FO question

dex 84

I agree that sometimes it actually loses money, but did you consider how the extra money for FO service is pure profit when we have a service disruption due to weather?

outtatime

Not seeing the big picture. First of oll this fo del will extend my on road time and will most likely result in overtime changing our 17 dollar profit to 10 dollars. Now I have to break off running p1 and e2 deliveries together thirty min earlier to make p1 deliveries and pups down the road. this results in backtracking to finish e2 deliveries normally in total darkness. (There goes our ten dollar profit...). I agree that fo packages are a big money maker for fedex, but I believe that each zip should be reviewed to determine if they are profitable or not,
Yes it does suck to have to break route an go deliver an FO then backtrack and be behind the 8 ball all day long. However, let management worry about the numbers and work as directed. Really though, how often do you have to deliver an FO?

Not many maybe two a week. But let's again look at big picture. Let's say every rural route courier in the good old USA has to deal with with this headache every week. Millions of revenue being lost due to some group who think this is a profitable concept.

It will be fine

Not many maybe two a week. But let's again look at big picture. Let's say every rural route courier in the good old USA has to deal with with this headache every week. Millions of revenue being lost due to some group who think this is a profitable concept.
I would guess offering the service everywhere generates enough revenue to make it profitable. How many couriers easily drop them off without much trouble in the tight urban areas? Those profits subsidize the occasional ones you get.

dex 84

Or you could just not offer it in the zip codes you're losing money in, and make even more profit off the urban ones. There's already plenty of zips where it's not offered...

It will be fine

Or you could just not offer it in the zip codes you're losing money in, and make even more profit off the urban ones. There's already plenty of zips where it's not offered...
Then you risk losing customers to the competition if they offer the service everywhere. Shippers like it easy, one company handles all their stuff. If they have to pick and choose based on zip they might just leave altogether.

dex 84

Then you risk losing customers to the competition if they offer the service everywhere. Shippers like it easy, one company handles all their stuff. If they have to pick and choose based on zip they might just leave altogether.

Because if we don't guarantee delivery by noon to the middle of nowhere then what good are we? 4:30 pm commitment for a town that is a four hours drive from the nearest major city? That's much too late. Unless UPS isn't offering any better.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Not seeing the big picture. First of oll this fo del will extend my on road time and will most likely result in overtime changing our 17 dollar profit to 10 dollars. Now I have to break off running p1 and e2 deliveries together thirty min earlier to make p1 deliveries and pups down the road. this results in backtracking to finish e2 deliveries normally in total darkness. (There goes our ten dollar profit...)

Offset by the profit of all the other FOs that are delivered without issue.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

But not very rural route courier has to deal with this. There are many who can make service on them without breaking route and many more who don't have any at all. In this district we usually let them be late as opposed to breaking route to make service. Depends on the situation.

As long as we're making goal on FO service, no one cares.

dex 84

How often do you guys drop off an FO only to drive by there later in the day and see it still sitting where you left it? Happens here all of the time.

Or deliver one to a receiving dock only to go back two hours later with their regular delivery and see the FO still sitting there untouched...

outtatime

Or deliver one to a receiving dock only to go back two hours later with their regular delivery and see the FO still sitting there untouched...
Or my favorite, having an FO to a place you know doesn't open until after 10am. Then in that case it gets taken back to the station and the PM courier gets to deliver it in the afternoon. I just don't get the thinking of some people who ship stuff.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Armchair QB, and for good reason.

No. Your failure to either deal with the shipper and/or re-label the packages is on you, the manager. How do you know I've never been in management at FedEx. I take great pains to conceal my identity, including intentional red herrings.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or my favorite, having an FO to a place you know doesn't open until after 10am. Then in that case it gets taken back to the station and the PM courier gets to deliver it in the afternoon. I just don't get the thinking of some people who ship stuff.

True, but I ran FO for about 2 years at a station with a very early commit in a large city. We're talking human tissue, vital meds, medical/surgical items,airline tickets/passports and replacement parts for downed assembly lines/production. Yes, there were times when it wasn't important or a mis-marked AWB, but 70% of the time or better they wanted it yesterday, and it was a very big deal if we effed it up.

outtatime

True, but I ran FO for about 2 years at a station with a very early commit in a large city. We're talking human tissue, vital meds, medical/surgical items,airline tickets/passports and replacement parts for downed assembly lines/production. Yes, there were times when it wasn't important or a mis-marked AWB, but 70% of the time or better they wanted it yesterday, and it was a very big deal if we effed it up.
What does this have to do with stores that are getting an FO but not opening until 10am? I didn't say all FO was unneeded that early, just that shippers were not thinking about opening times of the recipient and wasting their money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What does this have to do with stores that are getting an FO but not opening until 10am? I didn't say all FO was unneeded that early, just that shippers were not thinking about opening times of the recipient and wasting their money.

I agreed with you. First word..."true". You're right that some shippers waste money. I was pointing out that my experience had been somewhat different.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I used to get FO's for a restaurant chain that didn't open until 11:00AM. It got to a point I would just drive by, look at the parking lot and if there wasn't a car there or any lights on it automatically got a dex 08 and the PO courier got to reattempt it. Couldn't help but think how much money the chain was losing using this service but then again it was probably made up for by increased costs on their menu.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to get FO's for a restaurant chain that didn't open until 11:00AM. It got to a point I would just drive by, look at the parking lot and if there wasn't a car there or any lights on it automatically got a dex 08 and the PO courier got to reattempt it. Couldn't help but think how much money the chain was losing using this service but then again it was probably made up for by increased costs on their menu.

We have to actually stop at the address, walk up to the front door, scan the package, scan a delivery notice, fill out and place on front door. We even have to do this for businesses that are known closures for the day.