Following Methods + Not Caring About THEIR Numbers = Easy Breezy Peak Seasons

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
I would like to see a copy of the methods for preloaders. That would be something to see.

in over 20 years of full time preload i could never get them to give me a OJS. every time there was any kind of problem with my performance i would ask for one and the conversation would end. i finally got a look at the preload methods book and found out they are designed around a three car boxline assignment. well they don't relate to a 5 car assignment that i and most ever preloader had!

El Correcto

god is dead
Why would you get fired for doing the job the correct way?
I don't know how all that works yet, so I just work as directed and keep my numbers good. I follow my methods but don't use them as an excuse to not work hard and make my numbers. I'm incident free and bonus a majority of the time. Some guys will even follow trace 100% unless it means missed air and business, which is just stubborn because they know management won't care if you hit things in a more efficient way and beat the orion numbers.
Edit: This also seems to make them want me to go out blind and cover routes when something happens guaranteeing me more work. I could of worked today but didn't because the weather was :censored2: and I didn't have to.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't know how all that works yet, so I just work as directed and keep my numbers good. I follow my methods but don't use them as an excuse to not work hard and make my numbers. I'm incident free and bonus a majority of the time. Some guys will even follow trace 100% unless it means missed air and business, which is just stubborn because they know management won't care if you hit things in a more efficient way and beat the orion numbers.
Edit: This also seems to make them want me to go out blind and cover routes when something happens guaranteeing me more work. I could of worked today but didn't because the weather was :censored2: and I didn't have to.
This is the future of this company
All I can do is
SMH!!!

Omega man

Over two years ago I decided to start focusing on following the methods. I quickly realized that the only way to really be able to pull that off was to simply not care about their numbers anymore. I never really was one of those guys that beat myself up over not "running under" but I did pay attention and even figured out which routes had fair time allowances. Following over 330 methods is actually quite difficult but the trick is to focus on the safety related methods and and other things that should never be skipped. The end result has been the easiest two years I've had as a driver and that includes peak season.

It's been sweet. I feel better physically and mentally. Most of the nagging pains in my feet, legs, back, etc., have went away and I don't feel nearly as tired/fatigued after work as I did before. The biggest change is how I feel when I get out of bed in the morning. I'm not quite as rigor mortis stiff as I used to be and its getting better all the time.

Sure.....on paper I'm probably "least best" in just about every single metric category in the center's operation reports. And I have likely been the subject of many conference calls (many of which resulted in my management team being verbally assaulted via said conference calls and/or emails) behind closed doors. And I know for a fact that I've be resented by the slew of runner and gunner/balls to the wall/bonus baby/must always work in "beast mode" types in my center for having to come take work off me every once in a while. Particularly during peak when they think that the extra volume surely means that we all should have to replicate their foolish behavior. They can't stand having to help those of us that actually have the balls to follow the methods during peak. But do I care?...?....?.....LOL! NOPE.

I have actually enjoyed my job every since I've been on cruise control. And my dispatches are usually kept under 9.5 hours and if not.....well.....I gladly file and accept the penalty pay. This job really is a breeze if done correctly. I suggest that everyone try it. You won't regret it. But learn your contract and be prepared to prove that you will not be intimated by management. Because they will definitely try to once their numbers are affected. Especially if they even think you cared about their numbers before. But don't give in. Not even during peak season. It's worth it.

Good......You have seen the light.
Following the methods is the best way you can insure your longevity at UPS. It will enable you to make it to retirement healthy.
BTW, there are not 340 different methods. The UPS Industrial Engineering Standard Practice Manual SERVICE PROVIDER DELIVERY AND PICKUP METHODS is simply called the 340 methods. The last one I have is version 340-E.

Overpaid Union Thug

The only numbers you need to worry about are 0 accidents, 0 injuries, and the number on your paycheck. And following the methods is a way to work smart, safe, and efficiently. Not an excuse to not work hard.

35years

Gravy route
If you have made seniority it is time for you to STOP looking at the under/over numbers. I have not even seen my over/under numbers in over 10 years.

Guess what happens when you concentrate on doing the job safely and properly with the same effort 100% of the time... They leave you alone because nothing they do or say to you changes your behavior. They eventually stop over dispatching you because you automatically file 9.5s every time. The harassment won't affect you because you know you are already doing it the right way (not the way they sometimes want).

Believe me, I was a runner-gunner for 10 years. Your body will not hold up over a long career if you play the production game. Retrain yourself to move in the way that causes the least stress on your body, and not just the safe work methods.

For example...
Do you pivot you body before standing up from your seat?
Do you use two hands to buckle-in (passing the seat belt from one to the other)?
Do you step off the vehicle without pounding your foot on the ground?
Do you set the boxes on the step before stepping off yourself?
Do you refuse to pull a heavily loaded cart up/down stairs, unloading it if necessary?
Do you grasp/hold packages without clinching/squeezing with your hands (avoid the Vulcan death grip).

