Discussion in 'Health and Medical Topics' started by Oldbugs, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Oldbugs

Oldbugs New Member

I'm a part timer with UPS for almost 10 years now, 12 years ago I had oral cancer and had surgery to have a small mass removed and everything was good. Well I just found out yesterday that The cancer has come back (bummer) and I have to have surgery next Wednesday, Feb. 24 to remove another mass. Now my question is, I still have all my vacation time and option days left, do I have to use them for the time off, a week and a half to two weeks or do I use FMLA? I'm not sure how FMLA works I've never had to use it before. I don't really care about getting paid I just don't want to burn up all my vacation an option days for this unless I have to. Thanks
  2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Assuming you worked enough hours last year to qualify...I would apply for intermittent FMLA. You can get up to 6 weeks off unpaid as a qualifying PTer....and take them as needed...whether it's one day or two days in a week....or entire weeks off.

in the meantime for your surgery....I would apply for Short term Disability, but given your current health issues, you may also qualify for FMLA as well.
  3. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, you have to use all but 2 weeks of vacation.