FO question

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Because comparing pkg volumes to the number of labor hours used is something that is done just for fun.
Sounds like something for AI to monitor, making managers redundant in many cases. Most managers I've had experience with are mainly referees, which DOES make them necessary, however.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
No, I mean, when given the freedom from management harassment, people generally are willing to do more work to get the job done.

Back when management was there to HELP us do our jobs better, it was easy to get people to do things, even if they were there. Now that they're just glorified babysitters, the only ones willing to go above and beyond are the brown nosers.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Nope. There have been a few times when all managers have been gone on vacation and things run just fine. Sure the senior might be keeping an eyes on things but, in every station I have worked at, the senior is in a different city and things have never gotten bad enough for him/her to to decide to make the trek to correct any situation.

A manager whose workgroup can't handle the basics in his absence is a bad manager.

There's a big difference between having the components of the operation that you see with your own eyes running well for a few days and having the entire operation working as it should in the long run.

outtatime

They probably already did and got no answer.
Exactly! Especially when the SM forces all the managers into a meeting EVERYDAY for 2 hours (11am-1pm) to go over GAP reports. Trying to get a hold of any manager between those times is impossible. Yes, this really happens.

Thanks for your reply to my question in reply 38. However the time lost delivering that FO package affects the rest of my day. Most rural couriers have to run p1 and e2 dels together always keeping in mind when to break off to finish 1630 commits and pickups. After these dels and pickups are made I have to go back to the same area I was in before off from to finish my e2 dels. Also running these e2 dels at the end of the day in total darkness I'm sure costs me more on road time. Without the FO delivery this backtracking may not have been necessary to start with. By looking at the big picture you can see how one FO stop will affect your whole day and not the amount of time it takes making that one unprofitable del.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks for your reply to my question in reply 38. However the time lost delivering that FO package affects the rest of my day. Most rural couriers have to run p1 and e2 dels together always keeping in mind when to break off to finish 1630 commits and pickups. After these dels and pickups are made I have to go back to the same area I was in before off from to finish my e2 dels. Also running these e2 dels at the end of the day in total darkness I'm sure costs me more on road time. Without the FO delivery this backtracking may not have been necessary to start with. By looking at the big picture you can see how one FO stop will affect your whole day and not the amount of time it takes making that one unprofitable del.

Your route sounds like mine except for the FO part. And I do have a few 10:30 commits.

dex 84

A manager whose workgroup can't handle the basics in his absence is a bad manager.

There's a big difference between having the components of the operation that you see with your own eyes running well for a few days and having the entire operation working as it should in the long run.

You can't necessarily blame or give credit to a manager for how their workgroup operates when they're gone. If they have a group of primarily 20-30 year couriers that have worked together for decades and aren't trying to screw each other then they could probably take a whole month of and not have any major issues.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You can't necessarily blame or give credit to a manager for how their workgroup operates when they're gone. If they have a group of primarily 20-30 year couriers that have worked together for decades and aren't trying to screw each other then they could probably take a whole month of and not have any major issues.
You mean an experienced courier is valuable? Seems to go against the grain of Memphis' philosophy. ..

59 Dano

Again, there's a lot more responsibility to the job than 99% of couriers see or even care about. If I have to worry about me, and only me, for a given period of time, I'm sure I could handle that without any problems either.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

But didn't you say this particular shipper had a track record of cheating the system? If so, they needed to be on your radar. Since they screwed you again, your bad.

Leadership failure.

59 Dano

But didn't you say this particular shipper had a track record of cheating the system? If so, they needed to be on your radar. Since they screwed you again, your bad.

Leadership failure.

Armchair QB, and for good reason.

SmithBarney

Thanks for everyone's reply to my question regarding FO packages I submitted this morning. It intrigues me on how someone would even thiink making FO deliveries to rural areas profitable to the company to begin with. Probably is a service UPS is providing and we think we have to follow suit

It's profitable because it's an extra 50-80$ so if if only costs you 30 minutes and you are topped out it only costs the company ~$17 to deliver it....roughly not including fuel etc... but you get the idea, FO is a pure money grab.

Not seeing the big picture. First of oll this fo del will extend my on road time and will most likely result in overtime changing our 17 dollar profit to 10 dollars. Now I have to break off running p1 and e2 deliveries together thirty min earlier to make p1 deliveries and pups down the road. this results in backtracking to finish e2 deliveries normally in total darkness. (There goes our ten dollar profit...). I agree that fo packages are a big money maker for fedex, but I believe that each zip should be reviewed to determine if they are profitable or not,