How you do these motions and 100+ others will determine if you will have the option of making it all the way to retirement at UPS without being essentially crippled.

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
Guess what happens when you concentrate on doing the job safely and properly with the same effort 100% of the time... They leave you alone because nothing they do or say to you changes your behavior. They eventually stop over dispatching you because you automatically file 9.5s every time. The harassment won't affect you because you know you are already doing it the right way (not the way they sometimes want
I appreciate your feed back and always tell the individuals I go to help, safety first one stop at a time.

I have nothing against the ones who work by their contract and do the job the best they can fighting management for better working conditions.
I follow ORION as close to 100% as possible because that's what I get paid to do.
You could be getting paid more $ to beat orion and go help people staying out later, especially if management knows you are not out :censored2:ing around and get it done.

End of the day all I care about is not hurting the public with stupid decisions and my money.

El Correcto

god is dead
you have no clue about ORION.... paid more to beat it???? haha, just follow it$$$$$$
I don't claim to know much, kind of in the name. Appreciate it though, maybe I'm confused about my bonus time not being :censored2:ed with even though I stay out later helping people for over time. About to go to bed so quick feedback is appreciate before I go to work tomarrow. Won't change anything until I check my number for my weekly check though, so I guess it doesn't matter but still appreciated.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
I don't claim to know much, kind of in the name. Appreciate it though, maybe I'm confused about my bonus time not being :censored2:ed with even though I stay out later helping people for over time. About to go to bed so quick feedback is appreciate before I go to work tomarrow. Won't change anything until I check my number for my weekly check though, so I guess it doesn't matter but still appreciated.
there are many threads about ORION, you just have to search and learn so we'll be able to elaborate!

El Correcto

god is dead
there are many threads about ORION, you just have to search and learn so we'll be able to elaborate!
Thank you for the quick reply, does finishing my route and switching to someone elses route effect the bonus time for my route though? Sorry if I seem ****ish and to the point but I'm about to go to sleep and have no time to research.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
How you do these motions and 100+ others will determine if you will have the option of making it all the way to retirement at UPS without being essentially crippled.
Runners, slugs, method men, everyone retires with some damage done.....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Runners, slugs, method men, everyone retires with some damage done.....
the good news is that a lot of that damage can be undone. i only have been retired for 6 months and now close to being in best shape of my life. getting proper sleep , good diet , and exercise that i enjoy has worked wonders. feel 10 years younger and much , much happier.

granted, still have some aches. some arthritis in hands and hip when weather is cold but that is somewhat remedied by long hot baths.

i did some running and gunning earlier in my career but luckier listened to some of the oldtimers and started using safe work methods for about the last 15 years of my career.

funny thing . i usually worked better , faster, and more effieciently than most of my gunner co workers and had less stress and more job satisfaction as a result.

hope this helps.

hellfire

the good news is that a lot of that damage can be undone. i only have been retired for 6 months and now close to being in best shape of my life. getting proper sleep , good diet , and exercise that i enjoy has worked wonders. feel 10 years younger and much , much happier.

granted, still have some aches. some arthritis in hands and hip when weather is cold but that is somewhat remedied by long hot baths.

i did some running and gunning earlier in my career but luckier listened to some of the oldtimers and started using safe work methods for about the last 15 years of my career.

funny thing . i usually worked better , faster, and more effieciently than most of my gunner co workers and had less stress and more job satisfaction as a result.

hope this helps.
You only did the job for 25 yrs, correct? How much in PC?

AZ Retired

allegedly went "Brett Favre" with his cell.
I started focusing on the methods the day I got my own route. The best is when your followed for 30 minutes and all they could come up with was that I was carrying a 1 pound softball size box with one hand and not two.

I also wake up every morning without the stiffness or pain. Peak is just no different that June to me, except its colder.

I follow Orion street for street without care if it makes sense. Whatever, its what they want.
I don't know what Orion is, I haven't been in package since 1999 but as a security sup in the early 2000s I was once asked by a ft sup why the swing drivers on a particular route ran much fewer miles than the regular driver did. Also the sup said that the swing drivers beat the route while the regular guy got beat (over allowed) consistently. I don't remember the name of the report but I got it from the package dispatch guys and it showed the regular driver followed trace at 97% while the swing drivers did not. There was no further communication from the center to me about the driver.

hellfire

I don't know what Orion is, I haven't been in package since 1999 but as a security sup in the early 2000s I was once asked by a ft sup why the swing drivers on a particular route ran much fewer miles than the regular driver did. Also the sup said that the swing drivers beat the route while the regular guy got beat (over allowed) consistently. I don't remember the name of the report but I got it from the package dispatch guys and it showed the regular driver followed trace at 97% while the swing drivers did not. There was no further communication from the center to me about the driver.
OK , I will bite, define "trace"

Dr.Brownz

[

Yep sounds like UPS management. The guy tasked with supervising drivers cant figure out simple things like "oh hey UPS's idea of trace is not the optimal way to do the route! der her derr......!:"