Following DOT Regs

Pump Up The Volume

Is it against dot guidelines for management or hourlies to deliver or perform shuttle work in personal vehicles? Does this statement conflict with reimbursement for standard mileage rates? Moreover, what if the packages being delivered are hazardous materials? Wouldn't the aforementioned need a dot card, commercial vehicle license, business placard, or hazmat paperwork?

drewed

Shankman
Is it against dot guidelines for management or hourlies to deliver or perform shuttle work in personal vehicles? Does this statement conflict with reimbursement for standard mileage rates? Moreover, what if the packages being delivered are hazardous materials? Wouldn't the aforementioned need a dot card, commercial vehicle license, business placard, or hazmat paperwork?
For the hazmat, much like the air side of things i believe is determined by the amount of hazmat being moved and to and fro.

Pump Up The Volume

Through city tunnels prohibiting hazmats?

But how is it possible to perform commercial work in a personal car, isn't that bypassing federal or state guidelines?

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Why do I need a UPS vehicle to deliver parcels. Why can't I just use my car?

Any time they delivered out of cars or transported pkgs in my center they always had a dot placard placed in the car. Don't know the reasons, but that is how they did it.

I would imagine that it is a flavor of the month thing, when they feel like doing it right and have the time they do and when time dosen't permit they just do what they want....:happy2:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have used my personal vehicle more time than I can recall. Mostly for air work and "for a favor " to some sup. on my way home, also since I live near the airport for late night shuttles.
When I first started as an exception air driver ( 1987 ) using my personal vehicle was normal. ( got paid $.10/ mile ), since there were no other PCs available.
I used nothing to identify my vehicle as UPS car.
I know of no rule that prohibits us from using our personal vehicles for the movement of parcels; good example is when there are late airs the sups and available office staff use their own cars to do driver meet points.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have used my personal vehicle more time than I can recall. Mostly for air work and "for a favor " to some sup. on my way home, also since I live near the airport for late night shuttles.
When I first started as an exception air driver ( 1987 ) using my personal vehicle was normal. ( got paid $.10/ mile ), since there were no other PCs available.
I used nothing to identify my vehicle as UPS car.
I know of no rule that prohibits us from using our personal vehicles for the movement of parcels; good example is when there are late airs the sups and available office staff use their own cars to do driver meet points.

It's in article 40 air operations IIRC. Personal vehicles can be used to shuttle and deliver packages, perhaps as exception air, too late to look it up right now. But it's definitly legitimate

don't tell "the criminal" that ;)

Pump Up The Volume

I follow that the government sets the mileage rates at the applicable IRS rate. I believe it's 55 cents per mile as of January 1. I'm sure it's restated in the contract somewhere, just because it's one of those laws that works in favor of the employee.

I speculate that once a personal vehicle performs commercial work on state or federal roads, that vehicle must conform to department of transportation standards not UPS exceptions. That would mean at least a business logo on the vehicle. If it's a hazard, then placards on the vehicle. Then what about commercial plates, dot card, dot numbers, flares etc...I would imagine some hefty fines levied for violations.

As an aside would I still need to practice the smith system

some1else

Banned
i used to drive my personal car occasionally as i could run it for about .20 a mile and come out ahead... the contract does have new language about ups providing insurance for any accidents when doing this...
if you carefully document and have a car thats cheap to operate you can come out ahead.

Pump Up The Volume

Why can't I just put parcels in the cab?
They can go flying through the windshield in a personal car THAT DOESN"T HAVE A BULKHEAD DOOR just as easily as in a brownie.
A safety or dot contradiction?
And what about intrastate commerce?