Food for thought maybe

Do you like your job at UPS?

• I love what I do. ITs tough at times, but I love it

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • Nope, I hate everything about my job. Its just a paycheck

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • The pay is nice. But if I could find another job that pays this well...

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • I dont know

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I had a PM that got me to thinking. Actually several.

Some of the management folk have thought that I was anti UPS all the way, others, hourly mostly, have posted that they dont understand my defense of UPS in a lot of situations.

And then there was the one yesterday, a driver of many years that is like I was, loved my job, just not some of the BS that went with it.

I pretty much loved the job I held as a UPS deliveryman. While the hours were long, it did allow for me to afford a lot of special time with the family. Yup, I did miss a lot of little special times that I wished I could have seen, but over all, the sacrifices made were worth the outcome.

Does that mean there could not have been improvements? And those improvements to our jobs are the reason some posters think I am anti-UPS.

I even enjoyed holding the position of steward.

Had it not been for the initial knee injury, I would probably still been at UPS now.

Maybe that is one of the reasons I understood Marty working as long as he did.

IF you really love what you do, then it ceases to be work.

I know that a lot of people come on here to bash UPS/sups, and it feeds on itself once it starts.

But how many people really like what they do at UPS?

d

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I do.

I cannot imagine the sameness of working at a desk for 8 hours or an assembly line like a paid robot.

(Not that there is anything wrong with these types of occupations)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I used to love what I do. I still love major parts of it, but feels its a job now for the younger group. I cant even move on Saturday. My knees and hips, and ankles are on the way to the junkyard. Am not looking forward to the cold winter. Arthur doesnt like.

I think UPS is like any other job in one respect; if you stay there long enough, you'll find a few things that drive you bonkers. I love seeing my customers every day, and they love seeing me. I love seeing the looks on their faces when they receive the packages they ordered. But the nonsense that goes along with the job gets a little ridiculous at times. Sometimes that nonsense comes from management, sometimes from customers, and sometimes from other hourlies. But then, nonsense will take place with any job you have. And I'm sure the members of management who post at this board have things that drive them bonkers. It's just part of the job. Enjoy what you can, do the best you can to deal with the rest.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's good work, but it's still work. I can do it and the money's good, but I won't miss it when I'm gone.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I like my job and find it interesting and stimulating. The commute is my only bitch ... wonder if UPS will ever buy into telecommuting.

TheDick

I think UPS is like any other job in one respect; if you stay there long enough, you'll find a few things that drive you bonkers. I love seeing my customers every day, and they love seeing me. I love seeing the looks on their faces when they receive the packages they ordered. But the nonsense that goes along with the job gets a little ridiculous at times. Sometimes that nonsense comes from management, sometimes from customers, and sometimes from other hourlies. But then, nonsense will take place with any job you have. And I'm sure the members of management who post at this board have things that drive them bonkers. It's just part of the job. Enjoy what you can, do the best you can to deal with the rest.

+1

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
This used to be alot of fun, the switch in management philosophy to numbers over service has also switched the fun off!! I understand money is tighter but they dont have to try and fire evryone for every little thing!!

The way I see it, A happy driver is a productive driver!!!

over9five

Staff member
Not enough options for answers in your poll. I can't say I love the job.

I guess my answer would be:

I am satisfied with my job.

island1fox

:wink2:I had many more highs than lows in my 36 UPS years----even with the ups and downs --if I could do it over again -I would travel the same road.I know some of the young people will disagree --when you finally retire and look back you see things so differently. The little daily worries or concerns do not seem so important as they once did. What I will remember most are the PEOPLE --notice I did not say MGMT or DRIVERS or PART-TIMERS ---I said and I mean the PEOPLE !!!:happy2:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Didnt answer the poll. The right option wasn't there. I like being a feeder driver. I like working at night. Going to work isn't even really work , its just going through the motions to get to my paycheck at the end of the week. What a pleasure it is to be 5 years out of package.:wink2:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
When I first started I didn't think I would've lasted over 15 years. I used to work behind a desk and I used to "zone-out" looking out the office windows thinking these must be something better out there.

The basic idea of delivering packages intrigued me. I love being outdoors and seeing/interacting with people one on one.

All this grief about making numbers and working late hours, well...if you're not used to it by now you should have walked long ago.

Look around, people are so worried about their jobs. A career change at this point is financial suicide for me. I'm a long way from retirement, a pipe dream that I cannot comprehend just yet.

Dustyroads

I like what I do, if that were not the case, I would have not spent 30 years of my life in package cars. There are things that I've not liked about the company over the years, but that has little to do with the job I do. I enjoy my working for my customers, and I love the feeling when I get out of the building and onto the Interstate and push the fuel pedel.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Up until just recently (since the beginning of the year) I liked my job but I didn't love it. Mostly it was because of my mgt team but also because of the other drivers I work with. I had a hard time just getting my job done and then would have to get help. Of course this caused all kinds of hate and discontent (and verbal abuse).

Things changed this year. Most notably was my attitude towards my job (thanks again Lifer). But also my mgt team changed for the better. Let me clarify, it's not my whole mgt team, it's my on-road that changed. So, yes, I do love my job.

The following is just my own opinion:

Danny, as far as some thinking that you are pro this or pro that, or even anti this or anti that, I don't think so. I think you (generally) look at things in black and white, what is right and wrong. I do say 'generally' because I think that sometimes you are a little narrow minded, no I am going to change that to singled minded. I think that on occasion you forget that everyone has a right to there own opinion. You defend your opinion to the end (and there is nothing wrong with this), but you can't or won't accept anothers right to defend their own opinion. :happy2::peaceful:

I can`t say love or hate anymore because the job isn`t the same. Where I used to work long hours to make service to the customer I now work long hours to make the numbers at our barn look better. It seems like anymore we`re just trying to push the logjam off to the next guy. I`m also finding harder to have any respect for some of the new people,both mgmt and driving. The new sups tell you things so absurd that will get you hurt and the new drivers make you wonder who ok`d their promotion to feeder. Maybe I`m getting old and cranky and my b.s. sugarcoating pills don`t work.
Where`s my prune juice.

rocket man

I like ups...>. I like being a union member. I get so fustrated with managers ,WHO break almost every rule they try enforce.I get fustrated with drivers who think our customers owe them somthing because we drive for ups. AND DRIVERS WHO COMPLAIN THE COMPANY DOSE NOT DO ANYTHING FOR GUYS/ GIRLS Who are retiring but these wondreful people wont take them out for a night. after working with them 10 20 years ect its sad. GUYS who are worried about layoffs, But run like hell to get done skip lunch, people who come in a hour early in morning to see what route they have to go in car when its being loaded to set it up, so they can get done early. So they come in early work off clock so they can get home early/??????????? Drivers who think the union is a fire dept. Never go to meetings never just pick up phone call there bussiness agent just say iHELLO thanks for being there. Basically im not fond of managment, BUT for the most part of sick of certian co workers who are so stuck up afraid of the big bad company even though we have a great union. IF WE Could get half the drivers to stick up for there rights we would have less layoffs. I have bills and a house car payments ect to. LETS take advantage of what WE have not over do it I think wed have a better place to work,.