Im depressed is because of my sons mother.obviously, when I bring some closure to this situation, I wont be depressed anymore.Im not some manic depressant.Its such a drastic life change, u cant help but be affected by it.

I am going to start with a disclaimer that nobody on this board to my knowledge is a legal professional and that you should seek the help of one at this point.

The FMLA though in my opinion would be best served being as result of your son's medical condition and not your own. If the custody battle turns ugly like you feel it might and you have no real proof, it could become a he-said, she-said situation and your soon to be ex could drag out the fact that you have been depressed and out of work due to the depression, as a result stating that you are unfit to be the primary caretaker of your child.

Listen to the advice of the others and be sure that the suspected abuse is reported to the proper authorities.

For those blasting management, not sure where the OP indicated that "Management" denied the FMLA. He stated that he called the line, which I am interpreting to be the HRSC out of Overland Park, KS that told him he needed documentation. This is an HR issue, there is very little that Management can do to get involved if the docs are not in order other than to be supportive.

Unless he has told his immediate management, chances are they are unaware that the request has even been made as it has not been approved. They definitely should be asking if everything is alright and listening and then referring the OP to the UPS Help Line for any help.

browniehound

I also should have wrote the disclaimer that I don't know the facts and I apologize if what I wrote was harsh, insensitive, or ignorant. When you're behind a computer typing on a keyboard you tend to forget there is a living person with real feelings that you're commenting on. That being said, I'd like to agree with Tooner that you are overwhelmed and not depressed. Depression is a clinical illness with the major symptom you feeling depressed and it must last more than 2 weeks. Maybe you were always clinically depressed and this incident made the symptoms manifest themselves?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I am going to start with a disclaimer that nobody on this board to my knowledge is a legal professional and that you should seek the help of one at this point.

The FMLA though in my opinion would be best served being as result of your son's medical condition and not your own. If the custody battle turns ugly like you feel it might and you have no real proof, it could become a he-said, she-said situation and your soon to be ex could drag out the fact that you have been depressed and out of work due to the depression, as a result stating that you are unfit to be the primary caretaker of your child.

Listen to the advice of the others and be sure that the suspected abuse is reported to the proper authorities.

For those blasting management, not sure where the OP indicated that "Management" denied the FMLA. He stated that he called the line, which I am interpreting to be the HRSC out of Overland Park, KS that told him he needed documentation. This is an HR issue, there is very little that Management can do to get involved if the docs are not in order other than to be supportive.

Unless he has told his immediate management, chances are they are unaware that the request has even been made as it has not been approved. They definitely should be asking if everything is alright and listening and then referring the OP to the UPS Help Line for any help.

Employee Assistance Program
I believe this is the first time I have seen this mentioned on BC.

We have this available to us as UPS employees.
It is a good program.

I know.
I used it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I also should have wrote the disclaimer that I don't know the facts and I apologize if what I wrote was harsh, insensitive, or ignorant. When you're behind a computer typing on a keyboard you tend to forget there is a living person with real feelings that you're commenting on. .....................................................

This should be posted more often.............................. FAR more often!